Which oil for my FSG?

wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
I have a really quick, probably slightly dumb question. I am toying with the idea of (and most likely going to) put oil in my batch of FSG that I'm making today or tomorrow. I have two oils, one that absorbs into the hair shaft (EVOO) and one that doesn't absorb/is good for sealing (Apricot oil). Which oil is best to put in FSG, or does it not matter? I'm thinking Apricot would be good, because it's like sealing and applying products in one, and then I'm thinking EVOO, because it will nourish my hair and benefit it because it absorbs in. So, I'm right back where I started! Lovely FSG-making wavies, do you have an answer? TIA! :thumbleft:
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Comments

• Melie.Melie. Posts: 43Registered Users
    The only oil that penetrates is Extra Virgin coconut oil, although EVOO is really good for shine in small amounts because since it sits on top of your hair it can get greasy and depending on your hair type, it may way it down.

HTH :)
    Melie. 2c Coarse Porous(damaged) Learning to battle The FL humid weather, but I love it here!!!
    Trying CG as of 7/8/11

I will try anything on my hair!:jocolor:

:blob2:Youtube channel: MsMelySoto
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Melie. wrote: »
    The only oil that penetrates is Extra Virgin coconut oil, although EVOO is really good for shine in small amounts because since it sits on top of your hair it can get greasy and depending on your hair type, it may way it down.

HTH :)

+1, all the others are not absorbed.
    Olive oil is going to be quite heavy and have that "olive-y" smell. Even I can put a drop or 2 of apricot kernel oil in FSG without a problem.

If anybody in your family takes vitamin E, you can pierce a capsule or 2 with a needle and use that oil. It's usually based on soy oil, but the vitamin E in it is really nice in FSG.
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Posts: 142Registered Users
    I use whatever I have on hand or want to get rid of. I usually use evoo, grapeseed, sweet almond, vit e, or jojoba oils

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This link says olive oil does penetrate.
    Two Natural Oils That Make Your Hair Shiny and Strong
    I'm not a scientist, so I have no idea.
    ETA: this link from the natural haven
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/moisturing-hair-oils.html
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That trumps the articles I read, I guess, datewise (I read 2 and olive oil was shown not to penetrate the hair shaft in one of them. But then again, the methods and measuring devices used matter a lot.

I wouldn't use olive oil for fine hair, but I used to use it as a pre-wash on occasion (like when my ends "disappeared.") People like me don't want the oil to "soak in" because it makes fine hair heavy. For your thick hair, I think you can use whatever you like.
    It makes sense that the shorter-chain component of the olive oil can soak in - but what about the rest of it?
    Ah well, looking forward to hearing what worked for you.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm really liking avocado oil in mine. I have apricot kernel oil but got it after I made the last batch of FSG so haven't tried it in there yet.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    Quite frankly, you could add both. I have used a mix of oils before, and it worked very well.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Thanks for the link, Pedaheh! I thought I was going crazy -- I could've sworn EVOO was able to be absorbed! :) I still desperately want to try coconut oil, though! ;) And thanks to all the other responses! You guys reassured me that I could use any oil I wanted, but the apricot might be a better choice. But, I just had to take IAgirl's advice and use the Vitamin E capsules when I made it yesterday. (I couldn't help myself -- it sounded so interesting that I had to try it!) I don't know how it turned out (I'll be using it in a little while after I shower), but something weird did happen. I added the rest of my goodies in after I had strained the gel and added the cornstarch and was reducing it -- honey, GSE, vitamin E oil, and lavender -- and someTHING (or things) didn't mix well, because I had to strain it again, even though I had already gotten all the seeds out. There were big globs of something -- I'm not sure if it was the cornstarch, because it didn't seem to dissolve in the water and formed some lumps that I tried to stir out when I added it to the gel, or if a couple of things just didn't mix or what. The vita-E looked like it morphed into really tiny little balls in the gel. Well, I'll see what I get today and report back!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file