Kosher Kurls - are these ingredients CG safe?

4liberty4liberty Registered Users Posts: 3
I've been lurking here since 2007 but never posted until now--so hello! :-)

A few days ago, I was given a free sample of a new product called Kosher Kurls. It's billed as a leave-in conditioner/scrunch-in curl enhancer. I've used it twice, and I'm impressed with the results--my hair is curlier than with my current curl gel and softer with no frizz or crunch.

Before I buy a bottle of this rather pricey stuff ($18 for 8 ounces), I'm wondering if anyone sees any no-no ingredients in this list:

INGREDIENTS: water, glycerin, amodimethicone, hydrolyzed wheat protein/pvp crosspolymer, stearalkonium chloride, methylgluceth-20, hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, octyl methoxycinnamate, hydroxyethyl cellulose, jojoba oil, safflower oil, primrose oil, wheat amino acid, crosilk, hydrolyzed collagen (marine), phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, fd&cyellow 6/ci 19630, fd&cyellow 5/ci 19620, fragrance.

I've been shampoo-free for three years and don't want to wreck my hair, but I'm really liking this product! Thanks!!!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    4liberty wrote: »
    I've been lurking here since 2007 but never posted until now--so hello! :-)

A few days ago, I was given a free sample of a new product called Kosher Kurls. It's billed as a leave-in conditioner/scrunch-in curl enhancer. I've used it twice, and I'm impressed with the results--my hair is curlier than with my current curl gel and softer with no frizz or crunch.

Before I buy a bottle of this rather pricey stuff ($18 for 8 ounces), I'm wondering if anyone sees any no-no ingredients in this list:

INGREDIENTS: water, glycerin, amodimethicone, hydrolyzed wheat protein/pvp crosspolymer, stearalkonium chloride, methylgluceth-20, hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, octyl methoxycinnamate, hydroxyethyl cellulose, jojoba oil, safflower oil, primrose oil, wheat amino acid, crosilk, hydrolyzed collagen (marine), phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, fd&cyellow 6/ci 19630, fd&cyellow 5/ci 19620, fragrance.

I've been shampoo-free for three years and don't want to wreck my hair, but I'm really liking this product! Thanks!!!

Amodimethicone is a cone.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 4liberty4liberty Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks, kathymack!
  • yossarianyossarian Registered Users Posts: 967
    Hi, I was considering buying this product (although I'm somewhat ambivalent now that I know it's not CG-compliant!).

What did you think of the scent? What would you compare the smell to?

Thanks!

Julie
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • 4liberty4liberty Registered Users Posts: 3
    It has a light, pleasant scent that's hard to describe, because it isn't fruity or flowery or perfume-y...kind of like a mild clean soapy scent, maybe? I can't smell it once it dries on my hair.

You can order a free sample at kosherkurls.com. Although it isn't CG-compliant, my hair loves this stuff. It's never looked better. I've been using it for 4 months or so and haven't seen any buildup problem or damage.
  • Anne.GreeneAnne.Greene Registered Users Posts: 1
    I don't know about the other ingredients, but I stay away from parabens, all of them, because they've been linked to causing cancer.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    amodimethicone is a cone, however all the research indicates that it does not build up. if i found a product that i liked with this cone i would still use it. maybe do a low poo once a week or so.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • KosherKurlsKosherKurls Registered Users Posts: 1
    Just to give everyone an update, there are no parabens in Kosher Kurls products now! Some of the old labels might have a cone listed, and the new shampoo is sulfate free! Thanks for helping us pass the Kurls around! Your Kurlfriends from Kosher Kurls!
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    It's technically not CG because it contains amodimethicone, however, amodimethicone was actually used in earlier formulations of Devacurl products. Amodimethicone is supposed to resist buildup. So, if it's agreeing with your hair, I don't see why you can't use it. If you really want to get rid of the cone, a gentle low-poo with cocamidopropyl betaine or coco betaine will get rid of it. There are many low-poos with this ingredient available, and even some cleansing conditioners such as CJ Daily Fix and KMF Whenever conditioner.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list