FSG and coconut oil

madametjmadametj Posts: 119Registered Users
Why does the wiki page say not to use coconut oil because of a low melting point or something? I don't understand. I was planning on adding coconut oil as an anti-humectant....
Hair Type: 3b/3c (I think! lol)

Quit using heat 9 months ago :)

Comments

• FrannieGoytFrannieGoyt Posts: 114Registered Users
    I added coconut oil once and the texture was fine at first but then is solidified and there were white clumps of it in my gel and it was weird and grainy. It's because it melts at like 75degrees and the only way I can think it would be possible is If it stayed at that temp.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I always use coconut oil in mine. I add it while still hot off the stove, but I whisk well. I also whisk every so often while it's cooling. Then when it's cool enough I add the rest of my additions and whisk well again. I never have problems with it.
    If it should solidify, just holding the bottle under hot tap water would melt it again then just give it a good shake.
    But I think if mixed well it really shouldn't be a problem since when you rub gel between your hands it would melt any tiny solidified oil.
  • cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
    I added coconut oil once and the texture was fine at first but then is solidified and there were white clumps of it in my gel and it was weird and grainy. It's because it melts at like 75degrees and the only way I can think it would be possible is If it stayed at that temp.

The same thing happened to when I added just one tablespoon of coconut oil to my FSG. My daughter asked why do I have white clumps all over my hair LOL. Now I keep simple and just add 3 drops of lavender oil .

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Live For Today!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file