Hey ladies! My mom needs some advice.

sleepyjesssleepyjess Registered Users Posts: 297
So I've been explaining to my mom about CG, and avoiding sulfates and silicones and why I do. She seemed interested and asked me to take a look at the ingredients on her hair products. All her stuff has non-water soluble silicones, and most have harsh sulfates. I explained to her the kind of vicious cycle that is sulfates and silicones, but added that since her hair is very short and only the slightest bit wavy (like, not even 2a wavy), she could probably do okay washing with sulfates and such.

Her biggest concern is keeping color in. My sister is getting married and the dog need surgery, so we're trying to be as frugal as we can, and she is hoping to be able to go to the colorist less.

Mom does seem concerned with sulfates, but doesn't seem to really want to switch to low-poo and silicone free conditioner. Are there any suggestions you can give for products that would help keep color? And should I suggest to her to learn ingredients and read the ingredient lists to find low-poos/silicone free conditioners? Her hair looks and feels fine, albeit a little dry, but not terribly.

Thanks! :love2:
Oregon curly!
Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
Mod-CG since Nov '10
Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
RO: Desert Essences Coconut
Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Here's what I know about hair color: It's worst enemy is water. The less she washes the better to keep color in. Protein will help hold color. I'll look some things up tomorrow when it's not so late...
    Hope the dog will make a good recovery.
  • lazy_wavylazy_wavy Registered Users Posts: 36
    I'm not an expert in haircolor or chemistry, but I'm sure that sulfate shampoos would fade color faster than water alone or a low-poo. If they are stripping oil and silicones from the hair, then they can't be gentle on the color. (Isn't that why they make special shampoos for "color-treated hair?") Maybe she could try switching to a low-poo, and see if that gives her better results with her color.
    2c using mod-CG
    Thick & coarse, weak wave pattern, protein-sensitive
    Shampoo: Avalon Organics Olive
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner; AOHR
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner
    Wavy styling: KCCC or GF Pure Clean Gel
    Straight styling: Kiehl's Silk Groom
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I vote low poo and occasional sulfate shampoo if she gets build up.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    I color mine, and less washing and cutting out sulfates really helps me keep my color fresh.
    This is from some research I did (reading articles about cosmetics chemistry) for something else: Hair which has been colored fades because hair dye is somewhat soluble in water, red dye being the most soluble. Damaged or bleached hair loses color faster than undamaged hair because it is more porous. Anionic and cationic surfactants (in nearly all shampoos and conditioners) actually hasten fading by increasing the “wetting” action of water.

Certain polymer ingredients can create water-repellent barriers which bond to the cuticle and prevent water from entering the hair shaft and leaching out dye. Look for leave-in or rinse-out products containing Polyquaternium-55, which is specifically formulated to protect your color from fading.

Color-protecting products with specific ingredients can help your color last longer.

So here are some products which contain this ingredient and are "CG":

TIGI Bed Head Foxy Curls Conditioner
    Pureology InstantRepair (water-soluble silicone)
    Shielo Antioxidant Leave In Protectant
    Jason Natural Normalizing Conditioner, Rosewater & Chamomile
    Jason Natural Cosmetics Salon: Volumizing Conditioner - Kiwi & Apricot
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Registered Users Posts: 297
    Wow! Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I'll definitely pass the info along. You all are awesome!
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    This is from some research I did (reading articles about cosmetics chemistry) for something else: Hair which has been colored fades because hair dye is somewhat soluble in water, red dye being the most soluble. Damaged or bleached hair loses color faster than undamaged hair because it is more porous. Anionic and cationic surfactants (in nearly all shampoos and conditioners) actually hasten fading by increasing the “wetting” action of water.

Off-topic but on the bolded - I have low porosity hair and remember when younger, a hairdresser was trying to wet my hair, it would sort of repel the water, so she would put a little shampoo in just to get the water into the hair, so that it would be wet; the next wash was actually to clean the hair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    Hey, great trick. It works for dogs who have thick coats that repel water, I wish I'd remember that when I need to wash my dog.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file