transitioner's intervention

giselle94giselle94 Posts: 7Registered Users
Hello curlies,

Before I say anything else, I'm starting this post not only for my personal benefit, but also for others who are still lost in the transitioning world like I am.

So I've been going natural for about a year and a half now and my hair has grown to about 70% natural and the rest still permed ends. My hair is a 3c (this info will be useful later on).

Up until recently I was a straightening addict, but with the humidity that IS South Florida, there was no way I was winning the frizz fight this summer. I finally just said forget it, and after buying all of the L'Oreal EverSleek products to see if that would help me fight the frizz (which completely failed me) and shelving those products, I decided somethings gotta give. Now, I'm 16 years old, turning 17 in October, with no car and no license. So I nearly begged my dad, whom I was visiting for the summer in Miami, to take me to a beauty supply to get some Mixed Chicks, and he did. I used it that same night and loved the results. BUT, as I got to my 4th or 5th use and went back to my mom in Georgia, I found out that 1. it was weighing my curls down, making me think I was losing them (talk about FREAK OUT moment), and 2. the shampoo had SULFATE ! Not only did it have sulfate, but that was the first ingredient listed, which meant there was lots of it ! I said "Ohhh noo, oh no, no, no" and abandoned that product for good. That made me realize that I was definitely still a rookie in this transitioning game, So I washed it all out with the L'Oreal EverSleek poo and co since that was at least sulfate and cone-free, let my hair air dry, and got to researching products. But I slowly felt myself starting to go crazy because I had no way to get to all of these products. I could hear my hair crying out for mercy and moisture. I ran to my boyfriend (via text, cause he's in FL), who is very supportive of my hair addiction, and told him I'm having a hair crisis and he told me to do my hair the way I did it before, meaning to use mixed chicks...but there was no way I was doing that. Finally I resorted to raiding my mom's bathroom cabinets because she owns millions of hair products, hoping for something to keep me sane while I figure something out, even though her hair is relaxed. I WAS DESPERATE, ok? I did find some Cantu Shea Butter leave-in co (which I never liked when I was younger because it made my hair look dandruff-y, but was willing to try. It did nothing to my hair this time, not even moisturize), some Creme of Nature Lemongrass & Rosemary leave-in creme (which I ended up not using because of many horrible reviews) and some Nexxus Dualiste leave-in conditioning spray (the intense hydration one, which I'm really beginning to like).

*deep breath* To summarize, I tried to use those products and did some flat twists and bantu knots (which didn't come out too well, thanks to cantu), but stayed only with the Nexxus spray...so, I'm back to square one. I'm so mentally exhausted with curly hair research that I decided to just cry out for help on naturallycurly.com CurlTalk. So pleaseeee...someone out there who has a handle on their hair, transitioner or not, please tell me some products I can use. I need everything, shampoo and conditioner, deep conditioner, leave-in, styling, definition, whatever else you can think of.

Oh and I tried asking one of my friends who is also transitioning, but she was in worse condition because she didnt even KNOW about naturallycurly.com until I told her about it...yea, I have no idea how her hair survived all this time, she didn't even know what hair type she was either, but now she knows she's a 3c like me.

Also, I'm gonna post pics of my hair just so that it may be a bit of help to my advice-givers (bless their souls). And if anyone thinks I have a different hair type than 3c, please tell me cause I get kind of confused sometimes.

Thanks to everyone in advance !!! :toothy8:
NO LYE since 2/25/10, fully natural since 12/29/11

Poo: undecided
Co: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or Wild Berry Blossom Co
DC/DT: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Leave-in: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

freedomcurl.blogspot.com (blogsite for Curly Teens!)

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." - Romans 12:2 KJV

Comments

• AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    All I can say is wow! Well I've been transitioning 4 21 mnths and my hair is 95% natural; that being said the best way to transition is to find products that works for your hair jus bc somebody says don't put sulfates or cones in your hair doesn't mean that your hair doesn't like it. Also I've been using all natural products and some not so natural ones. My hair loves both...so I will continue to use these products on my hair! Just find what works for you

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • YansaYansa Posts: 60Registered Users
    I agree. Unless your hair is actually objecting, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out whole categories of hair products. I can't use most sulfate free shampoos. They dry my hair out completely and cause my scalp to itch, flake, and weep, even, if I refuse to listen to the beginning signs of protest. My hair adores cones - I lose significantly less hair WITH them, and that's the name of the game in my book. Plus they add that blingy shine I like. I can also find a lot of what I use in Target, which is ideal for my lifestyle. That said theres plenty of cone and fate free products my hair does enjoy, and I use those too.
  • giselle94giselle94 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Yansa wrote: »
    I agree. Unless your hair is actually objecting, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out whole categories of hair products. I can't use most sulfate free shampoos. They dry my hair out completely and cause my scalp to itch, flake, and weep, even, if I refuse to listen to the beginning signs of protest. My hair adores cones - I lose significantly less hair WITH them, and that's the name of the game in my book. Plus they add that blingy shine I like. I can also find a lot of what I use in Target, which is ideal for my lifestyle. That said theres plenty of cone and fate free products my hair does enjoy, and I use those too.

Sulfate does seem to dry out my hair and make it feel like straw though, because with the products without that ingredient, my hair comes out much softer and feels more moisturized. Cones I really don't mind. I've been trying to find mainly moisturizing products because my hair still really needs it. So far I've bought the Hair Therapy Wrap for deep co, some CURLS Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Deep Conditioner and some dr. miracle's deep treatment, but I haven't gotten the wrap from UPS yet, hopefully when I do it will go well. But I'll look at Target, thanks. And i'm giving Mixed Chicks leave-in another try, just not the shampoo and co. :happy7:
    NO LYE since 2/25/10, fully natural since 12/29/11

Poo: undecided
    Co: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or Wild Berry Blossom Co
    DC/DT: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Leave-in: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

freedomcurl.blogspot.com (blogsite for Curly Teens!)

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." - Romans 12:2 KJV
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users

How do you remove the cones if you don't use a sulfate shampoo?
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • YansaYansa Posts: 60Registered Users
    I do use sulfate shampoos.

I use my sulfate shampoos with my cone conditioners, and my sulfate free shampoos (only two work for me currently) with cone free conditioners.
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    I do use sulfate shampoos.

I use my sulfate shampoos with my cone conditioners, and my sulfate free shampoos (only two work for me currently) with cone free conditioners.

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying :-)
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file