What's your decorating style? Why do you like it?

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
Mine is mostly French Country, a touch of neoclassical here and there. Airy, light colors, soft, powdery aqua, greyed greens, creamy yellow, white and splashes of vivid rose.

I like it because it is bright, cheery and fresh looking and feminine.

I like other styles also and wish I could decorate a house with 100 rooms.

Tell us about your style!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think of my style as Hemingway/Stickly. I like natural leather, lots of wood, earthy tones, smoking room chic, but kept airy with light breazy window treatments. Rather like this:

stickleylr1a.gif
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I like that! I have a Stickley bench in the entry way. Their wood is beautiful.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    As far as art work, I love Gustav Klimt and have his prints all over my house. I just found out recently that he did a self-portrait of himself in "The Kiss", which is his most popular art work. Not my fav, but I do have it. I use the color in his artwork for accent colors. I keep my furniture very neutral with the dark wood on my wooden furniture. I like neutral colors on the floors and walls. (not whites) but love a splash of color in all my accents such as flowers and throw pillows, etc. I also like ethnic accessories. I have a large Egyptian wine bottle on my desk in my office that is draped in a pearl overlay. I also have a green India type Elephant in my living room and a Tiffany lamp in my bedroom. Don't laugh, but I have a martini bar in my office. Also a wine colored leather chair and ottoman and a floor lamp next to it. I also have some copper that looks antique. When I owned a home I had a pot rack that was filled with copper. This is stored in a closet in my apt now. The best of all is 2 watercolor pics in my office that my oldest granddaughter painted for me. They hang over my desk. She was 3 when she painted them for me.

I would love to own another home and have an Italian kitchen with the brick bbq. Something really cozy and family orientated. This would be my focal point in my house. I'm always trying to grow herbs and vegs on my patio. My patio is very Mexican. I have the lizards, frogs, a parrot, etc.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Forgot the second part of your question...

I like it because it's not fussy, wears well, doesn't go out of style, casual feeling, yet can accomodate formality also. I just never get tired of it.

(Unlike my former "modern" furniture style, which turned out just to be "80's Creepy" after a while.)
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I forgot to answer the 2nd question, as well. It feels homey to me and I love to be surrounded by beauty in my home, no matter where I'm at.

I once went to a physic's fair and had a man tell me that no matter what I went thru in life I would be surrounded by beauty. I always surround myself with beauty and wonderful aromas. Vanilla is my fav at the moment.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I guess our style would be sort of practical, plain.

We have a dark red sectional in our living room with some amber colored retro-looking lamps, black end tables, black book shelves and a black desk. Our curtains came from Pier 1 and are tan covered with small circles (the circles are all different shades of red, purple and tan). We have 2 area rugs that are blocks of red (from Target). We like red. LOL The long wall is dark blue and the others are this almond-y color.

In our kitchen our table is black except the top is dark wood. The table has a black bench on one side for the kids and then the other side has 2 black chairs for us. Our breakfast bar chairs are black. The rugs we have are blocks of earth colors (green, tan, red, browns). The walls in the kitchen and dining area are green. I'm not sure how to describe the shade though. It's not quite avocado green or baby food pea green, not quite that dark or heavy. It's not really a sage green either.

The colors on the walls came with the place. We liked them enough to keep them. The wall color in our bedroom was like an ice blue, which we changed to "Prince" by Ralph Lauren. Our bed frame is dark colored, but we haven't really decorated in there yet. Haven't found a bedding set that I like enough yet so we're using blankets.

Our boys have a really cool bedroom. They have bunkbeds that are really durable and sturdy. They also have some Super Mario wall decals that we had a lot of fun putting up, deciding the layout. They have 2 black pleather bean bags, toy bins, a desk, a tv with their video game consoles. We also let them pick some posters (Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Bros, and the like) that we had dry mounted and put up with the Command 3M strips.
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I like it because I'm not a very ornate person. Our first condo was decorated with more ornate stuff, but we didn't have kids then. Our off white couch was basically toast when B came along. He's got a very sensitive gag reflex and probably had reflux too, so he was throwing up all the time. We had a nice Drexel chair whose nice wooden arms took quite a beating when they'd clamor around the house with their toys. Glass table top? Scratched up.

So for now we're doing function over fashion as far as our style is concerned. LOL Dark cushions hide stains. Their bunkbed is rock solid so they can monkey around on it and it won't break or wiggle or anything. As for the dining room stuff, it's cheap so we don't really care if there are dents on the table top. We'll buy nicer stuff when our family is ready for it. Our rugs are from Target (and they're dark colored), so we don't fret if something spills.

I'm sure it's possible to have nice things and have children, but whatever. I'm waiting. LOL
  • SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    I like fresh, bright colors, white furniture, and fun prints. I don't know what my style would be called, exactly... But, I like it because it makes me happy! Perhaps my style would be called "Pottery Barn Teen"... :lol:

The walls in my bedroom, for example, are painted a bright aqua blue. The accent color in my study room is chartreuse. One of my favorite artists to imitate is Peter Max (and actually, I have a painting that I did in his style hanging up in my room)... So that should give you an idea of what I think of color!

I once convinced my mom that it was absolutely necessary to paint our kitchen a bright yellow-orange-pumpkiny color. She still hasn't forgiven me. :laughing8:

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    I have a lot of antiques in my house and surround myself w/ pics. This is what makes me happy!

Many items are heirloomed from my grandmother [mom's mom], like the knitted table cloth in my dining room. I have an antique dining room table in my breakfast area, as well as dining room. Most pieces I have are early 1900s.

Like lotsa, I have a pretty cool patio decorated w/ gekkos, butterflies, mexican brick, kokopellis, etc...I have lotsa plants!

Love diff kinds of art work from Nagels [yeah, I know! lol] to Rafuse, to some friends have done.

I love the openness of my house. I have lotsa windows and love accent walls. I have cranberry in my 2 story entry way and a deep blue in my dining room. I love/have valences that are light, sort of lacy type in my housel, as well...
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    colourful!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Sixties/Seventies. Comfortable, nostalgic, and lots of green.

Kitchen is French Country. Lots of red. Reminds me of family (in a good way).
    It's fun to read these. I think our style often reflects who we are as much or more than what we wear which might be dictated by work. For example, I have a lot of suits because I needed them for when I worked in an office, but I'm not really a suit person.

Ninja - what is in that avatar? A BUG??? Where are the doggies? There are a lot of bugphobes on this board. Consider yourself warned.... :angry5:
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    I like modern, clean lines and strong colors. But still with comfort (not the cold and hard version of "modern"). I'm a little eclectic in terms of decorations, as well, in that I think a random or bright pattern or object can really set off a space with furniture of basic lines, and contrasting colors. I like a fairly masculine look, nothing too frilly or dainty.

I shared a website on here a little while back: Houzz- Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design, that has awesome pictures of interior decorating.

Oh, and why I like it? I hate clutter but I love things that are visually interesting. I want my home to be beautiful and artistic, but still warm and engaging.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
    I love the website! I hate clutter also - prefer open, airy spaces. Modern but warm is a secondary favorite of mine.

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. I enjoy reading about people's dec. styles. :blob8:
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    My house is very primitive country. It's slowly making more of a change over to full on primitive but not sure I will ever totally be there. Basically open any Country Sampler magazine and that's the style of my house. Love antiques and anything in the primitive era. The more worn and used it looks, the more I like it. I hate the refurbishing that some people love to do to antiques. Just leave it as it is.

I love it because it feels comfortable and every piece has a story.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Registered Users Posts: 2,544
    I love Mission style furniture, but am not yet fortunate to own anything that is truly Mission. My dad is building us a dining room table that is inspired by it though, which I'm psyched about. I like clean lines, browns over blacks, and pops of strong, but still soothing colors. In general, I would say my style is eclectic, airing on the side of practicality. I like it because it's easy to maintain and feels comfortable.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I collect art from places that I travel, and lately, from local artists. There is a woman who paints a few towns over from me and I absolutely LOVE her work. I have purchased an oil painting and a pastel from her in the last couple of years. They are both small, but I hope to be able to get a larger piece of hers in the next year or so. I also have several oil paintings and watercolors from artists local to my hometown. I don't buy prints, unless they are antique, hand-colored prints. I like to have the real feeling of the artist's hand that only an original can provide. I can only afford small pieces right now, but I've told my husband that I'd rather have art than jewelry for big presents, so he is happy to oblige. :)
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    I don't think I'm sure how to describe my decorating style.... I like neutral colors and dark wood in my furniture, but lots of different colors in my accents. Lots of shades of reds and greens...Although I do have a large red leather chair in my living room. I think I'm a little eclectic in my accents...If I like it, I buy it....it doesn't have to fit into a genre for me....I have some antique stuff, lots of black and white photos in black frames of family and friends, and tons of large art works...but they are mostly all done by my bf and my son....a little (okay, a lot) narcissitic but I love them, and it makes things more personal...plus, we have so many of them that I can switch them out and never tire of any of them... somehow we've ended up with a buddah statue in two rooms...I have a big old coffin piano in my living room that I think adds a lot of character too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • guinnessguinness Registered Users Posts: 351
    Definitely cottagey, beach bungalow-ish, without a lot of clutter. I like mostly white wood mixed in with a few heavier pieces of mission oak. Most of my walls are white or pale blue so I can change colorful accessories on a whim.

Last year I switched to all white bed linens year round. I thought it might be too cold feeling, but the layers of white are heavenly.

I'm fanatical about lighting, too. Hate overhead lights anywhere but the kitchen. I use lamps, sconces, dimmers, etc to add coziness.

My laundry / workout room is all white with a mango colored painted floor. I never get tired of it!

I like this because it's soothing to me, yet very personal and homey feeling. Also the pieces I've collected over time are all keepers. If I don't love it, I don't buy it.
    The Ethan Allen website has a fun style quiz. I mean, it's not very comprehensive and it's just the one company's take on 5 different styles, but it's still kinda fun (and only takes a minute)!

ethanallen.com - Ethan Allen | furniture | interior design | what's your signature?

I'm Modern.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    hmmm....interesting

The results are in – your Signature Lifestyle is Romance. Inspired by distinguished European furniture designs, Romance delivers bespoke charm minus the fuss. It’s a fresh take on pretty that harmoniously blends carved woods and handcrafted finishing details with dressmaker fabrics. Layers of rich texture, curvaceous silhouettes, and antiques-inspired accessories complete this enchanting look.
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    Survey says:

The results are in – your Signature Lifestyle is Explorer. Explorer channels a sense of adventure through furnishings and accessories that conjure images of world travel. The feeling is relaxed eclecticism. It comes to life through textural variations, intricately detailed woods, global-inspired fabrics, and natural fibers. Whether in rural or urban settings, the spirit of this lifestyle fits right in
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    Our house was built in '59, which is one of the reasons I fell in love with it. It is very much an Atomic Ranch - low slung, long, neutral brick, etc. with a few architectural "mid-century modern" touches.

My decorating style tends to be complementary to that style of home. I like clean lines, no clutter, lots of empty (or close to it) surfaces, neutral furniture and walls with pops of color. I decorate A LOT with mirrors, both singly and in groups.

I also am a little whimsical. For instance, our kitchen is just completely neutral - shades of brown. So our utensils and pots and pans, etc. are all different bright and pastel colors. I also have a set of fat little mariachi figurines on the counter, just for fun. :lol:

In the front room, I've also matted and framed my Fiesta posters which add a lot of color and that touch of whimsy that I love.

I also hate carpet. Hate. So we have miles of 1959 hardwood on the floors. It's so beautiful and so easy to keep clean. (I don't even like area rugs - give me shiny hardwood any day!)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I like Mission, Craftsman, Prairie, mid-century modern, with the occasional Asian or odd antique thrown in.

Why? I don't like things that are fussy or froufrou. I like my spaces warm, simple and inviting. I do tend to have a bit of clutter around the house and I don't mind but I don't like clutter in my decor if that makes sense.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    geeky wrote: »
    I like Mission, Craftsman, Prairie, mid-century modern, with the occasional Asian or odd antique thrown in.

Why? I don't like things that are fussy or froufrou. I like my spaces warm, simple and inviting. I do tend to have a bit of clutter around the house and I don't mind but I don't like clutter in my decor if that makes sense.

I also like the Asian style, and have some vaguely Asian artwork and fabrics (in throw pillows). And like you, I don't like fussy or frou frou. When I think of our home, I think cool, calm, and inviting.

The less tchotchkes I have, the less dusting there is to do with is a total thumbs up for me. :home:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Hodgepodge? LOL I don't really have a particular style. I tend not to like really old-fashioned style stuff (like Victorian or Versailles style stuff) because it's too fussy. I like dark wood and brushed nickel or black metals over light wood and gold/brass. I don't like heavy or fussy fabrics for my furniture or linen. I love decorating with candles and glass and crystal.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    colourful!

:D

Same! One of my spare rooms is silky greens and cream with pine furniture...very soft and spa-ish. The other has black furniture and red, black and white bedding and accents ...kinda of contemporary.

The master bedroom is very rich colours.....warm and romantic.

My main floor is very eclectic.

The basement looks like a teen hangout.....its lime green, white and black :lol:

ETA ~

The results are in – your Signature Lifestyle is Vintage. Vintage is a visually engaging mix of color and texture. A masterful display of the art of juxtaposition. Its thoughtful, collected vibe springs from a peaceful coexistence of seemingly unrelated elements. An eye-catching interplay of sunwashed fabrics, distressed finishes, and bold and graphic patterns add an element of surprise to any room.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    I would say I'm a cross between traditional and vintage.

I like earthy, darker colors. I like my furniture to be comfortable, and plain, not fancy. I like curvaceous patterns as opposed to straight lines, or geometrics. I like wood or ceramic, not sleek, glass, or metal.

I like things that look organic. Dried flower arrangements in large floor vases, reed, rattan, toile, copper pots, thick panel curtains, wrought iron, and vintage wall hangings.

Most of the colors in my house go together. Browns, greens, beige, rust, some black. The only color accent in my house is an occasional brick red. Except for the kids room.

Using my iphone. Expect typos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I must be schizo. Every time I take that Ethan Allen test I come out different. Romantic, explorer, vintage....I love them all!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I took the quiz and it said elegance, but I don't like any of the rooms they show as examples--too frou frou!

So I looked at Romance, that's more my style.
    Like this: ethanallen.com - Ethan Allen | furniture | interior design | lifestyles | romance | bedroom

-- I like the pics with the darker woods and no frilly stuff. OK, some scrollwork like the pics below.

I have this coffee table and more pieces from this set:

T499-0_KO.gif

And this curio and a matching sideboard:
    fl.jpg

Maybe a touch of Explorer too, because I love old maps, globes, wooden boxes, things like that.

I would call my style Old World, European, Tuscan. Probably influenced by living and traveling many years in Europe. :)

Our kitchen, dining area and living room are now that style.

But our bedroom and bathrooms are more beachy. :) Light whitewashed oak (pink tones), peach, blues, sea greens, etc.

I like both styles really. The Old World touches something in my Mediterranean roots and reminds me of Europe, and I love Hawaii and tropical places too. :D

Our style when we got married 20 yrs ago was modern/asian: black wood, sleek lines, modern-ish and graphic art. I sold my dining set (beautiful black wood!) because it no longer went with our new kitchen and home, but still have the black Euro wall units (schranks) downstairs where it's more rustic.

Maybe we're just eclectic! :p

SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Hmmm, I really like this one from the "Modern" Ethan Allen rooms. A little funky, clean lines, a little masculine, a bit of bright color.

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifMET_POP_LR_181_v1?layer=comp&op_sharpen=1&&rect=0,0,590,396&scl=1.5&id=onHzg0

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file