We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Aussie Gels

plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
I see that a lot of people here like the Instant Freeze gel. Has anyone tried the Aussome Volume one at all? I'm on the hunt for gel, and was thinking of trying the Aussie in place of the HEBE that I have been using, but I'm not sure whether I should try the Instant Freeze or the Aussome Volume one. Since my hair is fine, and I can always use more volume, I'm leaning toward the volume one. Has anyone had trouble SOTC with the Instant Freeze gel?

Aussiecanada.ca: Aussome Volume Texturizing Gel, Long-lasting Lift and Hold

Aussiecanada.ca: Instant Freeze Sculpting Gel, Sculpt Your Hair

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Comments

• Wavy BrunetteWavy Brunette Posts: 111Registered Users
    I use the instant freeze some days and like it. Haven't had a problem sotc-ing it either. It is easier to scrunch out for me than BRHG plus I like how it smells :) I haven't used the Aussome Volume one though.
    2b , waves and some spirals
    Med/Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Low Elasticity

Sulfate/Silicone Free Since Jan 2011 :)

Low Poo- CJ Curl Assurance, SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    RO - Y2C, CJ Beauticurls, GVPCB, SM Restorative Conditioner,
    Stylers- Homemade FSG, KCC, BRHG
    HG Techniques- Spritz and Condish, Icequeen method, plopping
  • .AmyP..AmyP. Posts: 66Registered Users
    I have been using the aussome volume gel for about a week and I love it. I get great hold and it helps keep the clumps intact. It smells great too!

ETA: My hair does get quite crunchy but it still looks great before and after i SOTC
    *Amy

Mod CG since 06/02/2011
    Hair type: 2b/2c, medium texture, low porosity
    LowPoo: Esencia by Samy Volumizing Shampoo
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals
    RO: GFTN
    Aussie Aussome Volume Gel, LOOB
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom (thick, med/coarse, non porous) uses the awesome volume. Works great for her. I think (as stated above) it does help with her clumps.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    Plunkybug, I am also a Vancouver Island curly. I've been looking for the Aussie Instant Freeze gel for months and haven't been able to find it. Have you found it in Victoria? I've looked in Pharmasave, shoppers, London Drugs, grocery stores.
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Ok, this Aussie Instant Freeze is pretty intriguing to me!! Anyone have a comparison of it to La Bella Sports Gel...does one have a stronger hold than the other? And is the Aussie alcohol-free? :toothy8:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbalancedbeauty.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Never mind....just looked up the ingredients and there doesn't seem to be any alcohol.

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    I think wavynwild has used both Aussie and La Bella but I could be wrong.

I'm slowly coming around to liking the Aussie Instant Freeze. It's been my favorite protein free gel thus far and others I've tried are HESMU, HETT and Got2B Spiked Up. It doesn't have any magical clumping abilities or anything but does a decent job as a medium-firm hold gel.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    nandiknits wrote: »
    Plunkybug, I am also a Vancouver Island curly. I've been looking for the Aussie Instant Freeze gel for months and haven't been able to find it. Have you found it in Victoria? I've looked in Pharmasave, shoppers, London Drugs, grocery stores.

OMG...another Vancouver Island curly?! I think my head may just have exploded! Heh heh. :P The last time I saw them was at Shoppers on Douglas downtown I think. I can't remember if the Pharmasave near me has it or not either. London Drugs might have. The new Rexall didn't have it, I'm sure of that one. I'm going downtown tomorrow, so I hope to pick some up. I'll let you know if I find it. Are you in Victoria too?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

I think wavynwild has used both Aussie and La Bella but I could be wrong.

I'm slowly coming around to liking the Aussie Instant Freeze. It's been my favorite protein free gel thus far and others I've tried are HESMU, HETT and Got2B Spiked Up. It doesn't have any magical clumping abilities or anything but does a decent job as a medium-firm hold gel.

Good to know!!!:glasses2:

Stylers-

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    SO, I must be the only one who hates Instant Freeze? It seemed ok at first, I mean got good crunch. It breaks up my clumps, but when I SOTC'd it didn't look too bad. Then an hour later it was just limp and most of the wave was gone on the ends. I have tried three times, and each time it is just..blah. I have the same issue HESMU, too. I think it's the texture my hair doesn't like. That liquidy texture of those gels just doesn't do well in my hair. I do like to use them for smasters method, though, because of the liquid texture they work great for that.
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    plunkybug wrote: »

OMG...another Vancouver Island curly?! I think my head may just have exploded! Heh heh. :P The last time I saw them was at Shoppers on Douglas downtown I think. I can't remember if the Pharmasave near me has it or not either. London Drugs might have. The new Rexall didn't have it, I'm sure of that one. I'm going downtown tomorrow, so I hope to pick some up. I'll let you know if I find it. Are you in Victoria too?

No, not Victoria. A couple hours north in Qualicum Beach. Have checked all of the big drug stores in Nanaimo, but still haven't found it. I guess I'll just have to keep looking....
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • islandwavesislandwaves Posts: 13Registered Users
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    SO, I must be the only one who hates Instant Freeze? It seemed ok at first, I mean got good crunch. It breaks up my clumps, but when I SOTC'd it didn't look too bad. Then an hour later it was just limp and most of the wave was gone on the ends. I have tried three times, and each time it is just..blah.

I'm not the biggest fan of the instant freeze either. I tried it a couple of times and it was okay. I should probably experiment with it some more but I've been getting great results with ecostyler recently so it's not very tempting to pull out a gel that just gave me blah results.
    Mod CG June 2011
    2b/2c
    Fine to Medium Texture, High Density, Normal Porosity and Elasticity

Low Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    Co Wash: Tresemme Naturals
    RO/LI: YTCarrots, GVPCB
    Stylers: LOOB, HESMU, BRHG, Ecostyler Kyrstal
    PT: Sally's K Pak
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    SO, I must be the only one who hates Instant Freeze? It seemed ok at first, I mean got good crunch. It breaks up my clumps, but when I SOTC'd it didn't look too bad. Then an hour later it was just limp and most of the wave was gone on the ends. I have tried three times, and each time it is just..blah.

I'm not the biggest fan of the instant freeze either. I tried it a couple of times and it was okay. I should probably experiment with it some more but I've been getting great results with ecostyler recently so it's not very tempting to pull out a gel that just gave me blah results.
    I like ecostyler too. It is the only gel that when I scrunch it in, it really stays put, no matter how much water is left on my hair.
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Aussie Instant Freeze was a bust for me this summer when I applied it to wet hair. But, as a dry refresher, I love it. Better than the 37 other things I've tried. I pet my mussed hair with gel-moistened hands and it instantly tames flyaways and adds shine. And I've used it as an after-the-fact gel on dry unstyled hair (aka naked hair) with good, or at least good-enough success; used the smoothing each section like a mini pony tail method.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Hippiechic -- I use/used both La Bella and Aussie gels, like Asianrunner said. (She knows me all too well! :D) I have never used the La Bella Sport, but I have used the Super Spikes (I think it's super similar to the Sport, but it doesn't have protein) and Lots of Curls. Aussie gels DEFINITELY have better hold -- no doubt about it! It is definitely a hard hold gel! To me, the La Bella gels don't have a lot of hold at all. So, that's a plus for the Aussie. But I think my hair clumps better with La Bella. The Aussie isn't as good at drawing my hair into nice big clumps. I think the main difference for you would be that the Aussie is protein-free. Oh, and for those of you who do not like strong scents -- Aussie definitely wouldn't be for you! ;) It has a very strong, flowery smell. I had to stop using it due to my fragrance sensitivities.

ETA: Oh, and Plunky -- when I use too much Aussie gel, it is definitely hard to SOTC. In general, it is a little difficult, but it IS a nice hard hold gel! It is my absolute favorite gel, even though I can't use it anymore. ;)

HTH someone! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    I have to say, I bought the Instant Freeze Gel after I seen this thread and I love it!!! It holds my hair really well and gives me waves all day long. Even my motorcycle helmet doesn't take the wave out! And if it looks like it's going flat, I just spritz it with water, scrunch and its all back. And I love the smell! Awesome stuff!
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
  • jvdbjvdb Posts: 27Registered Users
    I have been using Aussome volume for the past two days and am quite happy with it. I was looking for the "freeze" one but they were out so I settled for this instead.

Im newly cg and never used gels before so I don't have anything to compare to, however it DOES hold waves in place (otherwise they go super limp) and I was able to scrunch out the little amount of crunch I did have. Will definitely continue to use.
    2a. Medium texture. Medium/high porosity (I think!)
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    plunkybug wrote: »

No, not Victoria. A couple hours north in Qualicum Beach. Have checked all of the big drug stores in Nanaimo, but still haven't found it. I guess I'll just have to keep looking....

If you make it down here, or I head up there, we should try to meet up for coffee/tea or something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file