Overwhelmed and lost

LuvinCurls80LuvinCurls80 Posts: 28Registered Users
So, I'm here, trying to fall in love with my curls again :)

It's always been a love/hate relationship. I am loving my length, color and strength of my hair. However, I am not fond of the curl pattern, texture (seems to be extremely course in the crown area) and drier than ever before. For the record, I have thick, course, and porous hair, I deep condition once a week as I wash and diffuse my hair every morning (I work in the banking industry and going in with my hair wet or even damp is not an option for me right now).

Now, I don't know what curl type I am since the site is pretty new to me and somewhat confusing with it comes to curl types. However, I have attached a picture to see if any ladies can assist in relating it to theirs and maybe give me some insight as to what works for them.

Right now, I use L'Oreal sulfate free products to wash and condition. I use macadamia oil leave-in conditioner. For styling items, I use TIGI Curls Rock with a mix of Fredrick Fekkai Luscious Curls or I will use Suave Captivating Curls.

As of now, the combo of TIGI and FF have been my best bets, but even then I don't feel that they give my curls a fighting chance to be the beautiful luscious bouncy curls that I know I could have :)

Any help from you lovely ladies would be greatly appreciated :)

265105_2136428807114_1137922116_2677071_2784645_n-1.jpg

Mari and Alex-2.jpg

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The "curl type" is overwhelming, but you've nailed the really important stuff - that your hair seems porous and dry.
    Here is a link to learn more about your hair's needs: Live Curly Live Free - Home
    Curl type is good to know, but in order to get your curls or waves or what have you in into their best condition, you need to really understand your hair's properties and learn how it responds to various things you do to it.

You definitely have some close-together waves. "wavy" hair can be fairly curly, the difference is that wavy hair tends to be flat on top.

Look here too, to learn techniques that might help you: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think your hair is just beautiful. I'm not familiar with any of your products, so I don't have any input on that front. Coarse and porous hair is one of the more difficult hair types to deal with. Coarse hair usually hates protein, porous hair needs protein. It can be a hard needle to thread. Here is how some others cope with coarse, porous hair.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/high-porosity/121165-porous-coarse-share-your-hair-biography.html

In the techniques sticky IAgirl posted be sure to check out the spritz and condish method (good for moisturizing hair) and the super soaker method (good for thick hair). Also plopping and the pixie curl method.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • LuvinCurls80LuvinCurls80 Posts: 28Registered Users
    Thank you ladies, looks like I have a lot of experimenting to do :)

I'm really trying to be thrifty on what I use as I notice I go through a lot of product. :(
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Your hair is lovely! And don't worry about being thrifty....95% (maybe more) of us get our products at Target, Sally's, Walmart, etc. Plenty of curlies and wavies make their own products too so check out some of those recipes too!! Good luck!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • LuvinCurls80LuvinCurls80 Posts: 28Registered Users
    Thank you so much! It's just trial and error now, finding products and understanding all the acronyms has been somewhat a challenge but so worth it :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file