Hugo Naturals-Hair and Body Care Reviews. Consider me a FAN!

justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
Hair and Body Products Reviews!

I got their body lotion first. Sweet Orange and Vanilla. YUM! I noticed that it said "All Over Lotion" and since I have ridiculously sensitive skin and mild rosaea, I was skeptical. I tried a bit on my face and my skin was soft, moisturized and not at all irritated. Perfect amount of moisture to use on my body as well. They also offer this in Unscented.

So, I went back to Whole Foods and I got Shower Gel in Shea Butter and Oatmeal. Delicious natural almond scent. Cleansing but not striping.

I also bought travel bottles of both the Shampoo and Conditioner in the same scent. They were labeled Volumizing.

Used them on my hair and I had the shiniest hair that was very voluminous and I even got GREAT wurly ringlets! This pic was several hours into my granddaughter's first birthday party which was outside, in 100 degree super high humidity weather. My hair normally does not get better in humidity since it is wavy versus curly.
hair211a-2.jpg

I went back and bought fullsized bottles of the poo and condish.
I noticed that they had a Color shampoo and Condish in Geranium scent. I did not get because we were flying back and the ingredient deck was different. I will be buying and trying it.

I have a horrible time finding shampoo and condish that gets my hair really clean and does not leave it heavy or greasy.
So, if you are a wavy or swavy like me and you want a cleansing lowpoo and a light condish, give this a try.
I paid $8.99 each for 12 ounce bottles.

I also happened to see that they had a hair gel. 4 ounces for $5-ish. Says medium hold. I just scrunched a bit into dry hair. Seems really good as well.

I am apparently an unaware Hugo Naturals FAN! I now use their shower gel, All Over lotion for body and face, shampoo and condish and perhaps hair gel!

Here are ingredient decks (you know that you would have asked!):
Shower Gel
Aqua/Water, Lauryl Glucoside, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoabutteramphoacetate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Tocopherol, Allantoin, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Lippia Citriodora Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Equisetum Arvense Leaf Extract, ***us Slyvatica Bug Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Myroxylon Pereirae (Balsam Peru) Oil, Butter Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extracts, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Amara (Bitter Almond) Kernel Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Citric Acid, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benxoate, Potassium sorbate

All Over Lotion
Aqua/Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Emulfisying Wax, Cetearyl Glucoside, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Tocopherol, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Symphytum Officinale Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark extract, Althaea Orricinalis Root Extract, Equisetum Arvense Leaf Extract, Alchemilla Vulgaris Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Amara (Bitter Almond) Kernel Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Xanthan Gum, Gluconolactone, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate

Volumizing Shampoo
Aqua/Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Lauryl Glucoside, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Althaea Officinalis Leaf/Root Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Butter Extract, Myroxylon Pereirae (Balsam Peru) Oil, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate
Never any parabens, phenoxyethanol, SLS, PEGs, propylene glycol, petroleum products, artificial colors or synthetic fragrances. Gluten and soy free. Vegan. No animal testing.

Volumizing Conditioner
Aqua/Water, Brassicyl Isoleucinate Esylate, Brassica Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Coco-Caprylate, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Arginine, Althaea Officinalis Leaf/Root Extract, Panthenol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Butter Extract, Myroxylon Pereirae (Balsam Peru) Oil, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate

Hair Gel
Water, dehydroxanthan gum, hydrolyzed quinoa protein, hydrolyzed oat protein, kosher vegetable glycerin, panax ginseng root extract, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, arnica montana extract, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract, potassium sorbate, gluconolactone, sodium benzoate, citrus aurantium dulcis (sweet orange) peel oil.

Feel free to post or PM me with specifics. I plan to try other lotions and shower gels (lavender!) as well as the color protection shampoo and conditioner.

I like the ingredients and I really like the results that I have had!!
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    Darn you, you PJ-enabler! I guess a trip to Whole Foods is in order!

Hope you had a great trip!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    haha! We did!
    Check the travel sized bottles. Hugo naturals had travel sizes of many of these that I mention!!

If you just buy and try trial/travel sized bottles that means that you are not an actual full sized PJ!! haha!
    CG since 7/1/2010

haha! We did!
    Check the travel sized bottles. Hugo naturals had travel sizes of many of these that I mention!!

If you just buy and try trial/travel sized bottles that means that you are not an actual full sized PJ!! haha!

Please! You know me better than that, girl!

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)

mod CG since August 2010
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    JAJC...have you tried the gel on wet hair? I see that it has glycerin. I'm guessing that you don't have glycerin issues then?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• BeebopBeebop Registered Users Posts: 457 Curl Novice
    The ingredients look great and your hair looks fabulous!! I've seen some of these at whole foods but not the gel, let me know how the conditioner and gel do after a few uses since too much glycerin in cond. seem to make my curls fall out and go flat ( new nature's gate). I may have to make another trip to whole foods!! Does the conditioner have a lot of slip when you rinse in the shower and good at detangling? ( I comb out in the shower)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Leave In- Conditioner large pea size
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Registered Users Posts: 1,637 Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks great! I'll have to try that brand when I am near a Whole Foods again.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
    Thanks! Since what I really want is to be a 3b and not a 2b (and that is not going to happen), I am happy to do or use to make peace with my hair just as it is!

I have to say that I am growing more content with my hair every day and oddly, my fav products contain glycerin. Something that ruined my hair before.

So, that can only mean one of a million things. Like, my hair likes glycerin in summer, my hair can manage glycerin as long as any number of other ingredients are present in the product, that I am still not getting mssive root lift but its masked by (and it takes pressure off of me) my pulling back my bangs, CHS CK truly covers a multitude of sins-I swear this stuff added to anything else STILL manages to semi-ringlet out my hair! Or...some other thing that I may likely never know or figure out!

Alba gel has glycerin in it also is a consistent winner for me. CHS Gel does, too and I am using it successfully sometimes as well. The Matrix Biolage Gelee does not and I can watch my curls uncurl as I scrunch it in too close to my scalp. On the ends is great!

In this pic, after the Hugo Naturals poo and condish, I used CK, Alba Gel and then I made a little travel bottle with some Biolage Gelee and CHS gel mixed and I scrunched that on the ends only.

So, who knows!

I dread winter hair now, though as I have a feeling that I will have to switch up gels and I have not found one that I love that is without some glycerin.
    CG since 7/1/2010

Oh, missed a question!
    I do not recall lots of slip. If I have lot of slip, I typically lose volume and definition, again because I am a wavy and not a curly. The particular formula I chose was volumizing. It was lighter. They had several other formulas that I bet were richer.

Here is a link to their site:

Shampoos & Conditioners
    CG since 7/1/2010

So of course the P.J. in me had to run right down to WF and find this gel and I did! All I can say is WOW! I left a little of my Sonoma conditioner in and scrunched in about a quarter and a half of the Hugo gel only, plopped about 5 min. then diffused and when I sotc it was a soft crunch and beautiful clumped shiny spirals and curls...very similar to what I get with SS FHG, AOMM and FSG, plus it smells very fresh and citrusy like the Kiss my face gel. Now I'll wait and see how well it holds for the evening and update later, thanks JAJC!:toothy8: My hair also feels thicker and full of body!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
  • RustinaRustina Registered Users Posts: 894 Curl Neophyte
    A) Child, you do not look old enough to have a grandkid!
    B) Your hair is looking amazing! From straight to these beautiful wavy curls in a few years? Wow.

And just so this isn't a complete guano post,

C) My hair does not like protein, but I am on the hunt for a gel I love and will try just about anything! I can use BRHG, which has some protein, so long as it's over a LI and protein free curl enhancer - you think I could maybe use this Hugo gel?

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    JAJC, I am quite intrigued. Especially about the face lotion. I too have extremely sensitive/mild rosacea-type skin, and I don't have many options when it comes to face lotion and even hair and body products.

Oh, and btw, your eyes are very pretty.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    Guess where I just came from! I got the Geranium (color protecting) shampoo and conditioner and the Vanilla and Sweet Orange shower gel. They smell great. Now that our electricity is back on, I need to go take my shower so I can see how they work!

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
    Update-Well my hair grew a little as the evening went on and seemed to loose a little definition and curl with a little frizz/fly aways so I decided to try it this evening with some AOMM and it seems a little better, it's definitely a thicker chunkier feeling to my hair that I'm not use to we'll see, not sure about it. I'm use to a softer natural feel with clumped curls but not as thick feeling. I assume that must be the quinoa protein in it that gives it that feel, something I would have to get use to.
    JAJC- How is it holding for you all day and does your hair feel different?
    My WF doesn't carry the hair gel. I did find the entire line on several websites:

Iherb.com (carries the gel)
    Drugstore.com (carries the gel)
    Vitacost.com

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
    curlyserf wrote: »
    My WF doesn't carry the hair gel. I did find the entire line on several websites:

Iherb.com (carries the gel)
    Drugstore.com (carries the gel)
    Vitacost.com
    Only one of my WF carries it because it's a bigger store, so if you have another one to check you can try that.

The gel seems like more of a curl enhancer/volumizer so maybe it would work even better with just a touch of a stronger holding mousse or gel on top and no AOMM because I use the AOMM as a curl enhancer already. I may try that tomorrow.
  • asugirlasugirl Registered Users Posts: 938 Curl Neophyte
    Hey Beebop - which WF had it? I think I remember that you are East Valley. I go to the one at Tatum/Shea, the Scottsdale/101, and the store off Frank Lloyd Wright. I guess I should call around first, huh!?!

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
    asugirl wrote: »
    Hey Beebop - which WF had it? I think I remember that you are East Valley. I go to the one at Tatum/Shea, the Scottsdale/101, and the store off Frank Lloyd Wright. I guess I should call around first, huh!?!
    Hey asugirl!
    I got it at the Chandler store on Ray & the 101, it's a big store and fancy like an A.J.'s fine foods. My Tempe store is much smaller. The gel has a lot of potential and I may just use it alone all day today and see how well it holds up in this heat and monsoon humidity. Let me know if you use it and how it holds up for you. Yea I would call the "whole body" dept. at both stores to make sure they have it first.
    Thanks Beebop! It's funny, usually the humidity right now feels like humidity, but we just spent a week in Bermuda, now that's humidity! This humidity feels like our usual dry now! I hope I can find the gel, I just ordered the Hugo coconut conditioner from Vitacost but they don't have the gel. I'll let you know! Oh btw, go Devil football, getting excited for the season!

Thanks Beebop! It's funny, usually the humidity right now feels like humidity, but we just spent a week in Bermuda, now that's humidity! This humidity feels like our usual dry now! I hope I can find the gel, I just ordered the Hugo coconut conditioner from Vitacost but they don't have the gel. I'll let you know! Oh btw, go Devil football, getting excited for the season!

Yea! GO DEVILS!!
    Your right, it's not as humid right now as it was on Monday morning and I'm sure Bermuda was very humid, lucky you! We just got back a couple weeks ago from San Diego and it's always very humid there and I test out different products while I'm there, kind of fun! my WF has all the Hugo shampoos and conditioners too, even the one you just ordered, I didn't get any because I like what I use and the scents weren't very strong, the vanilla orange smelled the best and the coconut was really light smelling but pleasant. Let me know how you like the conditioner too.
    San Diego is pretty much my second summer home growing up (also Laguna) having lived here all my life. I used to go crazy as a teen trying to keep my hair straight there on vacation :-?. Sounds totally crazy, but nobody at my high school knew I had curly hair beside my sister and best friend. Anyway, SD is humid but nowhere as humid as Bermuda. Only other place that has felt quite as wet was Jamaica. It's good that I don't try to keep my hair straight any more! I will let you know if I can find the gel and how I like the conditioner. I have the old Hugo vanilla orange shampoo and condish - liked the shampoo, the condish was really light!

San Diego is pretty much my second summer home growing up (also Laguna) having lived here all my life. I used to go crazy as a teen trying to keep my hair straight there on vacation :-?. Sounds totally crazy, but nobody at my high school knew I had curly hair beside my sister and best friend. Anyway, SD is humid but nowhere as humid as Bermuda. Only other place that has felt quite as wet was Jamaica. It's good that I don't try to keep my hair straight any more! I will let you know if I can find the gel and how I like the conditioner. I have the old Hugo vanilla orange shampoo and condish - liked the shampoo, the condish was really light!
    I agree, been to Jamaica and Florida (in June) and we were actually "wet" all the time! What gel worked for you in Bermuda? Not sure if this Hugo gel would work in high humidity but with a stronger gel or mousse on top it would probably act as a curl enhancer/volumizer/moisturizer.
    I brought two gels I've been using lately you might like. One that doesn't seem to be used much by wavies but that I like is Koils by Nature Herbal Gel - kind of expensive but lasts awhile. It doesn't dry out my hair, actually seems like it adds moisture. Also, I started using Queen Helene Hard to Hold gel from Sally - $3.59 for 16 oz. and it works really well. I usually only take small bottles of stuff I really trust when I go away, so I guess these two have earned their way!

You must order the Koils by nature? and I can't seem to find ingredients on the Queen Helen one. I tend to like more natural products to try and stay away from all the chemicals and use it on my daughter as well. Thanks for the info.!
    Here's the Queen Helene ingredients:
    Water Aqua, PVP, Carbomer, Keratin Amino Acids, Triethanolamine, PPG-12 PEG-65 Lanolin Oil, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance Parfum, FD&C Red No. 40 CI No. 16035, D&C Red No. 33 CI No. 17200.

Not natural but works surprisingly well for me.

Yes I do order the Koils by Nature from the website. The owner ships free for orders over $40. I like her leave in and rinse out conditioners too. The ingredients for the gel are:
    Herb infused distilled water infused, aloe vera jucie, Shea oil, grapeseed oil, macadamia nut oil, *Jamaican Black Castor Oil, carbomer,*organic marshmallow root, *organic slippery elm bark, *Jamaican Black Castor Oil, potassium sorbate, willows bark, citric acid.

Definately all natural!

Here's the Queen Helene ingredients:
    Water Aqua, PVP, Carbomer, Keratin Amino Acids, Triethanolamine, PPG-12 PEG-65 Lanolin Oil, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance Parfum, FD&C Red No. 40 CI No. 16035, D&C Red No. 33 CI No. 17200.

Not natural but works surprisingly well for me.

Yes I do order the Koils by Nature from the website. The owner ships free for orders over $40. I like her leave in and rinse out conditioners too. The ingredients for the gel are:
    Herb infused distilled water infused, aloe vera jucie, Shea oil, grapeseed oil, macadamia nut oil, *Jamaican Black Castor Oil, carbomer,*organic marshmallow root, *organic slippery elm bark, *Jamaican Black Castor Oil, potassium sorbate, willows bark, citric acid.

Definately all natural!
    Thanks for the list! Do you have any problem with the lanolin oil inthe queen helen gel?

Just got back from going out to lunch and used the Hugo gel with just my leave in cond. and it's holding up pretty well so far....lost a little bit of clumpy definition but definitely not frizzy! I may try tomorrow with a little mousse.
    Well...I ended up giving up on this gel when I tried to combine it with my two favorite stylers; Condition 3-in-1 mousse & SS FHG. My hair was an absolute frizzy mess with the Hugo gel and my mousse and stringy looking with my SS FHG. Doesn't seem to play well with others. I'll stick to my AOMM as my curl enhancer since it plays well with everything.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file