We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

SOTC question and newish technique...

plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
What do you all do when you can't SOTC? I've tried my SS Emollience and BS COHS pomades/butters, and they help some. But sometimes if I have used too much gel or styling in general, I just can't scrunch it out. This happens mostly with BRHG, even with smaller amounts, but that isn't the only culprit.

Yesterday I was kinda ok with it not being fully scrunched out because I was in windy conditions; it was DH's birthday, so we took advantage of the free birthday fare on the Coho ferry from Victoria, BC to Port Angeles, WA and our friends there met us and took us up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains. :)

When I got home, I finger combed it a little which helped some, but it is feeling dry, and still crunchy in some areas (mostly ends). It's softened a bit today because I was playing with it and putting it up or back since we actually had some warm, summery temps today...it was 29C/84F today (humidex reading...about 26C/79F otherwise). After work, DH picked me up and we went to the beach and had the windows down and it all got tousled. And probably tangled. I'll probably just wash tomorrow.

And for the technique...it is more a modifier to the Super Soaker Method. Something I've been experimenting with lately is adding my stylers and just a little gel before scrunching the water in, but here's what I have been doing new...

Once my hair is soaking again and reclumping some, I take a little more gel in my hands and scrunch that in as I am scrunching some of the water out by hand, before plopping. I have found, initially, that it helps retain the clumps during the plop. I'm having a little trouble deciding whether or not to add more gel post plop, before diffusing, and/or mid-diffuse a la smasters. So, it is still evolving.

One last thing...

IAGirl...with your FSG add and wait 10 minutes and then scrunch method, can you tell me how you add the FSG initially? Smooth? Rake? Initial scrunching in? I haven't made any gel in a while, but might go out and get some seeds soon. I'm interested in trying this again. My initial FSG batch was bleh.

PS

Here's my (2G) iphone shot from Hurricane Ridge...can you see the deer? There were many, and all over the place!

283502_10150242800962374_743022373_7627164_2132971_n.jpg

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Comments

• oethereal1oethereal1 Posts: 327Registered Users
    for whatever reason, SOTC never works for me either. i have very short hair that i'm growing in, so it's not that it's too long to work with, and i sort of remember years ago when i had longer hair and tried CG that part of the reason i gave up was that i couldn't get rid of the crunch.

in the interim i found garnier surf hair, which i used to style my short hair. something in it dissolves the crunch for me, and makes my curls clump together better, and seems to promote curl retention. my suspicion is that it is the beeswax, but there is a whole bunch of other stuff in it (including polyquaternium-37 - i know there is some issue that some have with polyquats, but i don't know what) and i'm not a chemist at all. there are no cones.

i put in my LALSG and either air dry or diffuse till about 80-90% dry, then apply a small amount of the surf hair. i usually let that sit on my head for a little bit, then diffuse and scrunch. my experience is that i freak out because my curls look weird, but then when i check the mirror a little later i look clumpy and curly.

it is pretty producty feeling, and it is supposed to be matte-ifying. you also have to figure out how much is the "just right" amount, but most days i can live with all that in trade for good curls.

btw, i love your deer picture. i live sort of in the boonies - yesterday on the way to church we had deer in the driveway. right now i have hummingbirds rioting at the feeder outside the window. i used to live in the city - i much prefer this :)
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    Ah yes, super mega crunch. If my initial SOTC with EVCO doesn't cut it, I will spritz with water and scrunch in a good thick condish of some kind. SM smoothie usually. The spritzing seems to be key in loosening it up before adding a moisturizing product. It shouldn't be super mega crunchy when it dries again.
    And that's funny about your newish technique, I usually do something like that, also. I scrunch in some LI and some FSG before I super soak then add more FSG while scrunching water out. Depending on my mood I either add my hard hold gel before I plop, or after. If I add it after I usually have to wet my hands and mist my hair again to prevent frizz, though. Adding it before my plop, I get less crunch, but better clumps. Adding after it breaks up the clumps some but get more crunch.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    I think it was Mountaincurl who got mega-crunch with heavily-honeyed FSG and solved it with a good bit of coconut oil for SOTC.
    When I over crunch, I use conditioner, spread in my palms until it feels kind of dry. Then I smooth it over the top and flip over to get all the rest, then scrunch. It seems to work well too. But BHRG is too crunchy for me.

When I apply FSG, I take a big blob in my hands and rub it all around my palms. Then I work on a section (like one side) and squeeze it in (I guess that's "smoothing") with my fingers clasping the hair from roots to tips to make sure it's all over.
    THEN I scrunch until I hear it and feel it all squishy. It gets pretty wet this way. I scrunch a lot - 8-10 times per section, then go back to re-scrunch a little if it seems to need it.

Then when I have time, I leave it for 10-15 minutes. The FSG feels less wet and more "tacky" at this point. Now when you scrunch, the clumps hold their shape and you're actually sculpting your hair. For me, this is an alternative to plopping.

BTW, I am so stinking jealous! Not of the deer, we have too many of them and they drive my dog into a frenzied state. But of the beach and mountains and everything! Being in the middle of a continent is kind of a bummer. I suppose it minimizes distractions. I miss living in Minnesota. A very interesting state. So was North Dakota.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    oethereal...I usually can SOTC, but sometimes not. Usually using a pomade/butter will soften it out. The beach stuff sounds neat...the BS COHS has beeswax in it I think, so I have to go very sparingly on that.

It looks like coconut oil is on my shopping list. :P I actually saw some today at a place called Nezza Naturals. I picked up a travel size bottle of their Coconut shampoo and conditioner to try. They had lots of oils there, including camelia, which I know rymorg liked. I might have to go back and get something. I'm not sure what kind of oil I want though...that's probably another thread. Though actually...I have a hair and body pack oil blend with coconut oil I lent a friend and I don't think she is using it. Hmm...maybe the plain would be best?

When you spritz and use conditioner, how wet is your hair at that point, and how much condish are we talking about? Does it make your hair sticky? Tell me more about the SM Smoothie. I'm hoping to make it to Chicago to see my new niece over Labour Day weekend, and hoping to get my Target and Whole Foods on.

IAGirl...thanks! So you do initially scrunch it in after smoothing it on. And it looks like you do scrunch and pump? Do you scrunch bottom up or from the side? I need to get me some flax seeds or okra. I have a small container that should be perfect for the gel, and some knee high nylons to strain with. I also want to try to get to our Sally here for some stuff, like the protein filler. It's just our Sally isn't too close.

Here is part of a quasi-pano of shots from Willows Beach yesterday...

189354_10150242686447374_743022373_7625588_1592468_n.jpg

Willows Beach is one of the few sandy beaches in town and it faces east, so you can just see in the distance the snowy peak of Mount Baker in Washington. The water is still effing cold, so even on a hot day, all I can manage is about 30 seconds in it before my feet start to tingle from the cold. Still...I do see some people, on occasion, in the water fully. Weirdos. :P

The rest are here:

Willows Beach | Facebook

In the last pic, overlooking the Oak Bay Marina, you'll see a range of snow-capped peaks...that is the Olympic Mountains where Hurricane Ridge (pic with the deer above) is. Port Angeles is about 25 miles away across the strait, and about an hour and a half sailing. Hurricane Ridge is about an hour drive from Port Angeles.

Oh, and I can't resist...

184122_10150315116731072_591291071_9779841_74344_n.jpg

My brother giving my niece her first bottle (though she is breastfeeding also).

284556_10101213724667851_2023919_80419238_5110278_n.jpg

She just turned 1 month last week.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    Pretty beach and 1-month-old looking 1-month old!
    I guess that's "scrunch n pump" but I find that name a bit unpleasant and inaccurate. I scrunch from the bottom after "smoothing in"/squeezing in. Scrunch a few times to make sure it's good and "squishy" (for distribution) then hold all the hair scrunched as close to my scalp as possible and alternately squeeze and partly relax my "fist" about 8-10 times (for clumps).
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    That beach is beautiful! And your niece is adorable!

I have never had a problem with that method making me sticky. I would say my hair is damp to barely damp. It definitely doesn't need to be soaking. Then emulsify the condish between your palms, you shouldn't need a ton of it, just enough to coat your palms. May need to coat the palms twice, once for each side of your head depending on how mega the crunch is.
    I LOVE the SM smoothie. It is one of my staples. It smells great, it's very moisturizing, works fantastic as a LI for wavies because it's grabby. I have heard some people say they find it too heavy, but I haven't had that problem. You don't need to use a ton of it, I use maybe a two finger scoop, and that's more than I need but after I supersoak the excess rinses off.
    I have also used it as a DT, mixed with the SM milk for slip and used it as my RO. Used it to SOTC, on 2nd day hair when I need more moisture.
    It also is great for clumping and supersoaker. Because it's thick and grabby it seems to really pull the clumps together and doesn't rinse too much away when you supersoak. I use just a little more than I think I need before supersoaking and it leaves behind the perfect amount. It is rich, though, so I do need to use more gel with it.
    sweet baby! i miss littlelittle ones and pictures always make me squee, but my boys have at least 10 and 15 years before i better see any babies at my house!

and nice beach pic. are you on the ocean? i miss being reasonably near a genuine, next to the ocean beach :(

why do you have to watch the beeswax? the weigh-down gunky factor, or something else? just curious, wondering if it's something i should watch out for too.
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I saw my name and thought i'd pop in to say hello!

Ahh yes I believe that was me. And I think the SM smoothie has great potential for SOTC. I really really like it as a LI/curl cream. Plus I love it for moisturizing my elbows and feet!

I still need to try the FSG scrunch method when my hair is a little longer.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    oethereal1 wrote: »
    sweet baby! i miss littlelittle ones and pictures always make me squee, but my boys have at least 10 and 15 years before i better see any babies at my house!

and nice beach pic. are you on the ocean? i miss being reasonably near a genuine, next to the ocean beach :(

why do you have to watch the beeswax? the weigh-down gunky factor, or something else? just curious, wondering if it's something i should watch out for too.

I am so excited to go to Chicago to meet her! She smiled for the first time today! :)

I live in Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island, and we have quite a bit of water about!

Here's where I am...

location-of-victoria-map.jpg

Here is our little tip of the island (the Saanich Peninsula)...

Map_Saanich_Peninsula_BC.gif

And closer still to the city and municipalities.

victoria.jpg

The pic was taken at Willows Beach in Oak Bay to the east. I live in James Bay just south of downtown. It's about a 20 minute or so drive over to that beach, though my neighborhood is bordered on 3 sides by water and a public park on the 4th. It's a 15 minute walk to the south to the beaches there, but they're all rocky. Great tidal pools though. It's not quite ocean in either spot...the water by Willows Beach is Oak Bay which is part of the Georgia Strait, and the water to the south is the Juan de Fuca Strait, and all the water in the area combined with Puget Sound is called the Salish Sea. The Canada/US border runs through these waters. It does all lead to the ocean though, and we get many whales during the summer months migrating.

Probably more info than you needed or wanted, but hey, it's my thread, I guess I can guano it, right? Hee hee hee! :P

And to answer the beeswax...yeah, just because too much can be sticky, producty, and/or heavy.

i'm jealous!!!

pretty hair, new baby to squeeze, excellent location!

enjoy all of them :)
    oethereal1 wrote: »
    i'm jealous!!!

pretty hair, new baby to squeeze, excellent location!

enjoy all of them :)

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file