Staying fit helped me get my new job!

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
Walking briskly often (with encouragement from CurlyLaura and this site) helped me stay limber and energetic. My new (part-time) retail sales job is somewhat strenuous because I am on my feet for 8 hours straight with a 20 minute break and sometimes up and down steep stairs.

I'm so glad I kept active so that I can cope with this. I'm 66 and had a lot of serious surgery but I look and feel youthful because I exercise. It's the magic bullet. Congrats to all of us! :lol:
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Registered Users Posts: 2,544
    Great to hear this, CP! When I started my current job, I went from being on my feet and going up/down stairs just about all day to an 8+ hr day at a desk. I really enjoyed being more active and was absolutely not prepared for having to sit as much as a I do. I've had to be much more conscious about exercise since then. I hope you love your new job!!
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Exercise helps my state of mind, too. It's a very good thing.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I work retail. The application says that you have to be able to lift 75 pounds, and lift 35 pounds overhead.

They weren't playin' either. We've had people quit because they couldn't handle the physical labor.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you Like.Australia! That must be really difficult both physically and mentally - sitting for so long. I know that's much harder on your body than standing and moving around. Can you walk to work?

Ninja, I agree. When I walk fast I sometimes repeat to myself: "be here now, be here now" in time with the steps. I force myself to be in the present moment and attend to what is around me. It helped me when I was lamenting various men who were driving me nuts.

RCC, there is no way in hell I can lift 75 lbs. Are they crazy? Thank goodness I actually asked about that sort of thing in the interview. I'm up and down a steep staircase and they said I may have to steam some clothes. You must be very strong. I'm impressed! I need to do some upper body stuff - I can barely lift a tub of KCCC.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Registered Users Posts: 2,544
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Thank you Like.Australia! That must be really difficult both physically and mentally - sitting for so long. I know that's much harder on your body than standing and moving around. Can you walk to work?

Ninja, I agree. When I walk fast I sometimes repeat to myself: "be here now, be here now" in time with the steps. I force myself to be in the present moment and attend to what is around me. It helped me when I was lamenting various men who were driving me nuts.

RCC, there is no way in hell I can lift 75 lbs. Are they crazy? Thank goodness I actually asked about that sort of thing in the interview. I'm up and down a steep staircase and they said I may have to steam some clothes. You must be very strong. I'm impressed! I need to do some upper body stuff - I can barely lift a tub of KCCC.

Unfortunately, no. It's about 30 miles from my house. I make it a point to exercise though. It's not like I'm trapped at my desk, either -- I mean, I can get up and walk around if I want, but it's not a physically demanding job in the least.

I have my own business on the side that is much more "hands on" than my day job, which makes up for it. :)
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    Well done CurlyPearl!

I'm so happy for you. :)
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    Yay CP...keep it up girl! :)

Sent from my DROID2
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    CP, you are absolutely on to something. I believe exercise is the fountain of youth. It doesn't have to be strenuous and won't necessarily make you look younger, but it helps you have a healthier and longer old age. Walking a few times a week can be all it takes. I base that on my almost 85 year old mother and her friends.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    sdc wrote: »
    CP, you are absolutely on to something. I believe exercise is the fountain of youth. It doesn't have to be strenuous and won't necessarily make you look younger, but it helps you have a healthier and longer old age. Walking a few times a week can be all it takes. I base that on my almost 85 year old mother and her friends.

Also it gets you out and about. I know plenty of older people (and a few younger ones) who sit about doing nothing and seem considerably older than their active counterparts.

Weight bearing exercise (walking is great) is also incredibly important for preventing, or at least lessing the effects of, the chances of brittle bones.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file