Read the book, have some qsts!

RobinelliRobinelli Posts: 2Registered Users
I read the Curly Girl book and it was a great introduction to the co-wash method. I still have questions though that I either overlooked or the details were left out. I also have some qsts related more specifically to my type of hair from things I've learned on this site. I appreciate any help! I've never worn my hair curly, I've blow-dried it and then straight-ironed it everyday for the last 6 years (it turned curly after my first child was born) so I need a lot of guidance. :happy3:

---I *think* my hair is 3a on top in the front and 2c underneath. I do have a small section of completely straight hair in the back on the bottom layer that drives me NUTS. I believe it is normal porosity and medium texture.---

My qsts are:
1) How does one determine how often to co-wash? Should I start out co-washing every other day and then experiment with doing it more/less often?

2) I got the Suave naturals coconut conditioner. Will this work for my hair type as a rinse out also? Or should I use something else for the rinse-out (Suggestions please).

3) Speaking of the suave, is there something better I should be using for the co-wash? Or is this fine?

4) What is a deep conditioning treatment? How do I know if I need one and how often should I do it?

5) How often should I clean my scalp with something other than conditioner? Should I use baking soda once per week?

6) What is a protein treatment and do I need one? How often should I do this?

These are the biggies I am confused about right now. Thanks so much for the help! :hello2:

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1. Wash your hair when it or your scalp is dirty.

2. Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner is particularly good for people with fine hair, might conceivably have too much protein for medium hair, and isn't the right flavor for coarse hair unless it's been damaged. When I started CGing, I used it for both co-washing and rinse out. (It took a while for me to sign up for the leave in bit since I'd always thought conditioner was too heavy for my hair.) You can use something richer if you don't think your hair is getting enough emollience.

3. Suave Naturals Conditioners and VO5 Herbal Essences Conditioners are excellent for co-washing in my experience. My favorite is the VO5 Kiwi Lime.

4. A deep treatment is left on your hair longer, usually 20-30 minutes, and you use heat to help open the cuticle of your hair so that it will be absorbed. I personally love Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment, but have also used Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm with good results.

5. I don't ever use baking soda. I did it twice, followed with dilute vinegar rinses, and found it really roughed up my hair. If my scalp needs extra cleansing, I mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to my co-wash conditioner, and give myself an extra good scalp massage. That has helped me to become more conscious of how well I massage my scalp when co-washing, though, and I haven't felt the need in a long time.

6. If your hair is fine, or damaged from heat or chemicals, your hair may need extra protein. My hair is ridiculously fine, and I just add a few drops of a product called Neutral Protein Filler to my regular conditioner or DT when my hair starts to feel insubstantial, has no body, or gets lighter than air. I bought a little bottle of it for less than $2 at Sally's about 3 years ago, and have only just needed to buy a new bottle.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • RobinelliRobinelli Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you SO SO SO much!!! :occasion5:
    Your answers were amazing. I really appreciate it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file