Conditioner + Baking Soda used as an shampoo?

sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
I have 3c/4a natural hair. I have used baking soda+ conditioner as a conditioner after my hair was washed and it made my hair feel very soft. I have tried millions of shampoos and Im about to give up. They all made my hair feel stripped. I use alot of gel and product in my hair and need to wash my hair every week. I have tried co washing and it doesnt seem to get my hair fully clean. What should I do?

Comments

• itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    Have you tried using a shampoo with no silicones or sulfates? These contain gentle surfactants that can still remove build up but without completely stripping your hair of all moisture!

Some i'd recommend are the Shea Moisture retention shampoo and the Giovanni Tea tree triple threat shampoo. They're both super gentle and don't strip your hair :D

I've done baking soda washes before and I found it to be way too drying for my hair, if it works for you i'd say you can continue it :thumbleft:
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
    I have tried shea moisture shampoo and my hair felt very hard. I tried giovanni a long time ago (i dont know if it was a conditioner or poo ) and didnt like it too much. Im going to try renpure organics body and shine shampoo and give it a try. Im just super duper discouraged

• itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    aww :( well don't worry don't get discouraged -in the end if you find
    nothing works then the baking soda washes should be a good alternative to shampoo :happy7:
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • sewt15sewt15 Posts: 115Registered Users
    Thank You

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oohhh. Scary.

You can use baking soda in conditioner to cleanse your hair, but it's not a conditioner. You need to rinse it all out, follow that with a dilute vinegar rinse, then conditioner.

However, my baking soda roughs up and strips my hair badly, so I stay away from it.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • kandycurlskandycurls Posts: 11Registered Users
    I've used baking soda+conditioner as a way to clean my hair in the middle of the week after a more thorough wash. But i agree with the young lady above, maybe try a non sulfate shampoo?

Realness_blk-tee2-150x150.jpg
    Head over to KandyCurls for high quality natural hair t-shirts for women, men and children!

Twitter: @kandycurls
    FB:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KandyCurls/120915704621041
  • tashtash Posts: 112Registered Users
    I do a bs scrub on my scalp, rinse thoroughly, then co/detangle, rinse, then I use lemon juice in water, then rinse.

I have blond hair so I can use lemon instead of vinegar.

I have found that the bs/lemon is the only way to keep my scalp from being itchy and not use a dandruff shampoo.
    2b/c with some 1 and 3a tendencies. fine-medium, still searching for the HG..... Hair Bio
  • dyeozdyeoz Posts: 18Registered Users
    Are there oils, cones, or sulfates in any of your stylers?

I cheat and use a low sulfate prob once a month. I wish I didn't have to, but shampoos I've liked in the past:

honeysuckle rose by aubrey organic
    the clean shampoo from kinky curly

jessie curl cleanser cream and the other cleanser from jessicurl, I've tried them both

totally no-poo was tough for me, but if you are using sulfate free and cone free stuff, I think you can still get good results and have healthy hair.
    comic-p.jpg
    You don't need to expose your hair to baking soda, which is very alkaline (and why you need to use an acidic rinse after it) to get rid of scalp itch and flaking. Just mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with your co-wash conditioner, and scrub your scalp well. This will also give you a better sense of how to massage your scalp better when you co-wash.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    I'm confused by what you mean by a low sulfate. The examples you give are of low-poos, which are non-sulfate shampoos, and using a low-poo isn't cheating. They are non-sulfate cleansers, which is what Lorraine Massey advocates using. Even NoPoo has a non-sulfate detergent these days.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file