"Breathing directions" on exercise videos

RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
I am soooooo not into fitness, exercise, or anything physical. But I need to be, so I do some walking and have been doing some supplementing with Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.

So here's my question... for this video but really any exercise show or DVD I've seen -- when the person coaches the exercise, crunches for example on the 30 day shred DVD, they always say something like "exhale on the way up, inhale on the way down" (and I could have this backwards). But they are doing these crunches at such a fast pace... if I tried to match my breathing that way I'd be hyperventilating!

I totally understand the premise behind the inhale/exhale being correlated to muscle tension/relaxing but I just can't breathe that fast.

Or am I doing something wrong and really should be breathing fast enough to match their pace???

Comments

• beautifulRainbeautifulRain Registered Users Posts: 189
    I am a group fitness instructor and generally you want to breathe in a way that is comfortable to you. The inhale/exhale directions are more to make sure you are not holding your breath while doing an exercise, which you don't want to do. Holding your breath raises your blood pressure which is of course not a good thing! Generally the rule is inhale to prepare, exhale to execute... or put more simply, inhale on the "easy" part and exhale during the "hard" part.

Since you say that you are not that into fitness/exercise, I assume that you have not been doing these DVDs for very long. That may be why you feel like the DVDs you have are going too fast for you to breathe at the pace they are going. Start slow and work up to the harder stuff. I know some people who have the 30 Day Shred DVD and from what I understand it is pretty intense. So maybe you don't do as many reps as the DVD says, just do it for the same amount of time as on the video and eventually you will be able to do the exercises faster and faster until you can keep up with (or go faster than!) the DVD. :)
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks so much for your information. =)

What you say makes sense about not holding breath, and definitely makes sense about inhale/easy exhale/hard. And I could easily do it for slower weight lifting, lunges, squats, slow push-ups. However, for quicker movements, are you supposed to be breathing that fast? It's not that the video is going too fast, I'm fit enough to keep up without a problem... and the people demonstrating in the video are "crunching" pretty quickly. JM is there repeating, "Remember, exhale as you go up, inhale as you go down... exhale up, inhale down...." (or vise versa).

I can do the situps in-time with the people on the video, but it doesn't seem right that I'm supposed to breathe in and out that fast!
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Registered Users Posts: 189
    Hm... well without having seen the DVD myself I don't know exactly how fast they are going to say if it is too fast. As long as you're not holding your breath while doing the crunches I would say to just breathe as often as you feel you need to. JM isn't going to jump off your TV screen and yell at you if you don't do exactly as she says ;) It is more important to listen to your body and do what feels right for you.
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    LOL - thank goodness she can't jump through, yikes!!

Thanks again for your reassurance. To me breathing that fast just doesn't seem healthy (this isn't the only DVD I've seen it on, just the only example I can recall).

I can definitely go for listening to myself and doing what feels right! =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file