Advice needed: 3 mos. CG but hair is flat.

cHccHc Posts: 6Registered Users
Hopefully someone on here can offer some advice.... I've been sulphate-free for almost 3 months. For the most part, I love it. I've tried several different conditioners for co-washing and am currently using Garnier Pure Clean conditioner, and using Herbal Essences mousse (purple container, forget the name).

However, my hair seems flat and to be lacking volume and body. It also feels dry/rough.

For the most part my hair seems to be curling more than it was before I started following the CG method, but it hasn't "curled up" like I thought/hope it would. It's almost like it has forgotten how to curl like it used to before I had a flat-iron addiction. Before flat ironing my curls were mainly 3b, but now they seem to be 3a. I miss my tighter curls. I haven't used heat of any kind on my hair since following CG (diffusing with cool-air setting or air drying only).

I thought I'd be seeing more improvements by now, and am somewhat frustrated - but refuse still to pick up the flat iron again! I'm determined to have healthy curls.

Any suggestions for me? Maybe my hair needs protein? Any thoughts/advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    Have you tried adding some lo-pooing to your routine?
    Perhaps your hair has become over conditioned or has product
    build up that conditioners have not been able to get rid of! :O
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • cHccHc Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply. I did a baking soda cleanse followed by an ACV rinse - my hair feels softer and has more volume now. Maybe buildup was the problem? However, still working on the curl, so maybe I'll investigate protein.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you've done permanent damage to your hair by flat ironing, it won't be able to recover to a point. The damage will have to be grown out and cut out. Once hair reaches a temperature of 320F, it enters what's called the glass transition phase, and starts to flow and fuse.

However, if you haven't done a final, clarifying, sulfate cleanse, you may still have silicone buildup, and that could be contributing to your problems. I didn't do one, but I did use a very harsh low-poo three times (Burt's Bees, which I gave up when I realized how rough it was on my hair -- I now use it to clean my toilet bowl), and a BS/ACV. My hair responded very quickly when I started CGing, and improved a little bit with each Deva cut. However, I find it hard to believe that only sulfate damage was responsible for huge change when I had the last of my pre-CG hair cut off. I'm convinced that I really should have done a final sulfate cleanse. It's just one other time, and it can make a big difference.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file