Eating: Mom v. Tot

BrettyUBrettyU Posts: 930Registered Users
I win this round! :hello1:

sorry for the long post:shock:

Recently i dug my old dorm room fridge out of storage to use as a beverage cooler, however, I found a better use! Ive been filling it with portion sized healthy snacks and meals I want my toddler to eat. He loves having overwhelming options and getting the snacks himself when he feels like it. We have yet to argue over whats an acceptable meal choice! He's eating so much more now that its accessible to him and its his own personal fridge, he gets so excited to see what new foods are in it everyday!

whats been in the fridge lately?
celery and carrot sticks
yogurt
dried fruit and nuts
water, milk, and fruit juice in all his favorite cups
pasta salad
fresh cut fruit
turkey rolls (deli sliced turkey and cheese rolled into logs)

In the freezer portion i made smoothies w/ fruits and veggies and yogurt (no added sugar) into small containers for "icecream" i only leave one or two a day he knows that's his treat and when its gone its gone!
his favorite combo is spinach, carrot juice, frozen mango and peach yogurt (tastes just like mango)

What else has everyone been doing to get the little ones to eat?

Comments

  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love it! I tried keeping snacks low in the fridge for my toddler. He was eating some but feeding most to the dog! No wonder that dog loves my baby!! Im still trying to get my 2yr old to eat better, I guess he thinks thats what scoobys for, too eat what ever he doesnt want.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • BrettyUBrettyU Posts: 930Registered Users
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    I love it! I tried keeping snacks low in the fridge for my toddler. He was eating some but feeding most to the dog! No wonder that dog loves my baby!! Im still trying to get my 2yr old to eat better, I guess he thinks thats what scoobys for, too eat what ever he doesnt want.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    My son is 2 too! Lol it's an ongoing battle I'm sure if we had a dog he would do the same! Good luck!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    BrettyU wrote: »
    I win this round! :hello1:

    sorry for the long post:shock:

    Recently i dug my old dorm room fridge out of storage to use as a beverage cooler, however, I found a better use! Ive been filling it with portion sized healthy snacks and meals I want my toddler to eat. He loves having overwhelming options and getting the snacks himself when he feels like it. We have yet to argue over whats an acceptable meal choice! He's eating so much more now that its accessible to him and its his own personal fridge, he gets so excited to see what new foods are in it everyday!

    whats been in the fridge lately?
    celery and carrot sticks
    yogurt
    dried fruit and nuts
    water, milk, and fruit juice in all his favorite cups
    pasta salad
    fresh cut fruit
    turkey rolls (deli sliced turkey and cheese rolled into logs)

    In the freezer portion i made smoothies w/ fruits and veggies and yogurt (no added sugar) into small containers for "icecream" i only leave one or two a day he knows that's his treat and when its gone its gone!
    his favorite combo is spinach, carrot juice, frozen mango and peach yogurt (tastes just like mango)

    What else has everyone been doing to get the little ones to eat?


    What a great idea!

    Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

    You are beautiful!
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BrettyU wrote: »
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    I love it! I tried keeping snacks low in the fridge for my toddler. He was eating some but feeding most to the dog! No wonder that dog loves my baby!! Im still trying to get my 2yr old to eat better, I guess he thinks thats what scoobys for, too eat what ever he doesnt want.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    My son is 2 too! Lol it's an ongoing battle I'm sure if we had a dog he would do the same! Good luck!

    He will be 2 Aug 9th. He used to eat everything now all of a sudden he wont eat anything at all! Drives me nuts. And feeding the dog everything is driving me nuts too! He gives him polly-o string cheese, yogurt, pudding, goldfish, crackers, grapes, carrots..the dog follows him around all day waiting for snacks!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    It's absolutely normal for kids that eat everything to suddenly turn super-picky at around 2 or 3. Both mine did but I kept offering new things and trying to get them to try new things. My son has mostly grown out of it now (he is 6) and his little sister (3.5) is getting a lot better following his example.

    The mini fridge is a great idea
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

    Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • BugEyeZBugEyeZ Posts: 314Registered Users Curl Novice
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    BrettyU wrote: »
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    I love it! I tried keeping snacks low in the fridge for my toddler. He was eating some but feeding most to the dog! No wonder that dog loves my baby!! Im still trying to get my 2yr old to eat better, I guess he thinks thats what scoobys for, too eat what ever he doesnt want.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    My son is 2 too! Lol it's an ongoing battle I'm sure if we had a dog he would do the same! Good luck!

    He will be 2 Aug 9th. He used to eat everything now all of a sudden he wont eat anything at all! Drives me nuts. And feeding the dog everything is driving me nuts too! He gives him polly-o string cheese, yogurt, pudding, goldfish, crackers, grapes, carrots..the dog follows him around all day waiting for snacks!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    o god yes. THIS. What is this??? My used to eat everything, then one day...just ONE DAY he flipped the script. Now he won't eat anything but Malt O Meal and potatoes. He's not even 2! Grrrrr...Bad enough he spits anything not pureed out of his mouth...
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BugEyeZ wrote: »
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    BrettyU wrote: »

    My son is 2 too! Lol it's an ongoing battle I'm sure if we had a dog he would do the same! Good luck!

    He will be 2 Aug 9th. He used to eat everything now all of a sudden he wont eat anything at all! Drives me nuts. And feeding the dog everything is driving me nuts too! He gives him polly-o string cheese, yogurt, pudding, goldfish, crackers, grapes, carrots..the dog follows him around all day waiting for snacks!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    o god yes. THIS. What is this??? My used to eat everything, then one day...just ONE DAY he flipped the script. Now he won't eat anything but Malt O Meal and potatoes. He's not even 2! Grrrrr...Bad enough he spits anything not pureed out of his mouth...

    I wish I knew! My eight year old has always had a good appetite. He even eats his vegetables. Always has! I guess he got my appetite. The 2 yr old inherited his fathers picky ways.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file