We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

How often should you trim your curly hair?

Help! I love my color stylist have been going to her for years but she is “scissor happy”. I fight with her all the time about cutting my hair. I get color every 5 weeks & have not let her cut it the last 4 times (I did let her cut some layers into it) & it is finally growing (middle of my back) & looks fabulous. My question: she says it needs to be trimmed every time I color because curly hair gets split ends, but my ends are not split (I condition like crazy & use a split end serum) How often do I need to get my hair trimmed? Seriously I think she is afraid of losing the hair cut money, if I didn’t love the way she colored my hair I wouldn’t even go to her.
3A or B with an underlay of 2B.Matrix Curl Life Shampoo,Curl Life Extra Intense Conditioner,Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting Foam,John Freida Downplay Volume Reducer

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    If the ends of your hair are healthy and you like the length/shape of your hair, a trim is unnecessary. Personally I would be really annoyed that she is being so pushy and would try to find someone else to color my hair. But that's me... !
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • BlissBliss Posts: 125Registered Users
    I have only cut my hair a few times over the last few years. If the ends look good and you dont need a trim to keep the style shaped up then I wouldnt do it
    I could probably take a nice vacation with all the money I've saved by not going to a stylist for my hair over the last twenty years. My daughter does my trims (maybe 2 or 3 x year) taking just the tiniest bits off. I am completely frustrated by hair salons and their lack of curly hair knowledge.Do you have a friend you can trust to give you a tiny trim now and then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/b, very fine, very thin. Regrowing after chemo and radiation hairloss.
    Cone-free, sulfate-free.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I get my hair colored every 5 weeks, and I get it trimmed every third through fifth time. My hair guy just does it when the hair needs it. He did say that if I wanted to grow it out, it'd be a lot harder to do if I got it trimmed every time I had it colored. If the ends look fine, I'd leave it.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,762Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I get my hair coloured every 4 weeks and get it trimmed every second visit. My hair's a few inches past my shoulders at it's longest, shorter round my face and I find it starts looking ratty if I leave it longer between cuts. I think if you've longer hair and the ends aren't splitting you could go much longer than that.
    3b in South Australia.
  • BlissBliss Posts: 125Registered Users
    I got a cut tonight.....the stylist suggested I get a trim every 6 months
    Thanks guys you're the best!! I knew I wasn't crazy!!
    3A or B with an underlay of 2B.Matrix Curl Life Shampoo,Curl Life Extra Intense Conditioner,Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting Foam,John Freida Downplay Volume Reducer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file