Did I kill my curls?!

davelendavelen Registered Users Posts: 2
I'm a 20 year old latino with hair problems and I hope someone can help me. See last year I had medium hair which almost reached my shoulders (I just decided to let it grow never getting a haircut) and I thought it looked really good. My hair was kind of like this curly-hairstyle-for-men31.jpg :headbang:
But then a year ago my gf insisted on straightening my hair and she did it 2-3 times. Ever since them my hair seemed like it degraded. So then a month or so a go I had it cut really short (about half an inch) and let it grow naturally again and have my wavy hair back. So far my hair is a little bit wavy but not by much. On a really good day I would have %50 of my curls. So should I give up on ever getting my wavy hair again or is there something I can do?

Comments

• Tank10Tank10 Registered Users Posts: 119
    Never give up dude I have a theory that maybe the flatiron changed your hair curl/wave pattern or in short heat damage...you said 3-4 times of straightening so that shouldnt really change that much. Your hair will gradually revert back to your natural curl/wave pattern..if you don't see results after a while I think you should trim the damaged ends and keep growing. So for advice don't cut until you really can tell it's damaged. Also it could be since your hair is shorter the wave pattern wouldn't be as strong as if it were longer.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I bet it will come back. Don't straighten it again. Be sure to use a deep conditioner every couple weeks.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Registered Users Posts: 872
    You will have to get the moisture back. I recommend conditioner only while in shower everyday. No shampoo for at least a month unless you get dirt or noticeable buildup.

By end of month you should gain about 85% back.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]
  • davelendavelen Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks! I'm glad to know I can get my hair back. So from what all of you wonderful people have said what I'll try is not use shampoo for about a month and only a conditioner while letting my hair grow out :cheers:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    If you're going to go completely shampoo free, you have to be sure to not use conditioners that contain silicones, as most (but not silicones) are not water soluble, and will build up into a nasty mess if you're not using shampoo.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Tank10Tank10 Registered Users Posts: 119
    Cool

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file