What to do with beets?

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've never had them before, and I find myself with a bunch of fresh ones.

Short of just roasting them and hoping for the best, what can I do with them?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wonder if there is an easy way make harvard or pickled beets? But I love them roasted and then sliced into a salad with pecans and goat cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Borscht is a Russian beet soup. It's tasty and healthy.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yum! I love beets, and I just bought some today. I'm planning to make casunziei (which is a kind of Italian beet ravioli, served with butter and poppy seeds) for dinner tomorrow. They are so good.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think I'm going to try the salad suggestion since it seems pretty hard to screw up.

Thanks!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I agree with a salad with greens, goat or feta cheese and walnuts or pecans, or with borscht (mmmm!) The other option I thought of is a beet salad with beets, onions, seasoning etc. Or you could roast and season them and then make the salad. I actually really love beets.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RobinP92202RobinP92202 Posts: 213Registered Users
    I just recently discovered beets! I like to season and roast them with other root veggies, but they are good in salads too

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Robin
    *mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
    *3a shoulder length curls
    *experimenting with the CG method
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Next time we get some in our CSA I will probably try dehydrating and making chips. You can do that in an oven, too. I've found root chips and they're yummy, so hopefully homemade/not fried would be good, too!

I like to cut up and boil beets with other veggies for stock to freeze. It's fun to have the stock and use it where you'd use chicken stock or veggie broth to make a soup or sauce, since it adds nice color!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Throw them away?

:lol:

I pretty much love all vegetables but that is one vegetable I could never come to like. Beets taste too much like dirt. I've tried to like them, but the aversion is so strong. I even pick the ruby chard out of any spring mix salad I come into contact with. Last summer my husband snapped a picture of the pile of ruby chard I had picked out of my salad. He finds my nuttiness amusing.

5cy2ro.jpg

My FIL, may he rest in peace, loved his beets. Every year he'd travel to PA and come home with a case of pickled baby beets for his salads.

Good luck finding some good recipes! :)
    I think beets are the either you love them or hate them kind of veggie. I am in the love them group. There is a restaurant that has a salad made with all diff colors of beets. Love it!

Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »
    Throw them away?

That was going to be my answer :lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Juice them with Carrots and Apples for some ABC Juice
    (A-B-C, Apples- Beets - Carrots)
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    Peel them with a potato peeler, cut them into little cubes, toss them in a bowl with some olive oil & seasonings and roast them in the oven just like roasted potatoes! So yummy that way!
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
    Medussa....you read my mind. They smelled like dirt as they roasted. I don't know about this guys. LOL

I'm making a salad for dinner so we'll see. :/

• journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    I've heard that the whole love-'em-or-hate-'em thing with beets is genetic. Some folks think they taste like dirt because for whatever reason, their taste buds don't register the sweetness of beets.

I'm really glad that I don't fall into that category--I love beets. I will try them with goat cheese and salad and nuts. I usually either boil them or toss them in olive oil and fresh herbs with other root veggies and roast them. Yummy.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Add me to the "they taste like dirt" crowd. Maybe roasted like potatoes would be good? I definitely don't like them in salads.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in the beets are yucktastic camp. Same goes with brussels sprouts and baby corn... yuck!
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think they taste like dirt, but I also love them.

My SO got me to love them. He roasts them with other root veggies, makes delicious borscht with them. He serves his mom's pickled beets.

Anyway, I used to dislike them quite a bit, but now I love them. Beets are delicious.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Alright, I was willing to let the beet comment go, but Brussels sprouts?! NO! I just can't. Brussels sprouts haters are pretty much strictly people who have had poorly prepared sprouts. Sprouts are delightful.

On beets, you pretty much want to cook them by washing, tossing with oil, salt, pepper, herbs if you like, and placing in a pan with a bit of water. Cover with foil and bake at 375-400 until a cake tester goes in with no resistance. This will allow you to use them in a myriad of ways. I like a simple salad of beets, basil, lemon vinaigrette, orange segments, and toasted pine nuts.
    Beets that taste too strongly of dirt don't have a proper salt and acid balance. Beets need a good amount of acid to play up their sweetness, and salt further brings out sweetness and also balances the acid.
    If I never see beets and goat cheese paired in a salad again it will be too soon. It's good, but it's just so done. Beets and goat cheese, tuna tartare, the two items that need serious retirement from NYC menus. Try ricotta salata instead. Or feta. Or beets tossed with harissa and served with labne. Or a spicy rub and charred on the grill with a red wine vinaigrette. Or creme fraiche and pickled onions. Beets, cheese, hazelnuts, mâche, and special oloroso sherry vinegar.

You might like beet risotto, by the way, or pasta with beets and goat cheese (hey, it's not a salad at least).
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    But what if I like beets and goat cheese??

Central Massachusetts

Heh, I wasn't commenting on anyone's liking of the pairing, it's just something that makes me sigh when I see it on menus. I've had to make beet and goat cheese salad in some form or another at a lot of places now, and it's almost a joke how no matter what the restaurant or cuisine, NYC menus will have beet salad with goat cheese. Just like tuna tartare/crudo/carpaccio/tiradito. Le sigh.

And I do like the pairing. I'm just tired of it for salads.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Whew :)

Central Massachusetts

I actually mentioned this to a friend about how much I enjoyed my recent meal at a restaurant here and it was so nice to see a beet salad which was just beets, glazed turnips, and a citrus vinaigrette. A change for once!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Saria wrote: »
    Alright, I was willing to let the beet comment go, but Brussels sprouts?! NO! I just can't. Brussels sprouts haters are pretty much strictly people who have had poorly prepared sprouts. Sprouts are delightful.

LOL you're right Saria. They probably aren't so bad, but the one time I had them (and made up my mind that I loathed them) they were prepared by a relative who is infamous for being under the delusion that she is a fantastic cook. She paired them with a 3-meat mushy spaghetti that was covered in gritty tomato sauce because she had added so much sugar to it.

But I really can't reconcile beets. I think they're definitely something you either love or hate.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Curlyarca, how did the roasted beets turn out?
    midgi wrote: »

LOL you're right Saria. They probably aren't so bad, but the one time I had them (and made up my mind that I loathed them) they were prepared by a relative who is infamous for being under the delusion that she is a fantastic cook. She paired them with a 3-meat mushy spaghetti that was covered in gritty tomato sauce because she had added so much sugar to it.

But I really can't reconcile beets. I think they're definitely something you either love or hate.

Aw midgi, that wasn't right. You need a do over. Brussel sprouts, when cooked correctly, are the best! I love them pan roasted with olive oil and shaved Parmesan cheese. Cooked like that, they're even more addictive than potato chips.

I have a question for our resident defender of vegetables (Saria) :). What's the key to picking good brussel sprouts? 99% of the time, they're fine. But once in awhile, they do taste a bit bitter. We don't do anything different, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the particular bunch. Thanks!
    Buy them in season, when they're still pretty small. Always sweet and tender.
    I knew you wouldn't let me down on the sprouts, medussa. :D
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    So, a did a quick google search for recipes and there are quite a few that sound really tasty.

Roasted Beet Pizza w/ Onions, Garlic & Feta

Pascualina Pie

Beet Ice Cream!

I think the recipe that I'd most want to try is this one, though.

6a00d83451b31069e2012875a5c7c6970c-800wi

Beet Pie

Supposedly, it tastes similar to pecan pie...
    33abhqq.gif
    They turned out fine, but I just don't like beets. It's official. They taste like dirt. And not the good kind.:ncool:

(Yes, I've tasted dirt. More like clay. LOL)
    medussa wrote: »
    Curlyarca, how did the roasted beets turn out?
    midgi wrote: »

Aw midgi, that wasn't right. You need a do over. Brussel sprouts, when cooked correctly, are the best! I love them pan roasted with olive oil and shaved Parmesan cheese. Cooked like that, they're even more addictive than potato chips.

I have a question for our resident defender of vegetables (Saria) :). What's the key to picking good brussel sprouts? 99% of the time, they're fine. But once in awhile, they do taste a bit bitter. We don't do anything different, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the particular bunch. Thanks!

• munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a SIL who used to slice them and fry them in a little butter. They were great that way. I have never done it, but I remember I loved them.
    3b/c
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte

On beets, you pretty much want to cook them by washing, tossing with oil, salt, pepper, herbs if you like, and placing in a pan with a bit of water. Cover with foil and bake at 375-400 until a cake tester goes in with no resistance. This will allow you to use them in a myriad of ways. I like a simple salad of beets, basil, lemon vinaigrette, orange segments, and toasted pine nuts.
    Beets that taste too strongly of dirt don't have a proper salt and acid balance. Beets need a good amount of acid to play up their sweetness, and salt further brings out sweetness and also balances the acid.
    If I never see beets and goat cheese paired in a salad again it will be too soon. It's good, but it's just so done. Beets and goat cheese, tuna tartare, the two items that need serious retirement from NYC menus. Try ricotta salata instead. Or feta. Or beets tossed with harissa and served with labne. Or a spicy rub and charred on the grill with a red wine vinaigrette. Or creme fraiche and pickled onions. Beets, cheese, hazelnuts, mâche, and special oloroso sherry vinegar.

You might like beet risotto, by the way, or pasta with beets and goat cheese (hey, it's not a salad at least).

I got two bunches in my CSA today. One red bunch and a pink and white striped bunch. I like the roasting method you described. I think I'll try that.

The tops are for lunch tomorrow though. :)

I also got some lemon basil, and I think I'll use that with them too.

ETA. Can a fork sub as a cake tester? Feels like a dumb question, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Just a paring knife will do, or skewer. The cake tester is good because it's so thin and light and will go all the way through pretty easily when inserted. A knife tends to stop in the middle without a little extra force.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file