Products to loosen tight curls

UniqsoleUniqsole Registered Users Posts: 28
I am an African America male who has been using products that contain no Sulfates for the past 5 months now. I am in need of advice to help loosen my naturally coarse-tight-curly hair. I have been using the following products:

Shampoo: Organix ( I wash every other day)
Conditioner: Organix (I wash every other day)

Leave-in Conditioner: Cantu Shea Butter (Every other-day)
Daily Mosturizer: Organics by Africa's Best - Shea Butter Plus (Contains no Petroleum or Mineral Oil)

I don't have have a photo because I recently cut my hair and it's not at a length where you'll be able to notice my curls. Any assistance would be helpful?

Comments

• dandt1995dandt1995 Registered Users Posts: 89 Curl Neophyte
    Ok there isn't really a product that loosens curls, except for a texturizer. What you can do is add some gel. I suggest trying ampro style gel. So put that in your hair and twist and stretch the curl around your finger. That's normally what I do to stretch out the curls. I too cut my hair last Friday, and I am growing it back. I don't know much about hair.
    Conditioner: Axe: Just Soft Conditioner

Shampoo: Taliah Waajid - Total Body Shampoo

Styling Product - Axe: Style and Shine
    Pomade
    & Ampro Styl Gel

Hair Type: 4a
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Registered Users Posts: 872
    I believe all of those products contain dimethicone so you probably need to do a sulfate wash to get rid of the buildup and try more natural ingredients for moisture and shine. I don't recommend those ones anymore especially if you are trying to grow longer naturally healthy hair.

To stretch the curls you will need to comb out all your hair when you detangle in the shower with conditioner and water. Comb it while its saturated with the conditioner.

Then you will want to do some techniques while styling with gel. First ry putting in the gel and then combing it out again. As it dries it will curl up (if you have naturally curly hair) but because you combed it with gel it won't curl up as much as if you had not combed it.

The only other problem you might encounter is styling or going after a certain look but at least you know you can stretch out the curls naturally without using heat tools or chemicals.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]
  • UniqsoleUniqsole Registered Users Posts: 28
    PRINCETON wrote: »
    I believe all of those products contain dimethicone so you probably need to do a sulfate wash to get rid of the buildup and try more natural ingredients for moisture and shine. I don't recommend those ones anymore especially if you are trying to grow longer naturally healthy hair.

To stretch the curls you will need to comb out all your hair when you detangle in the shower with conditioner and water. Comb it while its saturated with the conditioner.

Then you will want to do some techniques while styling with gel. First ry putting in the gel and then combing it out again. As it dries it will curl up (if you have naturally curly hair) but because you combed it with gel it won't curl up as much as if you had not combed it.

The only other problem you might encounter is styling or going after a certain look but at least you know you can stretch out the curls naturally without using heat tools or chemicals.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]

Thank you for your insight. I was not aware of the "Cone" ingredient so I will be doing a switch in products soon. Do you recommend any conditioners, daily moisturizers, and gel?
    I try to not recommend specific products. Just try to stay away from any product with ingredients that end in:

-cone
    -conol
    -sulfate
    -xane
    -hyde

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]
    PRINCETON wrote: »
    I try to not recommend specific products. Just try to stay away from any product with ingredients that end in:

-cone
    -conol
    -sulfate
    -xane
    -hyde

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]

Thank you
    I don't think my hair has a problem with the oil moisturizer and leave-in conditioner. My hair sucks up moisture within a day, and by the next it's dry. I haven't noticed any flakes or continuous shedding.

I think I'll just try co-washing first and see what happens.
  • Tank10Tank10 Registered Users Posts: 119
    I believe there are product that can stretch curls w/o chemicals...your probably dealing with alot of shrinkage which is normal for curls, what I use when I want my curls to loosen a lil and stop alot of shrinkage is mizani moisture stretch it makes it look like I have I texturizer but I don't. But it's pretty expensive and results are pretty cool..I would recommend it..I've also saw miss jessy have a curl stretch product just look around ur options are wide
    45ff6a52-323f-82db.jpg
    I've found a hairstyle that reflects what I want to achieve. I posted a link to the photo below and I would appreciate if you guys could try and figure out what products are used:

http://streetetiquette.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/joshfloal1.jpg

I'm thinking co-washing, a leave-in conditioner, and a daily moisturizer and/or gel.

Thoughts?
    @Uniqsole

You will definitely need to use a good and creamy leave in but most likely will require something with mineral oil.

I would just section in about 12 parts apply the leave-in and oil throughout and kinda twist the sections so they stick.

To finish I would wet the very ends and apply your favorite gel so only the ends curl up and any pieces that don't quite stick into sections.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]
    @PRINCETON

What will the mineral oil do? I stopped using products containing this ingredient due to it possibly being bad for my hair.

I'm considering this hairstyle, with half the length shown, will I still need to use gel? I'm just not a fan of putting a bunch of products in my hair..
    @UniqSole

The mineral oil or grease will keep the hair thick and poofy. You can try Lusters Pink Oil or something that also adds vitamins and not just mineral oil. Personally I could not do this style 100% only because I don't use anything that requires shampoo later.

You can try something without mineral oil and without cones but it will probably be too conditioned and won't help keep it firm and poofy.

You can substitute the gel for conditioner but whatever you use will have to add to the ends curling affect.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]
  • Tank10Tank10 Registered Users Posts: 119
    Oooo wow that's my buddy Joshua kissi I look up to him as my hair idol thats was up if u are looking for half that length u wud be referring to this pic here that I keep as my goal. He always traveling cause he models but I'll try and ask him plus I seen pics of your hair and it's almost similar to my hair, like u said stay away from mineral oil 45ff6a52-d347-1da2.jpg
    @PRINCETON I think I'll continue using the Shea Butter Plus, that contains Dimethcone. My hair is thick and soaks up moisture pretty fast so it has no clogged effect on my hair. Also I'll keep co-washing and see what results I get.

I'll look into curling gel/cream too. Thank you for your advice.

@Tank10 It's cool you know him personally. I asked him on his Twitter account and his website about his hairstyle but I'm sure you'll get a faster response since you know him.
    Now that I really look at that first pic of him it looks like a braid out or a twist out.

You can see in the front he still has it twisted but somebody took the time to curl and add texture to the outted hair so it's not just wavy which normally happens with twists or braid out...they did a curly thing to it so it looks more like a twist out curl style.

You can have a lot of 2inch long corn rows (or twists) going back and then a week later unravel but leave about a quarter of an inch still twisted.

Like this from the side. The dollar signs is the braid out after a week and the -- is left still braided/twisted.
    And see how they're short and not one long braid from front to back of neck

$$&:-- $$&:-- $$&:--

PRINCETON BROOKE
    iMessage on iOS5
    [email protected]
    @PRINCETON I see what you mean. It makes more sense that he did a twist/braid to come out with these results.
    What process should I follow when I purchase a curling cream/gel? My process right now is leave-in then a daily moisturizer.
    Is your hair as long as the guy in that pic? If you dont do the braid method then you will have to take your time parting the sections, massaging in a thick leave in like pink oil so the hair thickens and twist into a twist/braid type shape and then apply gel randomly just to any hairs that stick up so you get that curly effect on just the ends.

I usually pick up some females hanging in the hallway or somewhere and have them braid my hair. Show somebody that pic and the method I suggest for braiding in sections. Then loosen 3/4 of the braid at least 72 hours later.

[size=+3]PRINCETON BROOKE[/size]
    GooglePLUS: http://gplus.to/Princeton
    iMessage on iOS5: [email protected]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file