What are the best cheap products for 3b gray hair?

BarbarosaBarbarosa Posts: 116Registered Users
Anyone have suggestions for less expensive products for curly gray hair? Mine is type 3b and I am going broke with the expensive salon products that I have tried lately including the Deva No Poo line. It doesnt work for me.

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Everything I use is listed in my signature below. Almost everything is cheap and easy to find. It's fun to experiment went things only cost around a dollar! : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    jeepcurlygurl -- which products do you use from jessicurl? i keep going back and forth with trying some of them, but i hesitate as no one talks about them anymore -- did this happen before i started lurking around, joining nc???
    i was looking at rockin ringlets and confident coils??

here's a thought i had about gray hair -- since reading the curl chemist article on gray hair, validating my experience that gray hair loses moisture faster than hair with color, in my head i've started subtracting 10 points from whatever the dew point is to figure out what to use in my hair. of course, with summer here, it doesn't matter.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've used nearly all of the jessicurl line and love the Island Fantasy scent. I don't buy them often since they are not cheap compared to what I spend on most of my hair products.
    I like to mix rockin ringlets and confident coils together and then mix it with my gel. The gel gives me hold while the other 2 products help with definition. My favorite product is the Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment.
    I also like Ojon Restorative Treatment, especially in the winter. It's also higher priced but lasts a long long time.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I've used nearly all of the jessicurl line and love the Island Fantasy scent. I don't buy them often since they are not cheap compared to what I spend on most of my hair products.
    I like to mix rockin ringlets and confident coils together and then mix it with my gel. The gel gives me hold while the other 2 products help with definition. My favorite product is the Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment.
    I also like Ojon Restorative Treatment, especially in the winter. It's also higher priced but lasts a long long time.

thanks! i realized that curl genie had recommended a few jessicurl products for me, one of which is the weekly deep conditioning treatment.
    maybe next time curlmart has a 20% off sale i'll try a few.

One of the products the curl genie recommended to me and I love and use almost every day is Loreal Studio Line Unkempt Out of Bed Texturizer. I never added it to my sig because the name is so dang long! It's around $4-5 for a 4 oz tub and lasts awhile.
    After I wash, add gel, and plop, I add a nickel sized blob to my hair. Helps with definition.
    i might try that in the winter. right now i am loving cj aloe fix gel, which comes as a surprise to me as my hair hated it two years ago. but it has glycerin high on the list, so it will not be good in those low dew points. i am looking around for something that will be as good as the aloe fix for the winter. since it is so cheap, i will try that.

• BarbarosaBarbarosa Posts: 116Registered Users
    Tried Deva No Poo, Daily conditioner and Angel gel. Lords and Ladies Salon has a return policy and I am thinking of exchanging these unless I am using them incorrectly. My hair does not like these. Any thoughts on these products? They were not cheap. Thought I would splurge and it didnt work out.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Barbarosa wrote: »
    Tried Deva No Poo, Daily conditioner and Angel gel. Lords and Ladies Salon has a return policy and I am thinking of exchanging these unless I am using them incorrectly. My hair does not like these. Any thoughts on these products? They were not cheap. Thought I would splurge and it didnt work out.

Most of us start out with Deva, think we may even like them--and then move on to other products. My salon has them and I won't let them use them on my hair. I find the NoPoo very drying after the ingredient change.

It helps to know your hair properties. Here's a thread to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html Once you determine your hair properties, you can look for other folks with hair like yours and see what they use.

My hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique type companies. I haven't found success with any drugstore products, but others may be able to help you with that.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PennyPenny Posts: 25Registered Users
    The one cheaper product I have in my arsenal that has been reliably good to me is the GVP Conditioning Balm (Biolage knock-off) from Sally's. It has no protein, no glycerin, and no aloe and is very moisturizing - a lot of people add honey or EVOO or other stuff to it for use as a DT, but for me, it's fine on its own both as a deep treatment and a rinse-out (but then I have a looser curl pattern than you and might need less moisture). Its smell is not its best asset IMHO, but it doesn't give me a headache or anything, so I can live with it. I think it's in the $5 range. Yes to Cucumbers is kinda nice too, a little more pricey (around $9) but you get a lot. The guy checking me out at Walmart hassled me about it when I bought it. He should see what I paid for my bottle of CJ Curl Assurance! (On second thought, um, no.)
    Too wavy to be curly, too curly to be wavy
    Fine (some exceptions may apply), low porosity (ditto), proudly rockin' my premature silver/white
    More please: EVOO, honey :love10:
    Nuh-uh: heavy oils and butters, ACV, soap bars, olefin sulfonate, protein :pukeleft:

GVP CB, CJ BC Argan & Olive Oil, and CJ CIAB for the W1N!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file