CurlTalk

Question about semi-permanent hair color

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
If your hair is almost totally grey, can I use a semi-permanent dye? Won't I have to re-dye the whole head of hair every 6-8 weeks and wouldn't that be hard on my hair?

My hair is really grey. I'm not talking about a few strands. I started greying in my 30's and I'm now in my 60's. I've been dying it with a permanent dye for years.

I was thinking of switching to a semi-p. dye because I'm modified CG and if it is less damaging to my curls, I'd prefer it - but since it washes out, wouldn't I be defeating the purpose of being gentle to my curls because I'd have to re-dye so often? My original hair color was dark brown, like chestnut.

Thanks!!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• GlitterandGoldGlitterandGold Posts: 38Registered Users
    semi permanent haircolor wont cover the gray. Permanent haircolor with atleast 20 vol peroxide will and as long its a good brand of permanent haircolor it wont damage your hair.
  • darquecinnamondarquecinnamon Posts: 7Registered Users
    What she said!!
    My fam members have grays and always use permanent with 20 or 30
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    CurlyPearl: You might want to try a demi permanent. Demi is in between semi and permanent. It deposits color on the hair shaft with a little penetration in the actual strand where semi just deposits on the hair only. HTH. Sally Beauty has a couple of demi lines.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
  • SNOW_15SNOW_15 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Wht is a good brand ???

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    SNOW_15 wrote: »
    Wht is a good brand ???

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Snow: My favorite is definitely Garnier HerbaShine. However, they have discontinued a shade I use so I'm going to try Clairol Professional semi permanent that I bought at Sally's. Once I use this, I'll post my review. If HS has a color you like, I'd definitely give that a try. I had wonderful results. Make sure to go 1-2 shades lighter in your choice though.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months