Getting hair to curl without cutting?

JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
I've been CG off and on for a couple years now, but still occasionally straighten my hair. I've noticed lately that my front pieces aren't curling down towards the ends. I've only straightened my hair like twice since my last trim (a couple months ago), so I don't know if it's possibly just heat damage from those couple times or if I'm just doing something wrong. Does anyone else ever have or did have some straight pieces that eventually curled better the longer they were CG or am I just doomed to have to get these straight ends cut off? I'll try to take a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.
cowash: Tresemme Naturals
rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity

Comments

• JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
    Okay... The first picture is what my hair looks like now (my avatar pic also). It tends to get more wavy the longer it gets. The next 3 are when it was shorter and curled MUCH better. The last one is what it looks like right now - BUT I also didn't put anything in it after I showered and I had it pulled back wet, so it doesn't normally look as terrible as it does in that picture. But, I wanted to try to show the front pieces that are practically all straight.

Any suggestions at all? I did a protein treatment a few days ago followed by a DT, but I don't think it helped at all and I think I might be protein sensitive too as it feels a little straw-like. Any help would be appreciated!

3a-3b - high porosity
  • curlylilbeancurlylilbean Registered Users Posts: 4
    it looks like heat damage to me. that's what my hair looks like now, and i'm just waiting and waiting to grow it all out. I do baby my hair a lot now, did you used to straighten your bangs/front a lot? it could be your culprit. The more I take care of my hair the better it's starting to look, and I encourage the curl through clumping and scrunching while it is wet.
  • JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
    I used to straighten it a lot more than I do now, but I don't understand why my hair looked better curly when I was straightening it more often? I hardly ever straighten it now and it looks so much worse curly now. I guess maybe the heat damage is just starting to catch up? I'm not sure, I'm at a loss as to why it curled better when I was straightening it more often and now that I'm treating it better it doesn't want to curl. :-(

3a-3b - high porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file