Simplified Clipping Technique...

CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
...that works for me. Finally figured out a clipping technique that works for me, and thought I'd share.

I use 2 duck bill clips. That's it. I part my hair on the side, slide one duck bill clip up the part from the back of my head (running parallel to the part) and lightly clip a little hair from each side of the part. I'm essentially clipping together the two sides of the part. This gives me the lift I need. (Kinda looks like the peak of a slanted roof.)

I then use another duck bill clip across the front of my heavier-hair side, running parallel with my forehead, just to keep that hair pushed up just a tad in the front and to also keep that first front curl on the heavy side out of from my face.

My hair is so trained to fall into this shape now that I don't even need that 2nd clip anymore really.

But that's it. Simple. Works. No hassle.

A lot of the success of it, though, also lies in how I'm getting it prepped for this. I basically get a lot of air into the top of my hair with a wide-toothed comb, then part it. Then super-soak to get my clumps back in place without pulling the poof out of the top of my head. Apply product, diffuse for while, then clip, air dry for a while, remove clips, diffuse again for volume. Done.

Wanted to share this because getting this part of my routine down has been the most frustrating part of my journey, and I was always voraciously reading everyone else's ideas. None worked for me. This did.

Hope it helps someone! :happy7:
Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
Stylers:
KCCC
Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

Comments

• Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    I will have to try this. I too had no success with other methods.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Registered Users Posts: 755
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I tried your method this morning, and I have all kinds of volume at the root!! I love my hair today! Of course I am getting it cut later this afternoon too...figures! But I will definitely continue to use your method to clip!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Wow, I'm SO trying this next time I wash my hair! I'd try it today (I'm sitting here with my plop on ;)), but I'm going out later today. So I'll definitely try this when I'm not going anywhere. I actually never really tried clipping (except for one time that I concocted something with octopus clips, and it came out AWFUL), so I've been holding out until I get more duckbill clips, since I only have two. I don't know if it's a coincidence that I just read your thread! If this works, you will make me more excited than ever! I have a lot of hair, and on the first day, the top is always pretty flat compared to the rest of my hair and it just looks weird. Can't wait to try this out! Will be reporting back once I do it! :D
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, I'm so glad it's working for others! It's so dang simple. I tried and tried and tried so many other ways--and nothing looked right. I got weird lumps and bumps and whatnot.

On me, this method leaves it looking like it naturally went that way. And really, after a while of doing it, it does. My hair gets "trained" very easily once I get a set routine down. I just use the clips for added insurance while I'm at the air-dry stage.

Happy hair, curlies!
    Stylers:
    KCCC

• redheadedcurlygurlredheadedcurlygurl Registered Users Posts: 11 Curl Neophyte
    I think I understand what you're doing, but I feel like it could leave a long mark or indent from the clip. Can you post a picture of how you do it? TIA!!!
    3A
    Stopped brushing and straightening in 2008.
    Sulfate, silicone, and terrycloth free since June 2011.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    Conditioner: Nature's Gate Jojoba
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Hold

Still trying to figure out what my hair likes and how to beat the frizz.
  • SheBrosSheBros Registered Users Posts: 332
    ...that works for me. Finally figured out a clipping technique that works for me, and thought I'd share.
    my journey, and I was always voraciously reading everyone else's ideas. None worked for me. This did.

Hope it helps someone! :happy7:

Thanks CrulyLin. I do something very similar only with tiny jaw clips. I basically part my hair and pull the hair from both sides of the part together and add the jaw clips the entire length of the part. I find this works great. However, I'm going to give your method a try also.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
    Hi Red:
    It does not leave a mark at all because you're clipping along parallel to the part. There's no funkiness with this method. That's why I like it so much. Just looks natural. Try it! You'll probably have to play around with it a bit and figure out how much hair to grab from each side of the part. Once you get that down, you should be set.

I don't have any good way to take pics...my cell phone camera stinks and the lighting is always too weird in my bathroom. Sorry!
    Stylers:
    KCCC

SheBros:
    Sounds like the same idea, but using one duckbill clip might prove easier for you than multiple jaw clips. I also found those jaw clips harder to get back out without messing up my hair. The duckbills slide right out--no muss, no fuss. :thumright:
    Stylers:
    KCCC

• redheadedcurlygurlredheadedcurlygurl Registered Users Posts: 11 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Red:
    It does not leave a mark at all because you're clipping along parallel to the part. There's no funkiness with this method. That's why I like it so much. Just looks natural. Try it! You'll probably have to play around with it a bit and figure out how much hair to grab from each side of the part. Once you get that down, you should be set.

I don't have any good way to take pics...my cell phone camera stinks and the lighting is always too weird in my bathroom. Sorry!

Thanks for the extra details. I think I get it now. I searched for clipping techniques and looked at some other threads and found one that had this link:
    Clipping Roots for Volume | Healthy Curls
    She uses a few duckbill clips on either side of her part (parallel to the part) so after seeing that, I understand how you do yours'. I will have to try it, too!:thumbleft:
    3A
    Stopped brushing and straightening in 2008.
    Sulfate, silicone, and terrycloth free since June 2011.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    Conditioner: Nature's Gate Jojoba
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Hold

Still trying to figure out what my hair likes and how to beat the frizz.
    Hope it works for you! :toothy8:
    Stylers:
    KCCC