Hard Water, Needs Protein, or something else entirely?

SmoochSmooch Posts: 51Registered Users
Please help me!
I am at a loss about my hair.
You see, I don't know if it's over moisturized, under moisturized, needs protein, or if I have hard water buildup?

When I get my hair wet it usually lies very flat against my head, and so I end up having to flip my head upside down to cleans my scalp, but then my hair ends up very tangled. I have done protein treatments (mayo, olive oil, sometimes egg) and that seemed to help. I read somewhere that using olive oil before you co wash makes the hair easier to detangle, bur for me this was not the case, and when my hair dried it was fluffy with little to no curl formation.

Does it sound like my hair needs more moisture and more protein?

ps-to style it i usually just scrunch a small amount of conditioner in. If I use gel, my hair has better curl formation but I also get more frizz and seems to make my hair tangle.

Thank you so much for reading
and please help me :goofy:
3 a/b. Dark-medium brown.
Natural products: eggs, lemon juice, honey, aloe vera gel. Cone free stylers.
Suave and VO5!!!

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Given what the olive oil did, I'd guess that protein might be a good choice. Egg and mayo are big proteins and can't bind to the hair the way that hydrolyzed proteins in hair protein treatments can. They don't pack the same punch.

I understand what you mean about gels making hair tangle - I have the Deva AnGel and it certainly does that. I SOTC with a little conditioner to help that problem. I like Kiss My Face Upper Management as a gel that doesn't cause crunch or such tangling.

Protein conditioners I know of are Ion Effective Care PT and Aphogee 2-minute (at Sally's Beauty in single-use packets) if you want to try a little. Check this post for favorite protein products: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-craving/128108-favorite-protein-products.html.

Not all of us with hard water have a problem with it. Whenever I think I might, I get a gallon of distilled water and wash my hair (start to finish) with only that. It's a good experiment.
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if your water is hard, do an apple cider vinegar rinse. This will dissolve any cleanser residue that didn't rinse out and it will enhance curl too.

I like to do an ACV rinse after PT because it just enhances the effect of the PT on my hair but YMMV.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

+1 on that! Those of us who do the homemade gelatin PT use acid (ACV, citric acid, aloe vera juice, or banana) in the mix because it enhances the protein effect.

Good oils that are much less heavy are sweet almond and apricot kernel and grapeseed oil. Also safflower oil (easier to get at a grocery store).
  • SmoochSmooch Posts: 51Registered Users
    Thank you both for replying!

I'll definitely try the conditioner's you recommended from Sally's.

Also, to do a vinegar rinse, do you have to use ACV or can you use just plain white vinegar?
    3 a/b. Dark-medium brown.
    Natural products: eggs, lemon juice, honey, aloe vera gel. Cone free stylers.
    Suave and VO5!!!
    I always use plain white vinegar because it's much less expensive.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    +1 on that! Those of us who do the homemade gelatin PT use acid (ACV, citric acid, aloe vera juice, or banana) in the mix because it enhances the protein effect.

Good oils that are much less heavy are sweet almond and apricot kernel and grapeseed oil. Also safflower oil (easier to get at a grocery store).
    Hey! Did you know there was a protein forum? Gotta leave the 2's more often. :glasses11:
    How do you add aloe juice to the gelatin PT? I just cracked my gigantic bottle open yesterday and am overdue for a PT.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I think I used a very scant 1/4 cup water in the PT and then added 2-3 tablespoons of aloe last time I did that. Now I can't recall how it turned out, must have been okay.
    Never, never NEVER mix aloe gelatin and banana!!! Not unless you want to caulk your bathtub with it.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Never, never NEVER mix aloe gelatin and banana!!! Not unless you want to caulk your bathtub with it.
    LOL. Good to know.
    ETA: Do you still use the citric acid, or do you just leave that out if you are using aloe?
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »
    LOL. Good to know.
    ETA: Do you still use the citric acid, or do you just leave that out if you are using aloe?

I leave out the citric acid if I use aloe. SolidGold did a PT with 1/4 cup vinegar - that was my motivation. But vinegar is itchy, so I used aloe instead.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file