Just about to start shampoo free and need advice

pixiewavespixiewaves Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi everyone. I am just about to dip my toes into trying a shampoo free method for myself and my young daughter. We both have wavy hair bordering on curly. Mine is a lot thicker and frizzier than hers but my daughters hair just looks like a mess all the time (especially if I brush it).

So after a little research online I have purchased some Laurate and Silicone free shampoo and conditioner. Obviously I won't be using the shampoo but I thought it might be good for a first wash to get rid of any product build up???

I have no idea what products I can and can't use in my hair to enhance the curls. I live in Australia so product availability may be a little different to the US.
Do I just avoid anything with silicones in it to avoid buildup?? Any other chemicals I need to avoid? TIA

Comments

• thecurly1thecurly1 Posts: 103Registered Users
    So I cant help w what products cause im in the US but basically you need to do a shampoo with a sulfate shampoo to get rid of any silicon products that you have used then dont put any thing in your hair gel ect. that has silicons in them. Find a good conditioner that is silicone free and wash with it.
    Short version of washing: mainly focus on messaging your scalp and getting all of the oils and dirt then wash one more time with the condis. After that you can use a better or more expensive condish to detangle and moisturize your hair consternating on your ends. Thats about it, its the easiest part of going CG. The hardest part is finding the right products because most have loads of silicons in them. Good luck and their is abundance of info on here if you just dig. On the very top of the page their is a search bar just put a few words in it and you will be able to find most of what you want to know.
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
  • MaggabMaggab Posts: 25Registered Users
    When you co-wash, like Thecurly1 said, you want to use cheaper conditioners, since you'll use a lot of them, like shampoo. I recently asked about the best co-washing conditioners, and got some really good responses. I'll be happy to share them with you.

I really like Suave, any flavor (scent) will do, but a lot of people on the boards RAVE about the coconut.

V05 is another good one; I'm partial to the vanilla tea scent myself.

As for rinse-outs, any conditioner Curl Junkie makes is amazing. But if you are on a tighter budget, go grab the GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's Beauty Supply. It's a knockoff of the Matrix Biolage Stuff and is great.

As for technique, you can search "co-washing" on YouTube and find some great videos. (Waterlily716 has a good one). I start with some conditioner on the tips of my fingers and massage it into the crown of my head first. Then I apply some more and massage it into the sides of my head. Finally I take a little more and do the back of my head. Once I've done all three sections, I then give my head a good overall massage, and then I rinse out.

I follow up with my rinse out, and leave it in for 1-3 minutes as I do the other shower things.

HTH!
    3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Lo-poo: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
    RO: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (on the days I lo-poo); Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender (on the days when I co-wash)
    LI: MOP Leave-In
    Sealant: JCOB
    Stylers: CJ AFL, CJ CIAB
    Finishers: DCSIF
    DT/PT: JCWDT, CJCF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file