New natural, like to know of any staple products for 4b?

Miss_MesaMiss_Mesa Posts: 4Registered Users
I am a New Natural wondering what products may be good for our hair type. I'm aware that you have to test out products and see what works for you but, I really would appreciate some good feedback in products other 4b's CAN'T live without.

So far, I have fallen in love with Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie mixed with EcoStlyers Olive Oil gel but I would LOVE to know what works for others and your regimens! Thanks.

Comments

• kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    Coconut oil, unrefined Shea butter, definitely try Shea moisture products! You can find them at walgreeens or walmart. Shea moisture has an excellent line of shampoo that won't strip your hair of the moisture it needs, and great styling products. :-)
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Qhemet Biologics.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • MalxMalx Posts: 72Registered Users
    My hair is course, thick/dense, and very low porosity... So with that said I like products with a medium amount of weight. My hair doesn't play well with oils and heavy butters, and does not like much protein, given the low porosity.

So I basically work with waterbase products. The one I can't live without is kinky curly knot today leave in condish.
    I also use the devacurl no poo to cleanse.
    Those 2 are my staples.
  • Miss_MesaMiss_Mesa Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks soo much! I gotta try a little bit of everything you ladies posted. I'm tired of having only some good days. I really appreciate the feedback!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    I have very dense highly porous hair. I always need to use something water based and then seal with a heavy oil or butter. I need to change my siggy as I've overhauled my products recently, but I generally deep condition every week, now with Curl Junkie's Deep Fix, then I use Oyin's Hair Dew as a leave in when wet, and seal with Shea Butter or Castor Oil.

I also love Qhemets products and moisturise with the between washes, as well as quite a few other products in the Oyin Handmade line.

I also need a little kick of protein once in a while, and now I use Curl Junkie's Repair Me.
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • voluptucurlvoluptucurl Posts: 74Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Miss_Mesa wrote: »
    I am a New Natural wondering what products may be good for our hair type.

Hi, Miss_Mesa, and welcome to being natural! Here's what I've learned (and it took me a long time to discover this). Your curl type (4b) really doesn't matter as far as what products you use; what's important is your hair type: if your hair is fine, medium, or coarse; whether it's porous or not; and your elasticity. Definitely pay attention to what the posts above mine say about their porosity, etc. because that will help you select products that will work with your hair.

When I first went natural, nearly everything I bought had protein in it, but I didn't realize I was doing the worst thing for my hair, since it's coarse.

See what Struttswife, a very knowledgeable stylist, has to say about hair type verses curl types:
    After you determine what your hair type is, you can search the Curltalk board to find information on products geared toward your hair.

I hope this helps, and all the best to you on your hair journey. :thumright:
    Voluptucurl  Embracing the curl—no more hair fights: kinky-wavy, very dry
    Last relaxer: Sept 2007 / BC: April 2008
    Nearly reformed product junkie; ayurvedic herb fan
    My regimen | Check out my blog
  • ms-ggms-gg Posts: 40Registered Users
    I use curl activator gels and aloe vera gel. My favorite curl activator is Worlds of Curls. Honestly, the best way to find what hair products work for you is trial and error. You may find someone with type four hair who does not use the same products as you. Just because you have 4b hair does not mean that your hair will behave like another sister who has 4b hair. There really is no one size fits all to natural hair. Good luck on your search :)
  • ElaineNicholeElaineNichole Posts: 5Registered Users
    I like Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner along with One 'n' Only Argan oil. Leaves my hair soft :)
  • InimitableInimitable Posts: 148Registered Users
    I am very low maintenance right now as I have a TWA (big chopped recently :D). All I've been using is Organix citrus mango curling conditioner, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, and carrot oil (no brand inparticular).
    BC'd July 1, 2011:love10:
    Bella is dense, thick, with low porosity

Sporadic Rants in Blog Form
    Thank you soo much! Sadly I'm just seeing this now but those articles definitely came in handy. I'm currently wearing kinky twists as a protective style but I'm looking forward to getting to know my hair a lot better. Thanks!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users
    Hey Miss_Mesa! Welcome to the beautiful natural world! I agree with the trial and error post above and knowing why a product works for you or why it doesn't work. With that being said, I will share what my staple products are. I happen to LOVE Oyin Handmade products. I've tried other brands, but have always come back to Oyin. I use their Hair Dew as a leave-in, Burnt Sugar pomade, Whipped Pudding, and Shine and Define as stylers/moisturizers. I also use their Greg Juice as a refresher for my protective styles.

My biggest advice would be to start with sample sizes of the products you buy. If a product doesn't work one way, try it another way. Pay close attention to the ingredients and try to understand which ingredients work for your hair and which do not. For me, my hair hates protein. Anything with lots of protein is a no-no for me. My hair loves most oils- especially olive oil. Coconut oil with other oils is fine, but by itself turns my hair into a big Brillo pad, lol!
    4b mostly, with some 4a

BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
    Thanks so much adst2nv! What sites do you usually try these samples from? I keep hearing about Oyin and I really want to try them now.
  • anonymous_26815anonymous_26815 Posts: 65Registered Users
    hi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file