95-year-old mother patted down, forced to remove adult diaper going through security

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
TSA stands by officers after pat-down of elderly woman in Florida - CNN.com
(CNN) -- The Transportation Security Administration stood by its security officers Sunday after a Florida woman complained that her cancer-stricken, 95-year-old mother was patted down and forced to remove her adult diaper while going through security.
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    That is so horrible. WTF TSA...why would anyone subject a senior citizen to that? There seems to be no respect for the elderly in this country...SMDH
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is the our national shame.
  • GeminiSignGeminiSign Posts: 156Registered Users
    :( I didn't read the article yet, but that is sooo sad! She must have felt so humiliated. I mean it's one thing to have to wear an adult diaper, but they made her take it off? :( poor lady..

And I agree there is no respect for our elders anymore. There's not even much respect for each other either. Sure, there are those good people out there, but some people are so rude, selfish, and disrespectful that it's upsetting.
    Woo!! I did the Big Chop!

:wav:

I didn't like it at first, but now I pretty much love it. :] I'm currently protective styling to get to shoulder length ASAP, so I don't get to enjoy it that much :dontknow:

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    How incredibly sad!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to wonder why? I recently went through airport security at LAX and it was no different than any other post 9/11 security I've been through. I fly a few times a year and have never witnessed anything like is reported on the news. Maybe I'm lucky.

I still feel horrible for that woman and her family. How awful and humiliating.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Stay classy TSA.

Wow.

Why doesn't the airline industry get on the TSA? Things like this makes people not want to fly. I know there have to be lots of people who would rather not fly than to have to be subject to all these invasive searches.

How The TSA Legally Circumvents The Fourth Amendment - Flying With Fish

'In order to create an effective change of the TSA’s policies, those who oppose current procedures should organize and file a legal action seeking to overturn or alter the U.S. vs David ruling by the 9th Circuit Court.

Presently the TSA has what appears to be a “blank check” in writing out what is “no more intrusive or intensive than necessary” and what is “confined in good faith to that purpose.” '

This family could sue the TSA for what happened.. maybe they should get together with other people who have been subjected to these extremely intrusive searches and file a class action.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Stay classy TSA.
    lol
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Stay classy TSA.

Oh they are very classy. My friend said after she got out of the scanner, the two agents looked at her and then at each other and snickered and giggled.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Considering the images on the scanner aren't even seen by the TSA staff running the checkpoints, I think your friend was being paranoid.

I finally went through a body scanner last week. I fly all the time and have only seen the metal detectors. I was in and out in 30 seconds.

Our TSA people aren't even TSA. They are contractors, Covenant Aviation Security. My understanding is only a couple airports are allowed to use them and SFO is one of them.

Not impressed. At all.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • CurlswirlCurlswirl Posts: 526Registered Users
    How horrible, sad and humiliating for the elderly woman!!! I hope they get sued for millions of dollars for this.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    gekko422 wrote: »
    Considering the images on the scanner aren't even seen by the TSA staff running the checkpoints, I think your friend was being paranoid.

I'm not sure and don't care what she was 'being'. She just told me what happened. Whether they saw anything or not, what they did was pretty unclassy.
  • JewelCurlsJewelCurls Posts: 191Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    gekko422 wrote: »

I'm not sure and don't care what she was 'being'. She just told me what happened. Whether they saw anything or not, what they did was pretty unclassy.

I agree. Is it possible that they were sharing geniality over that days Dilbert comic? Yes. When you are working in sensitive situations, however, it is professional to, as my lawyer husband puts it, "avoid the appearance of impropriety". Put another way, if something you do or say, if misinterpreted, is offensive, the responsible, professional thing is not do or say that thing... Even if it is not actually offensive in itself.
    Those agents were not mindful of their actions.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
    Dangerously open to product suggestion
    3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
    Favs:
    Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
    Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
    Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

• NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    [sarcasm]If that 95-year old woman had nothing to hide she shouldn't care about being violated.[/sarcasm]
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe they thought she was wearing a disguise like that Asian guy who dressed up like an elderly white man? LOL

Having had TSA hands between my legs several times, forgive me for not feeling too bad for this woman. No one was complaining when your average brown person was being pulled aside and felt up "at random" in front of everyone or worse. People are all up in arms over this now that everyone actually has an equal opportunity to be felt up and humiliated. Maybe things will change now that old white women are getting the treatment.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyArca, it's not that she was patted down (IMHO), it's that she was 95 and made to remove her diaper. You can say I'm naive, but if it happened to a 95 year-old brown woman, I think there would have been an uproar also.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    If it happened to a 95 year old brown woman, my guess is it wouldn't be in the news. It would be "business as usual."

But on another note, it really sucks that she was sitting in a urine and poo filled diaper for a flight some place. They should have at least let her put on another one, or maybe that was her last one. Or worse, the daughter put them in her 35 dollar checked bag.

This:

jack1997 Well since we can't profile people like we should, thanks to the limp leaning lefties, we have to treat everyone equally...no matter how ridiculous it sounds. We cant just search the demographic who is known for hijacking planes and terrorist activities no can we?

says it all.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

If anyone wants to hear what TSA is saying now and the story of the Backup Depends:

TSA denies having required a 95-year-old woman to remove diaper - CNN.com

They should just start handing out Xanax to everyone who boards. My point is this is ridiculous.

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Nallia wrote: »
    [sarcasm]If that 95-year old woman had nothing to hide she shouldn't care about being violated.[/sarcasm]

This is the lynchpin.... We gave up our essential liberties, and now none of us deserve them (to paraphrase Franklin).

My boss, when taking about this article yesterday, suggested we should just go back to profiling. Those were his exact words. He doesn't get that people of Middle Eastern decent deserve their privacy as much as whitey does, and that profiling is illegal for a reason. He doesn't care our didn't get it, but either way, his standpoint is the same as a lot of people: ruling to give up privacy rights for some, just not himself. As soon as they stop him in a scanner he'll be saying he doesn't look like a terrorist, but if someone who looks exactly like him blows up a plane he'll be *****ing that national security is a joke.

Posted from my smart phone; please excuse typos or brevity.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    curlyarca wrote: »
    Maybe they thought she was wearing a disguise like that Asian guy who dressed up like an elderly white man? LOL

Having had TSA hands between my legs several times, forgive me for not feeling too bad for this woman. No one was complaining when your average brown person was being pulled aside and felt up "at random" in front of everyone or worse. People are all up in arms over this now that everyone actually has an equal opportunity to be felt up and humiliated. Maybe things will change now that old white women are getting the treatment.

Agreed 100% - these were my EXACT thoughts! And also not getting why they did not have an extra diaper or two - or what was the point of wearing one? It was wet before she even got on the plane - so she was going to sit in that and pee and poop in it some more for the whole flight, and any possible delays etc? And then she took the whole flight with nothing on - and did what, peed and pooped in her seat? Bright daughter...
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I've had the pat down as well (for some reason, I was randomly flagged a lot when I was pregnant...what did they think I had in there?) and it sucks, but it's certainly not anything LIKE being asked to remove my undergarments and then go the rest of my flight without them. It certainly wasn't in the same league as revealing to strangers that I no longer had control of my most basic biological functions.

I'm so sorry you feel like you've been patted down more often than you deserve, but that doesn't justify humiliating other people.

It certainly doesn't justify blaming the daughter. Next time you travel with your mother who has cancer and now needs adult diapers for her bladder and bowel control, remind me to ask you if you packed everything.
    They did have extra diapers for her, but they were in the checked bags, and to get the bags out of the plane in time to change her would have even further inconvenienced the flight. They took a chance and let her fly sans diaper.

Hey, if I were here I would have pooed on the plane on purpose for the crap they were putting me through. Poo protest. :tongue1:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Some people are continent most of the time but have urge incontinence -- when they have the urge to urinate, they need to go right away. So they might wear an adult diaper just in case. This might be the case with this woman -- she might be fine as long as she can get to the bathroom quickly, but of course, when traveling by air, bathrooms are not always convenient, even while waiting to board the plane.

It's pretty usual for someone with this condition to be continent of feces, so pooing on the seat would be less likely.

Of course, I'm just guessing about this woman, based on my experience with my dad.

ETA: of course, bringing extra diapers in the carry-on would have been smart. Sure, she might just have forgotten.
    CGNYC wrote: »
    Yes, I've had the pat down as well (for some reason, I was randomly flagged a lot when I was pregnant...what did they think I had in there?) and it sucks, but it's certainly not anything LIKE being asked to remove my undergarments and then go the rest of my flight without them. It certainly wasn't in the same league as revealing to strangers that I no longer had control of my most basic biological functions.

I'm so sorry you feel like you've been patted down more often than you deserve, but that doesn't justify humiliating other people.

It certainly doesn't justify blaming the daughter. Next time you travel with your mother who has cancer and now needs adult diapers for her bladder and bowel control, remind me to ask you if you packed everything.

CGNYC: the point being that the daughter is now saying it was her idea to remove the diaper and all the TSA people did was tell her it was wet and therefore difficult to do a search. So... she neglects or forgets to bring a diaper, then takes off the only one her mother has, then complains that TSA did it and "made" her go without underwear? No they didn't.

I am not necessarily talking about myself. As curlyarca's quote posted, Middle Eastern people are continually harassed by security and a large portion of the population think they deserve it. Why should they be the only ones who do? Can't imagine an outraged news story about an Arab man harassed by security, or a Black man harassed by police for that matter. Why? Is that OK with most people, but this isn't? No, one doesn't justify the other - I happen to think nobody should be subjected to intrusive searching and paranoia - but it is interesting to see different reactions to invasive searches depending on who the victim is. This makes me think that some people don't have a problem with the search technique per se, they just think it should be reserved for certain people.

I realize things can be forgotten, but if you forget the diaper, realize you forgot it and don't try to blame someone else. I'm sure when security officials suggested removing the diaper or indicated a problem with it or whatever they did, they would have assumed she had spare ones.

eta: so she told them she didn't have any spares in the carry-on luggage, but that oversight isn't the TSA's fault. Caregivers are responsible for bringing everything their dependents need or may need.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Well speaking for myself, after 9/11 and hearing about the rampant profiling of Arab-Americans I was pretty pissed off about it then and still am. I don't think it should be happening at all.
    Well speaking for myself, after 9/11 and hearing about the rampant profiling of Arab-Americans I was pretty pissed off about it then and still am. I don't think it should be happening at all.

I don't disagree with this. Funny thing is, even with all this invasive searching, we aren't any safer, and are probably less so because people who feel alienated by the profiling are angry and ready to act out.

.png

534Pm5.png

• gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    Funny thing is, even with all this invasive searching, we aren't any safer,

This is the part that annoys me. All these changes, all this scanning crap, pat downs, whatever, and we are absolutely no safer now than we were.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    Amneris wrote: »

I don't disagree with this. Funny thing is, even with all this invasive searching, we aren't any safer, and are probably less so because people who feel alienated by the profiling are angry and ready to act out.

There is some report that was put out by I forget exactly which gov't entity, but the gist of the report is that "anti-terrorism policies" basically cause more terrorism.. people (quite rightly) don't want to be treated like criminals without cause, and it makes them want to retaliate. I'm not thinking this old woman will do something like that, but someone else with a different mindset just might.

Not saying she deserved to be humiliated or blaming the daughter.

If you let your mom sit in ****, literally, and it is noticed.....and you forgot to pack them in a carry on, why get mad at the person who pointed it out? If the mom were a sickly, screaming child on the plane someone would notice and probably say something. Just how someone was bound to notice the smell of petrified poo and pee. I do really feel for people with incontinence, but at the same time no one wants to be exposed to biohazardous waste either. If it had been a forgotten colostomy bag, the person probably would not have been allowed on the plane at all.

Not standing up for TSA either. They're definitely not my friends. :goofy: I hope they wash their hands when they're sticking their hands between people's legs and in their incontinence briefs.

curlyarca wrote: »

Not saying she deserved to be humiliated or blaming the daughter.

If you let your mom sit in ****, literally, and it is noticed.....and you forgot to pack them in a carry on, why get mad at the person who pointed it out? If the mom were a sickly, screaming child on the plane someone would notice and probably say something. Just how someone was bound to notice the smell of petrified poo and pee. I do really feel for people with incontinence, but at the same time no one wants to be exposed to biohazardous waste either. If it had been a forgotten colostomy bag, the person probably would not have been allowed on the plane at all.

Not standing up for TSA either. They're definitely not my friends. :goofy: I hope they wash their hands when they're sticking their hands between people's legs and in their incontinence briefs.

Agreed. (And I read the diaper being wet and firm as that it had pee and poop. And even with urge incontinence, you may need a spare, right?) People get reported to child protection for not changing their kids' diapers enough.

.png

534Pm5.png

msnbc.com Video Player

TSA searches a black woman's natural hair. TSA doesn't search other women with curly hair or women with a similar hairstyle as hers was that day.

Anyone see this yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file