Help!! To Go or Not Go Natural??...

meganmoniquemeganmonique Posts: 6Registered Users
Hey ladies!!

My name is Megan and I am new to the site. :-) I've been checking it out the past cpl day b/c I have a few friends who are completely natural and they've mentioned site a few times! And so now, I have made the decision to go natural...well not really lol. I'm still unsure at this moment if I want to or not. On the one hand I do because I love the versatility that comes w/ it and frankly I'm just bored with relaxed hair now. On the other hand I don't want to b/c I don't want it to seem like I'm doing b/c everyone else is. What do you guys think?

It's been about 4 1/2 months since my last relaxer, so I guess I'm transitioning. But I'm not sure since I haven't been doing any "transitioning techniques" until recently. So my real question for you all is, WHAT DO I DO? LOL I know that it like so broad, but I am so new at this process and I don't know where to start. I guess to make it easier to answer, I'll just some of my questions:
  • Is there something I need to do everyday to my hair?
  • What about co-washing? How often should I do it?
  • What shampoos/conditioners are good to use (at a cheap price -- I'm on a budget these days lol)?
  • What are some other products that you recommend for me to use during transition?
  • What are some transitioning do's/don'ts that I need to know about?
Here are the products I use currently. Are these good or no?:
  • Organic Root Stimulator shamppo/replenishing conditioner/hair moisturizer/wrap and setting mousse (you see I'm a big ORS fan LOL)
  • Hollywood Beauty (?) Olive Oil
  • Profectiv Hair Growth Lotion
I've also been doing rollersets the last 1 1/2 months and I love it! I tried to straighten my hair a cpl weeks ago and didn't like it and immediately did another set.

I hope this post isn't too long, and I apologize if some of these ?s have been answered elsewhere on the board. Like I said, I'm fairly new to this and maybe a little over-excited. All of your help/answers are greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• mmoise76mmoise76 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Hey ladies!!

My name is Megan and I am new to the site. :-) I've been checking it out the past cpl day b/c I have a few friends who are completely natural and they've mentioned site a few times! And so now, I have made the decision to go natural...well not really lol. I'm still unsure at this moment if I want to or not. On the one hand I do because I love the versatility that comes w/ it and frankly I'm just bored with relaxed hair now. On the other hand I don't want to b/c I don't want it to seem like I'm doing b/c everyone else is. What do you guys think?

It's been about 4 1/2 months since my last relaxer, so I guess I'm transitioning. But I'm not sure since I haven't been doing any "transitioning techniques" until recently. So my real question for you all is, WHAT DO I DO? LOL I know that it like so broad, but I am so new at this process and I don't know where to start. I guess to make it easier to answer, I'll just some of my questions:
    • What shampoos/conditioners are good to use (at a cheap price -- I'm on a budget these days lol)?
    • What are some other products that you recommend for me to use during transition?
    • Organic Root Stimulator shamppo/replenishing conditioner/hair moisturizer/wrap and setting mousse (you see I'm a big ORS fan LOL)
    I've also been doing rollersets the last 1 1/2 months and I love it! I tried to straighten my hair a cpl weeks ago and didn't like it and immediately did another set.

I hope this post isn't too long, and I apologize if some of these ?s have been answered elsewhere on the board. Like I said, I'm fairly new to this and maybe a little over-excited. All of your help/answers are greatly appreciated :)

Well I am new to and have not had a perm since Feb 2011. I do not want to do the big chop. So I am using Treasured Locks natural relaxer in this transition. So far so good. You can check my post and see the pics I posted. I am really learning as well so I can't offer up any more info than that. Good Luck!!
  • curlykristenxxcurlykristenxx Posts: 51Registered Users
    yes do it! go natural! it will make your life much easier. doing your hair will be quicker and easier once you find out what routine and products work for you. and you will feel better because your hair will be much more healthy and you will be treating it right. you will also be saving money. also once you go natural your hair can grow easier! and it wont look like youre copying anyone! dont worry about that. you should def go natural and stop damaging your hair! good luck!
  • meganmoniquemeganmonique Posts: 6Registered Users
    yes do it! go natural! it will make your life much easier. doing your hair will be quicker and easier once you find out what routine and products work for you. and you will feel better because your hair will be much more healthy and you will be treating it right. you will also be saving money. also once you go natural your hair can grow easier! and it wont look like youre copying anyone! dont worry about that. you should def go natural and stop damaging your hair! good luck!

Yes! Even now with the rollerset I've been doing, my hair is one less thing I have to worry about! I just "fluff" it up and go about my day! I've gotten so many compliments it's ridiculous! Like I said I flat ironed a piece of my hair to see if I wanted to straighten it again and was oh no! LOL I just dont know where to start on this process!! I think Im making a bigger out of this than it really is. I guess its just the excitement! Thanks for the encouragement :)
    mmoise76 wrote: »
    Hey ladies!!

Well I am new to and have not had a perm since Feb 2011. I do not want to do the big chop. So I am using Treasured Locks natural relaxer in this transition. So far so good. You can check my post and see the pics I posted. I am really learning as well so I can't offer up any more info than that. Good Luck!!

Same here! Last I got a relaxer was February. I'm gonna have to check it out! What other products do you use? And no worries :) Thanks for your help thus far! I appreciate it!
  • NaturalSassENaturalSassE Posts: 125Registered Users
    I bc'd but it is not for everyone. It's hard u gotta have to hurts bc folks say anything I have the type of personality where I am thick u say I'm ugly I say don't b a hater! Lol
    But it's pAid of no regrets!
    On the other hand I had a chic how transitioned for over a year hair is about the same length it's all on your u.
    If caring for transition hair is hArd to u do not go natural bc it gets pretty awkward at stages! But I have loved every stage!

So if your undecided try a short term transition
    I promise you'll never get bored!!
    Taking the Napptural World By Storm
    Bc'd June 21, 2010
  • mmoise76mmoise76 Posts: 12Registered Users
    mmoise76 wrote: »
    Hey ladies!!

Same here! Last I got a relaxer was February. I'm gonna have to check it out! What other products do you use? And no worries :) Thanks for your help thus far! I appreciate it!

Right now I am using Hebal Essence Tousled me softly shampoo and conditioner ( about to switch to shea moisture products) Using Shea Moisture deep condition and hair mist. I am about to pick up so ECO gel/ with olive oil for use from time to time.
  • NaturallyVNaturallyV Posts: 4Registered Users
    I think you should! I just started my transition and I was just like you not knowing what to do. I think if you get braids or a sew in the transition may be easier because all you have to do is keep your hair moisturized. Go for it!!!
  • FabledBeautyFabledBeauty Posts: 145Registered Users
    I am also in agreement with the ladies above me..

If you are tired of perm burning your scalp or coming away with scabs...

If you are tired of constant breakage and split ends..

If you are tired of wondering where your six inches a year are going to..

If you have always wanted thicker fuller mane of glorious locks and the versatility that goes with them...

If you want to be comfortable with the beautiful curls that god gave you =).. Id say go natural... I did it my freshman year and gave up and I never forgave myself for that.. and now im nearly seven months in.. it might be a test to see what works for you.. it might be rough your first few braid outs or wash n go's because the weather will.. be.. well. the weather.. but the level of satisfaction is amazing =)

and did I mention the sense of freedom :occasion5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Getting there slowly but surely!

Natural Since the Beginning of January 2011!:headbang:
    Current: Full Collar Bone
    Texture: 3B/C & 4A
    Goal: APL by New Years 2013 :afro:

See my Natural Journey on Fotki: www.fotki.com/fabledbeauty

Current Favs<3 Taaliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Vegetable Glycerin and Pure Argan Oil!!!
    Wow! Thank you ladies for all the advice/support. :) I think I'm gonna continue and start transitioning "officially" lol. I haven't had a relaxer in nearly 5 months so hey, if I can hold out that long, another 5 or 6 won't hurt LOL. Once I get settled (money wise) I'm gonna buy some of the products a cpl of you suggested :) Thanks again for the encouragement!
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Hey there! Welcome...

Can't tell you whether to go natural or not, because it's not me doing it. I've already done it. Some women make several attempts at it, and finally commit - some for good, some for a season.

It's not something to do because someone else is doing it/has done it. When I decided to go natural, nobody else was a consideration...I wasn't looking at who was natural, didn't ask for opinions, nor did I think long and hard about it. I was ready to stop relaxing my hair, so...that's exactly what I did. No regrets...except I wish I'd done it much sooner.

Hype doesn't last, and many women get frustrated easy, and the first side eye they get, it's all over for them. They go back and forth. So, it's important to really determine why you're considering it, and be honest with yourself. Are you going to be able to stick it out, when your hair natural hair starts to grow out, and you have to manage two distinct textures?

One of the biggest issues is the "unveiling". That's when you realize what you actually have on your head, vs what you thought or wanted. If "poppin curls" is your fantasy, make sure you can handle the reality...whatever it is.

Take some time and read, read again...and read some more. There are no shortcuts. There's tons of info here. So, take some time and take it in. If you have questions about what you've read, ask...folks are more than willing to help you.

Peace...
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file