CurlTalk

dirty feeling?

OCurlyDOCurlyD Posts: 12Registered Users
my hair just wont be soft :( its not exactly greasy, just kind of.. gross and heavy. i started cowashing (with tresemee. before i used yes to carrots shampoo) to try and fix it but it feels exactly the same, although its looking a little better. i rinse really well so i dont think that's the problem. ive tried evoo and mayo rinses. i only use a cream-gel, and not on the roots, where it's feeling bad. help??

Comments

• moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    Have you tried clarifying your hair with an acv wash or a shampoo? My hair felt coated and icky like that so I shampooed with a sulfate free shampoo.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • beautimusprimebeautimusprime Posts: 22Registered Users
    Perhaps try a lighter conditioner..I started using Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner and it is light and smells amazing..some other light-ish conditioners are Frizz Ease, Care Curl..Nexxus Hydra Sleek Silken Smoothing Cond..and Paulas Choice smooth finish..tresemme is a very heavy conditioner so that can be adding to the gross icky feeling..I had that same issue and I switched conditioners and it resolved it..try washing with a low-sulfate shampoo or no-sulfate shampoo weekly and switch to a lighter conditioner and you should notice a difference :)
    in the pursuit of hair happiness :color:
    3B/3C

Weekly Shampoo:: CHI (Sulfate & Paraben Free one)
    Leave In:: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Random Styling ::: KCCC / Coconut Oil / LA Looks Sport, Denman, Diffuser (LSLH) & Lots and lots of MetaGrip bobby's!
  • OCurlyDOCurlyD Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks to both of you! i picked up suave naturals (green apple smells sooo good) and that helps a bit, ive decided to get up the guts and wash with the apple vinegar tomorrow :)
  • OCurlyDOCurlyD Posts: 12Registered Users
    I tried washing with baking soda, then acv and it worked perfectly! super soft, and i got three day hair :) but now i just did cowashing again and its back to feeling not so great.. i dont want to acv every time, i feel like that'd be damaging :( is it just my conditioner? ive tried a bunch of different ones now...
  • PennyPenny Posts: 25Registered Users
    Do you know what your hair properties are (fine/medium/corse texture, porosity, etc)? The more you can tell us about your hair the more we'll be able to help. :smile:
    Too wavy to be curly, too curly to be wavy
    Fine (some exceptions may apply), low porosity (ditto), proudly rockin' my premature silver/white
    More please: EVOO, honey :love10:
    Nuh-uh: heavy oils and butters, ACV, soap bars, olefin sulfonate, protein :pukeleft:

GVP CB, CJ BC Argan & Olive Oil, and CJ CIAB for the W1N!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    The Yes to Carrots shampoo is a silicone free, sulfate shampoo, so it should have been a good clarifier.

You don't say what you're using for conditioner or gel, though. If there are silicones in either or both, that could be the problem.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • lovely_eirenelovely_eirene Posts: 48Registered Users
    Sorry to butt in, but I'm having a similar problem - my hair was great for two or three weeks after starting CG, now I always seem to have residue of some kind on my scalp, and often have gunky roots too :( The conditioner I'm using is just aloe vera juice and plant oils...would a baking soda rinse help...?
    Fine 3c type, loves protein. BS length when straight, aiming for BS length when curly!
  • lovely_eirenelovely_eirene Posts: 48Registered Users
    NVM - just washed with baking soda solution and rinsed with a very light lemon juice rinse, and that sorted it right out! :D
    Fine 3c type, loves protein. BS length when straight, aiming for BS length when curly!