CurlTalk

In the quest of knowing my curls I've discovered...

I thought this was a good thread to start. Most of us had no idea what worked for our hair before joining here (At least I didn't :confused5:). What are some of the things that you have learned about your hair? (After having tried a million hair products and countless techniques :D)

Come on and Share!

I'll start, I've learned...
1) My hair loves coconut oil but my scalp does not...it gives me a rash.
2) My hair LOVES jojoba oil!
3) After Cowashing and Low-pooing for a while...my hair now hates cons. That's why after I tried the wonderful "Wen" everybody raved about my hair felt coated and stripped of moisture and started drying literally in minutes, ugh!
4) The way to keep my curls with me all day (as opposed to them leaving me mid-day) is by applying gel...which I hated before I started CG and by Pixie-difussing. Silly me thinking that curls would just magically show up out of nowhere!

So, What have you ladies learned?
Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
:wav:
Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
«1

Comments

  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I've learned LOTS of things about my hair (and scalp!) since coming here! I've learned that...

    -My scalp is sensitive to fragrance and lots of or harsh cleansing agents (thanks IAgirl! :D).
    -My hair/scalp aren't too crazy about CO-washing -- a very mild and gentle fragrance-free low poo is way better.
    -Some kind of weekly sugar scrub is a must!
    -My scalp is crazy about AVG and Apricot Kernel oil.
    -There is no such thing as too much conditioner (or moisture!) for my hair! I have to add more in every day that I don't wash, or else I'm crazy dry.
    -My hair isn't the same without a good plop.
    -The only real way to diffuse without all the frizz and poof is to pixie diffuse!
    -SSM just isn't for me. :(
    -Layering is awesome in winter, but a simple, one-gel-does-it-all routine is better in summer.
    -Adding cornstarch to my FSG makes a world of difference.
    -Brushing my hair when it's dry is a huge no-no that made a world of difference.
    -Protein and my hair don't have a very good relationship -- it works best when it's avoided! ;)

    ....And so much more!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

    Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Oh that's right Wavynwild...I forgot about my sugar scrub. Has made a world of difference in my sensitive scalp
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • beautimusprimebeautimusprime Posts: 22Registered Users
    I have learned alotttt about my hair (3c) since discovering this site
    - my hair LOVES 2-strand twists and bantu knots..TOGETHER..(hair is sooo beautiful and soft after leaving those in for a night)
    -my hair loves tons and tons of conditioner
    -my hair doesn't really need gel/hairspray/mousse to look gorgeous
    -theres no such thing as 3rd day hair for me..but i'm okay with that.
    -bobby pins have become my sudden best friend when it comes to styling
    -a mixture of water and a little conditioner can really be a huge pick me up for my curls
    -my hair hates anything heat related..a little heat and POOF.
    -i've learned to love my curls no matter what they put me through :thumbright:
    in the pursuit of hair happiness :color:
    3B/3C

    Weekly Shampoo:: CHI (Sulfate & Paraben Free one)
    Leave In:: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Random Styling ::: KCCC / Coconut Oil / LA Looks Sport, Denman, Diffuser (LSLH) & Lots and lots of MetaGrip bobby's!
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Beautimusprime, you are lucky that you are able to style your hair without the aid of gels and mousse.

    C'mon ladies, let's keep them coming!
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I know, gotta love those sugar scrubs, right? They are so awesome -- makes my scalp feel like a million bucks! :) They're also awesome for any flakes, and my scalp feels so clean and refreshed afterward. AAAHHH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

    Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users
    - I love glycerin year round.
    - Weekly protein and moisture treatments are wonderful.
    - Spritzing with water and scrunching in a little conditioner can give 2nd and 3rd day hair.
    - Satin pillowcases gentle to sleep on.
    - I can never comb dry hair.
    - A daily dose of chocolate is great medicine. Oops! I discovered that long before I discovered my curls!
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    I'll play. I've been working at this a long time, so I've got a long list. :)

    I've learned:

    - Co-washing alone is not for me. Made my seb derm flare up. :( Lo-poo with gentle surfactants keeps my scalp and hair happy.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must remoisturize between lo-poos.
    - The best curl reviver spray (so far) is the one I make myself.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must section my hair to make sure I get product through all of it.I have too much hair not to.
    - My hair loves honey, jojoba oil, and all coconut derivates. It likes protein and shea butter, and hates EVOO.
    - Too much glycerin strips large-molecule hair color (thanks, RCC!).
    - Clumping isn't for me.
    - My hair goal is tighter curls.
    - I am a PJ.
    - Good Hair Days hairpins are awesome.
    - Did I mention that my hair loves moisture? :mrgreen:
    - Coconut oil is the bomb.com!!

    ETA: Forgot three important ones:
    - It's okay to break the oath I took in the mid-90s NEVER to wear another scrunchie (as long as no one but the husbeast sees me).
    - Satin sleep bonnets prevent frizz and preserve my curl. It's worth looking like Gladys Kravitz (nosy neighbor on "Bewitched" - I grew up on the re-runs).
    - My husbeast is a very patient, understanding man.

    That is all. :)
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

    Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    The good:
    • Cowashing frequently is my friend.
    • Lots of Protein is great.
    • Water is good, but not great.
    • My hair likes oils (grapeseed in particular is excellent, amla oil is pretty good too).
    • Amla is heavenly.
    • CG all the way. My hair is super healthy now that I've cut out the cones.
    • Occasional rollersets are nice, but not required.
    • Silk or satin scarves.. yes please.
    The bad:
    • Drying alcohols
    • Silicones
    • Too much stretching kills the curl.
    • Hair dye (but I'm still gonna dye it soon..wish me luck).
    • Henna
    • Baking soda.. burns my scalp.

    The ugly:
    • GEL of any kind :pukeright:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Bluesheep, that's awesome that your SO is understanding. Most men are not.

    Bekkapoo, what is Amla oil? I've been trying out different oils myself. My new discovery: castor oil! Been only using it on my scalp as pre-poo.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • rj16rj16 Posts: 186Registered Users
    bluesheep wrote: »
    I'll play. I've been working at this a long time, so I've got a long list. :)

    I've learned:

    - Co-washing alone is not for me. Made my seb derm flare up. :( Lo-poo with gentle surfactants keeps my scalp and hair happy.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must remoisturize between lo-poos.
    - The best curl reviver spray (so far) is the one I make myself.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must section my hair to make sure I get product through all of it.I have too much hair not to.
    - My hair loves honey, jojoba oil, and all coconut derivates. It likes protein and shea butter, and hates EVOO.
    - Too much glycerin strips large-molecule hair color (thanks, RCC!).
    - Clumping isn't for me.
    - My hair goal is tighter curls.
    - I am a PJ.
    - Good Hair Days hairpins are awesome.
    - Did I mention that my hair loves moisture? :mrgreen:
    - Coconut oil is the bomb.com!!

    ETA: Forgot three important ones:
    - It's okay to break the oath I took in the mid-90s NEVER to wear another scrunchie (as long as no one but the husbeast sees me).
    - Satin sleep bonnets prevent frizz and preserve my curl. It's worth looking like Gladys Kravitz (nosy neighbor on "Bewitched" - I grew up on the re-runs).
    - My husbeast is a very patient, understanding man.

    That is all. :)

    May I ask about the refresher spray? What does it consist of? I'm sorry to guano...
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    rj16 wrote: »
    bluesheep wrote: »
    I'll play. I've been working at this a long time, so I've got a long list. :)

    I've learned:

    - Co-washing alone is not for me. Made my seb derm flare up. :( Lo-poo with gentle surfactants keeps my scalp and hair happy.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must remoisturize between lo-poos.
    - The best curl reviver spray (so far) is the one I make myself.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must section my hair to make sure I get product through all of it.I have too much hair not to.
    - My hair loves honey, jojoba oil, and all coconut derivates. It likes protein and shea butter, and hates EVOO.
    - Too much glycerin strips large-molecule hair color (thanks, RCC!).
    - Clumping isn't for me.
    - My hair goal is tighter curls.
    - I am a PJ.
    - Good Hair Days hairpins are awesome.
    - Did I mention that my hair loves moisture? :mrgreen:
    - Coconut oil is the bomb.com!!

    ETA: Forgot three important ones:
    - It's okay to break the oath I took in the mid-90s NEVER to wear another scrunchie (as long as no one but the husbeast sees me).
    - Satin sleep bonnets prevent frizz and preserve my curl. It's worth looking like Gladys Kravitz (nosy neighbor on "Bewitched" - I grew up on the re-runs).
    - My husbeast is a very patient, understanding man.

    That is all. :)

    May I ask about the refresher spray? What does it consist of? I'm sorry to guano...

    I don't measure, but here's an approximation: I take an 8 oz. spray bottle and mix AVG and distilled H2O in a ratio of approximately 30/70, add a few drops of oil (sweet almond or jojoba work well), a little honey or agave, and a few drops of EO. Shake it like mad, and there you have it. :)
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

    Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    "Husbeast." I like it!
    I've learned that waves, and not curls all over, are okay too.
  • jerrYjerrY Posts: 61Registered Users
    ... how dry my hair really is. I co wash, apply a quarter size blob of a rich conditioner, leave this in and then apply CCCC mixed with BRHG. Simple and works every time.
    3a. iii medium porosity.
    JC, FSG, Matrix Biolage hydratherapie,
    Giovanni 5050, KCCC

    All CJ products
  • AngryLobsterAngryLobster Posts: 37Registered Users
    Oh, so much.

    - Cowashing is my friend.
    - Plopping = NO.
    - Applying too much gel to the top of my hair is guaranteeing four hours of wethead.
    - Squeeze out most of the water before applying any product/scrunching. Nearly dry is actually prime styling time for me.
    - Adding a tiny bit of gel after SOTC-ing guarantees all-day hold. It's like glorified hairspray.
    - There is no such thing as too much conditioner.

    And I'm sure there'll be more where that came from.
    I wrote a book. It's called Freefly. It's about a girl who can fly and how that's, uh, problematic. Be all wonderful and check that stuff out.
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Angrylobster, I've never thought of applying gel after SOTC. I always think that it would kind of "re-wet" my hair again....interesting.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Bekkapoo, what is Amla oil? I've been trying out different oils myself. My new discovery: castor oil! Been only using it on my scalp as pre-poo.

    I have the Dabur Amla Gold oil and it has mineral oil in it (boo, there are others using sesame oil as a base but I didn't know that when I bought it). However, it's a very moisturizing oil for me. I added it to a bottle of conditioner that I had and it is super slippy now and even good enough for a deep conditioner. You can use the oil alone as a sealer too.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • rj16rj16 Posts: 186Registered Users
    bluesheep wrote: »
    rj16 wrote: »
    bluesheep wrote: »
    I'll play. I've been working at this a long time, so I've got a long list. :)

    I've learned:

    - Co-washing alone is not for me. Made my seb derm flare up. :( Lo-poo with gentle surfactants keeps my scalp and hair happy.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must remoisturize between lo-poos.
    - The best curl reviver spray (so far) is the one I make myself.
    - My hair loves moisture.
    - I must section my hair to make sure I get product through all of it.I have too much hair not to.
    - My hair loves honey, jojoba oil, and all coconut derivates. It likes protein and shea butter, and hates EVOO.
    - Too much glycerin strips large-molecule hair color (thanks, RCC!).
    - Clumping isn't for me.
    - My hair goal is tighter curls.
    - I am a PJ.
    - Good Hair Days hairpins are awesome.
    - Did I mention that my hair loves moisture? :mrgreen:
    - Coconut oil is the bomb.com!!

    ETA: Forgot three important ones:
    - It's okay to break the oath I took in the mid-90s NEVER to wear another scrunchie (as long as no one but the husbeast sees me).
    - Satin sleep bonnets prevent frizz and preserve my curl. It's worth looking like Gladys Kravitz (nosy neighbor on "Bewitched" - I grew up on the re-runs).
    - My husbeast is a very patient, understanding man.

    That is all. :)

    May I ask about the refresher spray? What does it consist of? I'm sorry to guano...

    I don't measure, but here's an approximation: I take an 8 oz. spray bottle and mix AVG and distilled H2O in a ratio of approximately 30/70, add a few drops of oil (sweet almond or jojoba work well), a little honey or agave, and a few drops of EO. Shake it like mad, and there you have it. :)

    Thanks! :)
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Bekkapoo, what is Amla oil? I've been trying out different oils myself. My new discovery: castor oil! Been only using it on my scalp as pre-poo.

    I have the Dabur Amla Gold oil and it has mineral oil in it (boo, there are others using sesame oil as a base but I didn't know that when I bought it). However, it's a very moisturizing oil for me. I added it to a bottle of conditioner that I had and it is super slippy now and even good enough for a deep conditioner. You can use the oil alone as a sealer too.

    I like the idea of using oils in the conditioner but I avoid mineral oil like I avoid the plague. Glad it works for you though :thumbup:
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    I like the idea of using oils in the conditioner but I avoid mineral oil like I avoid the plague. Glad it works for you though :thumbup:

    I generally avoid mineral oil too, but I have used this and another product (Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Conditioner) which also had mineral oil in it, and I had good results with them. I guess mineral oil is generally "bad", but I go with the "whatever works" school of thought. :)
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • AngryLobsterAngryLobster Posts: 37Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Angrylobster, I've never thought of applying gel after SOTC. I always think that it would kind of "re-wet" my hair again....interesting.

    Yeah, it totally works. I use a really tiny amount, rub it all over my hands, and don't so much scrunch it in as pat it. It takes about a minute to dry, and I scrunch out any crunchiness, but it leaves a layer extra hold.

    Especially good for keeping hair in tact overnight.
    I wrote a book. It's called Freefly. It's about a girl who can fly and how that's, uh, problematic. Be all wonderful and check that stuff out.
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Angrylobster, I've never thought of applying gel after SOTC. I always think that it would kind of "re-wet" my hair again....interesting.

    Yeah, it totally works. I use a really tiny amount, rub it all over my hands, and don't so much scrunch it in as pat it. It takes about a minute to dry, and I scrunch out any crunchiness, but it leaves a layer extra hold.

    Especially good for keeping hair in tact overnight.


    I may have to try that now! :blob2:
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • Gibbsy777Gibbsy777 Posts: 72Registered Users
    I've learned about duck clips! These have saved my flat hair from damnation.

    Weirdly, I am not a huge fan of certain things a lot of other curlies like (co washing with Suave Naturals doesn't do much for me, and I'm still deciding if I like KCCC, but so far it is just meh). I also like plopping despite having shortish hair, but not with product in...I plop for a couple minutes, apply product, let it air dry for a few, then diffuse and clip. Works wonders for me!

    I am happy staying away from sulfates and silicones! I just wish a lot of Ouidad stuff didn't have the cones...
    *Shampoo - Tresemme Naturals (low sulfate) once every week or two.
    *Conditioner - DEVA One (used for co-wash too). Yes To Carrots conditioner.
    *Leave in - Garnier Fructis Clean styling cream & gel (DEVA gels are hit or miss depending on the weather. ULTA medium hold gel is also silicone free).
    *Other likes - DEVA moisture lock spray, Ducks Clips (spray with gel first), diffuse 30 - 40%.
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    Gibbsy777 wrote: »
    I've learned about duck clips! These have saved my flat hair from damnation.

    Weirdly, I am not a huge fan of certain things a lot of other curlies like (co washing with Suave Naturals doesn't do much for me, and I'm still deciding if I like KCCC, but so far it is just meh). I also like plopping despite having shortish hair, but not with product in...I plop for a couple minutes, apply product, let it air dry for a few, then diffuse and clip. Works wonders for me!

    I am happy staying away from sulfates and silicones! I just wish a lot of Ouidad stuff didn't have the cones...

    So how are the duck clips saving you from having flat hair? Do share. :)
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • PennyPenny Posts: 25Registered Users
    De-lurking to play along! (Hi everyone!)

    I first tried CG/modified CG 6 years ago, and it did not work for me at. ALL. Most of the products available at the time didn't suit my hair properties, but I had no idea what hair properties even were then, LOL! No one was talking about things like porosity yet, not to mention dewpoints and how to work with them. All I knew was that my hair scorned everything I tried - it was like, if everyone else loved it, my hair would hate it. I ended up using a combo of B&b and Davines products for awhile (without a whole lot of success), then eventually surrendered completely and cut it off.

    So I would say the most significant thing I've learned is what my hair properties are. If there are any complete newbies reading this, I know it's been said before, but I cannot stress how important this is: curl pattern really only matters inasmuch as it relates to dryness, so don't worry about it too much. Your hair texture, porosity, and elasticity, plus the climate where you live, are way more important.

    Other things!

    *My hair loves cowashing as long as I use the right stuff *hugs bottle of CJ DF tight* Suave Naturals Coconut can GTH. :compress:

    *It needs way more moisture than I ever thought, but again, it has to be the right kind. Butters and heavy oils are full of fail. Aloe and lighter oils are full of W1N.

    *It also needs protein on a regular basis or it starts to look dejected.

    *NEVER AGAIN ACV RINSES. Ditto soap bars.

    *It's more important to me that my hair looks healthy, soft and touchable than perfectly defined and wurly (spellcheck suggests surly - no, definitely don't want that either! :tongue5:

    ninja dog wrote: »
    "I've learned that waves, and not curls all over, are okay too.

    Cosign!! (Perhaps the hardest lesson!)
    Too wavy to be curly, too curly to be wavy
    Fine (some exceptions may apply), low porosity (ditto), proudly rockin' my premature silver/white
    More please: EVOO, honey :love10:
    Nuh-uh: heavy oils and butters, ACV, soap bars, olefin sulfonate, protein :pukeleft:

    GVP CB, CJ BC Argan & Olive Oil, and CJ CIAB for the W1N!
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Penny wrote: »
    De-lurking to play along! (Hi everyone!)


    *My hair loves cowashing as long as I use the right stuff *hugs bottle of CJ DF tight* Suave Naturals Coconut can GTH. :compress:

    *It needs way more moisture than I ever thought, but again, it has to be the right kind. Butters and heavy oils are full of fail. Aloe and lighter oils are full of W1N.

    *It also needs protein on a regular basis or it starts to look dejected.

    *NEVER AGAIN ACV RINSES. Ditto soap bars.

    *It's more important to me that my hair looks healthy, soft and touchable than perfectly defined and wurly (spellcheck suggests surly - no, definitely don't want that either! :tongue5:

    ninja dog wrote: »
    "I've learned that waves, and not curls all over, are okay too.

    Cosign!! (Perhaps the hardest lesson!)


    I just ordered CJ daily fix :love7:(along with some other CJ products...I've loved every single product that I've trid from this line). Just like you i also discovered that my hair needed way more moisture than I thought. When I used to straighten my hair this wasn't a problem. But now I find myself applying oils every other day if i spend more than 3 days without washing my hair.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • Gibbsy777Gibbsy777 Posts: 72Registered Users
    Cjcurly wrote: »
    Gibbsy777 wrote: »
    I've learned about duck clips! These have saved my flat hair from damnation.

    Weirdly, I am not a huge fan of certain things a lot of other curlies like (co washing with Suave Naturals doesn't do much for me, and I'm still deciding if I like KCCC, but so far it is just meh). I also like plopping despite having shortish hair, but not with product in...I plop for a couple minutes, apply product, let it air dry for a few, then diffuse and clip. Works wonders for me!

    I am happy staying away from sulfates and silicones! I just wish a lot of Ouidad stuff didn't have the cones...

    So how are the duck clips saving you from having flat hair? Do share. :)

    My whole routine when I wash - low poo, conditioner (products in sig), plop with microfiber towel, pat down with towel or t shirt, add gel, let it air dry a couple minutes while I apply makeup, diffuse upside down, spray clips with GF curling gel (for more hold), add minimum of 3 clips - left and right side, one in the back (somedays I use more). You take the clips and grab a portion of hair on the crown that tends to be flat...you want a good grab of hair and the clip needs to stand up, parallel so it LIFTS from the crown. I leave these a minimum of 30 minutes and someones add a little more heat from the diffuser. I leave these in on my commute to work.

    It's amazing! Using a gel (spraying it or dipping) is the key to keeping the hair nice and volumous on top. I have an angled bob (DEVA cut) so staying on top of cuts is also important.
    *Shampoo - Tresemme Naturals (low sulfate) once every week or two.
    *Conditioner - DEVA One (used for co-wash too). Yes To Carrots conditioner.
    *Leave in - Garnier Fructis Clean styling cream & gel (DEVA gels are hit or miss depending on the weather. ULTA medium hold gel is also silicone free).
    *Other likes - DEVA moisture lock spray, Ducks Clips (spray with gel first), diffuse 30 - 40%.
  • PennyPenny Posts: 25Registered Users
    Hey Rusycurly! Hope you love the Daily Fix! I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first because every previous attempt at co-washing was a total bomb for me, but this stuff really truly does what everyone says - cleans the scalp, gets the length of your hair clean without stripping, and leaves it super nice and moisturized. I have less (zero, actually!) scalp gunk than I've ever had with any product ever and my hair looks and feels soooooooo much healthier. Totally HG for me, and I've NEVER had an HG anything! :angel5:

    *ahem* sorry! As you were, everybody!
    Too wavy to be curly, too curly to be wavy
    Fine (some exceptions may apply), low porosity (ditto), proudly rockin' my premature silver/white
    More please: EVOO, honey :love10:
    Nuh-uh: heavy oils and butters, ACV, soap bars, olefin sulfonate, protein :pukeleft:

    GVP CB, CJ BC Argan & Olive Oil, and CJ CIAB for the W1N!
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Penny wrote: »
    Hey Rusycurly! Hope you love the Daily Fix! I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first because every previous attempt at co-washing was a total bomb for me, but this stuff really truly does what everyone says - cleans the scalp, gets the length of your hair clean without stripping, and leaves it super nice and moisturized. I have less (zero, actually!) scalp gunk than I've ever had with any product ever and my hair looks and feels soooooooo much healthier. Totally HG for me, and I've NEVER had an HG anything! :angel5:

    *ahem* sorry! As you were, everybody!

    I'm gonna use it today. I can't wait! I was dying to try Wen but was so disappointed with the way my hair felt afterwards. Can't wait to try this...will be back with results later.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Posts: 103Registered Users
    I have learned....

    My hair shouldn't feel like straw
    That conditioner put in after washing is the greatest thing ever
    Co-washing IS for me
    Did I mention anything about moisture LOL
    That I can have good hair
    That I dont have to stay inside when it rains
    Im not alone with the way I felt before I found this site
    I love FSG
    I need protein
    pretty much have had an eye opening experience on how to take care of my curly hair Thank you everyone!



    Things that might be a down fall....

    Im a PJ
    I cant wait till the next co-wash to try a different product line up
    curlmarts wish list (cause I end up buying when theirs a good sale)
    That im standing on the shampoo isle spending who knows how long looking at ing. in ALL the bottles
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

    co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Curlyone, you are not alone. I think all of us to a certain extent are PJs because we are always looking for that magical product :-)
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
«1