CurlTalk

Son of a Seabiscuit! surgery again -- UPDATE post #115!

CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
Dammit anyway! :protest: I just went back for a second mammo on my left breast and I have microcalcifications -- again. I had them about 2 years ago, same breast (posted here about it and got wonderful support). I had to have them removed/biopsied through surgery because they couldn't locate them with the needle biopsy.
Turned out to be nothing. Peace of mind but surgery for nothing. :(

Now I have more, again. They are closer to the skin level and can't be done with needle this time either.... another surgery... probably for nothing. :(

I'm more mad that I keep getting these stupid things that have to be surgically removed than I am worried that it's cancer. I hate surgery, I've had too many.

The radiologist said that they do look different than the last ones (I asked him to compare) so they would like to biopsy. But they are very tiny so I'm confident that if it is cancer, it's very early. He sounded hesitant about waiting 2 months for a biopsy but the nurse says she's seen much worse, even cancer, and patients have been fine with waiting. She said often it takes that long for a patient to even get through the system to do it anyway.

My dilemma is that we are leaving for vacation July 1, for 6-8 weeks. My son and I are staying in our RV at a campground and hubby will come and go every other week (work won't let him go for more than a week at a time, apparently the world stops revolving at work if he leaves :rolleyes: ).

I don't think it's even possible to schedule surgery in a week with having to get referrals and authorizations, etc. And if I did, my vacation activities would be limited (no swimming until healed, no bouncing around on boat rides...)

THIS SUCKS!!! :angry4: If I wait, then I worry over the summer. Either way, vacation is ruined. I'm beyond p'd right now.

If you're still reading, what would you do?

And please send all the Ts&Ps and good vibes that you can. :(
SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    (((hugs))) I'd prolly wait.....
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I'd probably try to schedule the surgery - I hate waiting for anything. Chances are you won't be able to get it done in time, but at least you would have tried. As for doing things afterwards - it shouldn't be too long until you're healed enough to be active. They can teach you how to apply a pressure dressing and you could use waterproof tape. You might not be able to go swimming, but you could go boating. Best of luck - keeping my fingers crossed that all remains well!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    2poodles wrote: »
    I'd probably try to schedule the surgery - I hate waiting for anything. Chances are you won't be able to get it done in time, but at least you would have tried. As for doing things afterwards - it shouldn't be too long until you're healed enough to be active. They can teach you how to apply a pressure dressing and you could use waterproof tape. You might not be able to go swimming, but you could go boating. Best of luck - keeping my fingers crossed that all remains well!!

+1 I agree completely with 2poodles. (((Hugs))) to you Curlilocks. I am so sorry that you have to go through this, and I can understand how frustrating it is. But you said the radiologist was hesitant about waiting 2 months to get a biopsy - that would signal me not to wait if possible. Please go ahead if you can - your health is more important than any vacation and since the microcalcifications are near the skin, it sounds as though the surgery would not be debilitating. If worse comes to worse and it is cancer, you wouldn't want to wait - get it early. Don't let a cloud hang over everything you do on your vacation. I send you heartfelt good wishes. :love7:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    So sorry about that!! But sending you good vibes!!

I would probably try and schedule it asap. I could not stand the waiting to find out part even though your history is on your side.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    Sorry to hear this Curlilocks :(

I would just have the surgery - less time worrying about it and you'll know one way or the other.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Thank you ladies for your support. :)

I've been trying to reach the surgeon all day, left a message. I have a feeling he's on vacation but the message didn't say so. ??

Part of me wants to get it over with, but the other part refuses to let this ruin my summer plans (which are important for us at this time, getting to spend quality time with son and hubby). Either way, I think it's being decided for me, not enough time.

Sometimes I wish we couldn't see how many views a thread has--it's a little depressing to see so many views and so few words of encouragement. :(
    I get what you are saying.
    Don't let that discourage you!
    What does hubby have to say about all of this?!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I'm sorry, CurliLocks! Thoughts and prayers are coming your way!

As hard as it would be to wait until you get back from vacation, I think you are right to not want your recovery to dampen your plans for a fun time with your family. I will also be sending you strength vibes to help you out until you can have this taken care of. (((HUGS)))
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    I have been through several surgeries myself. Removal of a thyroid tumor, brain surgery, partial hysterectomy. Personally, I would enjoy the time with my family, then have the surgery. Nurses usually are the ones to give you the real information as opposed to doctors who are more focused on surgery immediately.

Either way, you are in my prayers.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    So sorry C :( Ts and Ps your way.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Ignore the view count. I know it can get you down if its something upsetting or a medical thing you could use the advice on.

I know how you feel. I had to have breast surgery again on same breast recently - to remove same kind of tumors had 4 years ago. Once was more than enough and it seems likely I will have to go through it again in the future.
    It looks like I'll have to wait. I finally got thru to the doctor and they can fit me in next Wed 6/29. No surgery before I leave. I guess we'll see what he thinks when he sees the mammograms they are sending to him now. If he feels I need it out now, we'll have to change our plans for vacation. But I'm thinking we'll be waiting.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,289Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    {{{CurliLocks}}}
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    kat180 wrote: »
    Ignore the view count. I know it can get you down if its something upsetting or a medical thing you could use the advice on.

I know how you feel. I had to have breast surgery again on same breast recently - to remove same kind of tumors had 4 years ago. Once was more than enough and it seems likely I will have to go through it again in the future.

Yours were benign though, right? Mine have been so far, well the calcifications, no tumors. We're in the same boat. :( I'm thinking these will be recurring problems.
    Yes they were. They can pretty much tell from ultrasound that they are fibroadenomias so unlike you, I have less stress/worry about waiting for results after surgery.

I just freaking hate surgery. Recovery was longer this time as well for some reason. I do not relish the thought of going through it all again in a few years time. Its not certain of course, but thats twice now so seems likely.

Enjoy your holiday - if thats the earliest they can fit you then its the earliest they can fit you in :)
    CL...if you don't mind me asking, when was your last checkup? :curious:
    0004.gif

• LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I personally would want to get something like surgery taken care of ASAP as I wouldn't want my health issues to cloud any plans I had for the future. It sounds like it's unlikely that the surgery will happen before you leave anyway but just to get things over with, I'd probably cut my vacation short so I'd have peace of mind. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    CL...if you don't mind me asking, when was your last checkup? :curious:

This last visit was June 14, my annual exam and mammogram. The one before was a year ago, as usual. The microcalcifications are very tiny, so they were either not there or miniscule last year.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Hopefully they will have 'good' news after he views the mammograms. Keep your chin up!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Can you get it done one of the weeks your hubby is available - just switch places, or even return home w/ a break in your vacation?

Sorry you have to go through this. I'm sure I will have to repeatedly as I get older because the women in my family have all had to get multiple biopsies for benign lumps. My feeling is no matter how inconvenient you want the test asap just in case. Treatment should it not be the expected no problem gets worse the longer you wait - and prognosis is so positive for anything caught early. I just figure better be inconvenienced than at greater risk.
    {Hugs} and here's hoping it's another inconvenient surgery/test for another non-problem. :)

Sent from my "smart"phone. Please excuse typos!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Oh my sweet California neighbor. :( I'm so sorry you got this news and on top of it the dilemma with vacation.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts, for sure!

Maybe if I do this :pottytrain1: to your boob it would scare it right out of there? Anything for a friend!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    spring1onu wrote: »
    Oh my sweet California neighbor. :( I'm so sorry you got this news and on top of it the dilemma with vacation.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts, for sure!

Maybe if I do this :pottytrain1: to your boob it would scare it right out of there? Anything for a friend!!

I wish it would! LOL I told my stupid boob to stop growing stupid things already. :p
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Ugh, I'm sorry you have to have another surgery. Do the doctors know why you're prone to growing microcalcifications?
    medussa wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm sorry you have to have another surgery. Do the doctors know why you're prone to growing microcalcifications?
    No, I guess I should ask about researching that. I've read that they are caused my many things, some I have/had: mastitis (during BFing), fibrocystic breasts, injury to the breast, aging... ?

So the plan is to go in next Wednesday and see what the doc says. Hubby is off July 4-8 so we'll head up to the campground. We'll have a car and RV so we can all come back the week of the 11th if I can get surgery then (leave the RV). If doc agrees, we all go up the next week and continue vacation. :)
    So I receive an email from the insurance with my authorization to see the doctor, the wrong doctor! Of course, all the offices are closed. The appt is with Dr B and this auth. is for Dr D. So I look up Dr D's info and he specializes in general and oncologic surgery.

Dr B, the surgeon last time, specializes in general and vascular surgery. He knows my history, etc.

So, should I just call Monday and try to make an appt with this Dr D now? Maybe it's meant to be.

What to do?
    Go w/ Dr. D...your info can be sent to him.......
    btw...so, why did you have Dr. B?
    0004.gif

Go w/ Dr. D...your info can be sent to him.......
    btw...so, why did you have Dr. B?

That's who my gen doc chose before, I didn't know there were any specializing in breast or oncology before (2 yrs ago). ?? They said it didn't matter and that Dr B does it all the time. He did do a great job, minimal scarring, wonderful bedside manner so that's ok.

But I'm not unwilling to try this Dr D. I'll try to make an appt and also call my gen Dr Monday to see what she thinks.
    Sounds good!
    Let us know how things go :love1:
    0004.gif

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Go with whatever doctor can see you the soonest - especially if Dr. D can do the biopsy before you go. Peace of mind will make for an even better vacation!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    I agree with wile and 2poodles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.