The "Super Long Transitioners" Thread!

Comments

• CaseyGoNaturalCaseyGoNatural Posts: 145Registered Users
    So. As of now I've been transitioning for 16 months 1 week. Last I time I REALLY looked, it appeared I was at the half and half mark with 6-7 inches of natural hair and 6-7 inches of relaxer.

I wish I was confident enough to cut it off, but I sincerely think I need more length. I have long and wide curlformers, so whenever I do a set I just cut the excess hair. I considered transitioning like this until all relaxed ends were gone, but that would be next year this time. I'd love it if I could be natural by summer so I could start really experimenting with my natural hair.

Just venting "out loud" y'all. Don't mind me

PICTURES!

Sent from my LG-P509 using CurlTalk App
  • SedadicaSedadica Posts: 124Registered Users
    Can someone give me a good recipe for whipped Shea butter, please?

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    So. As of now I've been transitioning for 16 months 1 week. Last I time I REALLY looked, it appeared I was at the half and half mark with 6-7 inches of natural hair and 6-7 inches of relaxer.

I wish I was confident enough to cut it off, but I sincerely think I need more length. I have long and wide curlformers, so whenever I do a set I just cut the excess hair. I considered transitioning like this until all relaxed ends were gone, but that would be next year this time. I'd love it if I could be natural by summer so I could start really experimenting with my natural hair.

Just venting "out loud" y'all. Don't mind me

I totally understand you. I've been transitioning for a little less than you (13 months) and I'm still not ready to chop. To tell you the truth I don't know if I'll be anytime soon so I'll probably transition for the next couple of years because I just plan to do trims until the relaxer is all gone. I would just love it if that could happen by the summer but there's no way in hell. My hair is still too long. Maybe next summer I'll be all natural. This year I'm just enjoying the journey
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
    Jkoi wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I have been transititioning officially for 1 year as of today! I would like to continue for another year and I think I will be able to. The only thing that frustrates me is that other than braids and bunning I have no idea what to use as a protective style at work. I'm in the Marine Corps and I have to wear a cover so t&c's are out of the questioin unless I want some crazy looking hat hair! I'm still not that good at flat twisting, so I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions?

If that's been working for you so far just continue what you are doing. I know it is difficult when you are in the service because the styles that you could do are limited. Personally I've been wearing buns for a long time now and I don't mind it. When I wanna be fancy and have my hair down I would do some Bantu knots.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    Hey ladies, I need help. I want to buy biotin to help my hair grow but I don't know which one to buy. I keep seeing 300, 1000, 5000g and others but I don't know what it means. My hair is 3c if that matters. Can someone help?

• kurlykyleekurlykylee Posts: 101Registered Users
    Sedadica wrote: »
    Hey ladies, I need help. I want to buy biotin to help my hair grow but I don't know which one to buy. I keep seeing 300, 1000, 5000g and others but I don't know what it means. My hair is 3c if that matters. Can someone help?

Biotin is water soluble so whatever your body doesn't need will pass through your digestive system. But the body only needs around 30-100 mcg per day so I would go with the 300g because 1000 is 333% of the daily value and why would you buy something to waste most of it? Either that, or take half a pill a day. I'm about to start on biotin as well and I've heard it's better to start small because some women really break out when they take too much.
    Thanks for your help KurlyKylee

• Paige_NoelPaige_Noel Posts: 4Registered Users
    ahmalone wrote: »
    Paige_Noel wrote: »
    I had no idea of where to go so I decided to come here because I can't contain my joy! I have been transitioning for a year and a half in Feb. :) and I cut my hair today and looked and I have half and inch to an inch of relaxed ends left and my hair is to my collar bone maybe a little longer. <3 Super excited! I am prob gonna finish the rest off sometime between now and April/may and then start my grow out process where I just let it grow and try not to damage it and I'm gonna go buy some coconut oil since it can penetrate your hair the best and get some hair an nails vitamins! <3 thanks for listening to my rant to whoever read this! I was just so excited I had to tell some curlies cause there's are none in my family. Hah
    I AM SO UBER HAPPY FOR YOU!! hopefully i'll be there one day! :) Just want you to know, someone read your rant. How are you styling it post BC??

Well I conditioner wash once every ten days by putting on silk elements luxury conditioner and applying it then i use either green tea shampoo by suave or wen by chaz dean then rinse both out at the same time. then i add a bit more conditioner then i pat my hair dry with just any old towel, then i apply either ouidad humidity control gel or whatever its called haha or i use a combo of the curly sexy hair curl cream and liquid gel. and then i pile it on top of my head in a bun or 20 min then let it down and dry naturally and everynight i apply organic coconut oil to my ends to keep it healthy( and if i have dry spots i apply some coconut oil there.) Then once a week ( mostly saturday nights) I c ompletely soak my hair in coconut oil then twist tie a plastic bag as a hair cap and apply it overnight and or if i dont have time i apply it for four or five hours. ( I have it on as i type this now. ) haha so yeah, long explantion but thats what i do. :)
    Hey ladies, just wanted to give this thread a little bump and see how you are all doing. I'm still going 15 months strong and don't see any cutting any time soon. My hair is healthy and growing so I'll let it grow and then start trimming little by little but as of now I'm quite comfortable with my hair.
  • madicaprimadicapri Posts: 23Registered Users
    Hey everyone,

I had my last relaxer in May 2010. Since then, I've been keeping my hair in long term protective styles- first a weave, then in various types of braids. I've been slowly trimming off the relaxed ends & I plan on getting a Deva style cut in a few weeks.

I'm a little nervous to actually style my hair- I usually only have it out for a week at a time every two months or do.

But every time I take it out I remember how much I love my natural hair texture, so I'm really excited to complete my transition!
  • BeLikeTeeBeLikeTee Posts: 17Registered Users
    It's wash day! Just showing my 18 month post relaxer fro & relaxed ends. Popped in some curlformers and cut hair that was sticking out.
    6c47900a-d84b-c7d5.jpg6c47900a-d875-d9a2.jpg6c47900a-d8a4-8e2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk💋
    Relaxer Free since September 3, 2010
    Natural since May 18, 2012
  • CurlyFocusedCurlyFocused Posts: 12Registered Users
    I am still transitioning! Lol, thank goodness for learned patience! Because I could have have up a loooong time ago.

I was going to BC/MC after 3 years, but I am ready to do it now!!!!!

Should I BC on wet or dry hair? My stylist says dry. I say wet. We don't agree so I may have to do it myself, which sounds crazy!!!! I'm no stylist!!! :-/
    Forgot to mention, I'm 20 months post relaxer :)
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    I say BC on wet hair.

Anyway im 29 mnths post relaxer, I have no relaxer left in my hair, but I just thought I might post how many months its been.

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    I am still transitioning! Lol, thank goodness for learned patience! Because I could have have up a loooong time ago.

I was going to BC/MC after 3 years, but I am ready to do it now!!!!!

Should I BC on wet or dry hair? My stylist says dry. I say wet. We don't agree so I may have to do it myself, which sounds crazy!!!! I'm no stylist!!! :-/

BC'ing yourself isn't so crazy. A lot of people have done it (me included) lol with success. It is a little nerve racking but you can watch a lot of youtube videos for tips/advice.

I chopped back in December on wet hair during my detangling process in very small sections. It took a longggg time and although I did go back the next week and have to clean up a few remaining pieces, it was easier to do it on wet, sectioned hair because I could clearly see the difference between the relaxed and natural hair that way.

The thing you need to be mindful of is that you will more than likely have multiple textures in your hair and that your hair will not completely curl up right away. So don't keep on chopping just because you think that area is not curling up. You may just not have curls in that area or it may just be a looser curl pattern in that area vs another.Just be patient and go slowly so that you can clearly see what you are doing. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I'm not an expert by far but I don't mind sharing my experiences.

HTH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
    @Butterfly, honey that is what in nervous about! My textures are interesting lol. I have curls in the back. The front is damn near straight. The sides are ???? And the top is so dang on thick with something that looks like curls...I think? I'm nervous to cut my natural hair. Soooooo nervous.

But it must be done!!!
  • HennyRox05HennyRox05 Posts: 28Registered Users
    Hi guys! I'm Henny & I am 12 months post relaxer! I plan on transitioning for another year or two. I still have about 3 or 4 inches of relaxed hair in the middle and sides. I usually just do tnc's. I'm definitely a product junkie!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
    :angel5:Zaaylon'sMommy
    Finally 21 months deep into this journey! Scurred to chop off these relaxed ends, lol! Oh well, I'm so proud of me ;)
  • 9thPlanet9thPlanet Posts: 3Registered Users
    My last perm was in October 2011, and my mom convinced me in December to get a sew in so that I can just let my hair grow without me manipulating it. BAD IDEA. I kept the tracks in for about 4 months (mind you, this was my first time getting a sew in ever) and when I finally took them out (myself) it was a disaster I've never experienced. Pretty much, the part of my hair, where the relaxed starts, started to knot up to the point where I lost about a baseball size of hair. My new growth was still in tact but the relaxed part was completely destroyed. I'm so used to having this thick relaxed ponytail and now it's half its side. Good thing my new growth wasn't effected PHEW! Ever since that experience I vowed to never do anything like that again. I'm embracing my natural hair and plan on chopping off the relaxed part on my birthday in July. I'm having so much fun with this transition (and this is my second attempt --- I gave in to a relaxer 11 months after this first attempt smh). I look forward to doing my hair all the time now ... especially washing it and styling the little bit of curly new growth that I have thus far.

With all of the hours and days of research and shopping for the right products, I am happy to say that I can't wait to reveal my new look this summer.
    9th :alien: Planet
    Finally 21 months deep into this journey! Scurred to chop off these relaxed ends, lol! Oh well, I'm so proud of me ;)

I'm scared too!!! Lol! I'm 19.5 months post and I want to chop, but I'm scared if I chop it'll morph into something totally different that what I know how to handle. SMH
  • SplendidTressesSplendidTresses Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hey transitioners! Reading this thread reminded me of my journey, several years ago. I think it took 2 or 3 years for me to get rid of my relaxed ends. I can relate to being afraid to cut off the relaxed ends, but you really should go ahead and chop them off. You have enough new growth to know how to handle your natural texture.

I wish I had documented my transition journey, smh...ManeStay - A loc journey documentary
    I thought I was going to BC Friday night... I cut all the relaxed ends off in the nape area. The shrinkage terrified me and I quit. SMH.

Washed my hair Saturday morning and put it in twists w/ perm rods on the relaxed ends. I have no idea if it will blend or look absolutely crazy. lol! I kinda don't wanna look, but I have to eventually. Sigh

Anyway I'll be at 20 months post on Thursday...
    I am finally done transitioning It took me 22 months! And it was a looooooong transition and I am still learning my hair and still frustrated with it at times, but I just love being natural!
    I am finally done transitioning It took me 22 months! And it was a looooooong transition and I am still learning my hair and still frustrated with it at times, but I just love being natural!

Congrats! Must feel great. I'm still 17 months in. Can't wait until I'm done.
  • anonymous_114091anonymous_114091 Posts: 126Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    New long term transitioner here! I am currently only one month post relaxer and I plan on BCing when I am a year post mid-April 2013. I thought about transitioning for longer, but I don't think stretching for longer than a year is for me. Going to need all the advice I can get. :afro:
    *BIG CHOP: September 22, 2012* :afro:
    *Last Relaxer: April 15, 2012* :p

event.png
  • curly_ladycurly_lady Posts: 1Registered Users
    Ok.. so i decided to do the long term transition. I had my last relaxer 12/20/2011 so I'm 5 months post relaxer. I wanted to transition for about 1 year, my hair length with relaxer is about bra strap length, and I'm getting so frustrated right now with my hair. I mean a lot of shedding, when it's dry and trying to comb through it. It's more manageable when it's wet and conditioned but the minutes it get dry it all tangles again. sometimes I really feel like chopping it all off , and I really don't know if I can hold up for 12-18 months.

I have watched a lot of tutorials on youtube and I wear my hair mostly in buns or twist with sponge rollers for some curls. Sometimes i feel so challenged with my hair that I don't even comb it for days and obviously the tangles gets worse...im just tired y'all.

How have you guys maintained your long transition? how did you wear your hair mostly ? what is your nightly routine before bedtime?

would love to hear from you!

Your curly girl lady!
  • ClassysanClassysan Posts: 3Registered Users
    Started nov 2011 give me the strength to keep on transitioning is harder than permed hair but im loving my natural texture even though not finished. Any pointers

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
  • liyahjayliyahjay Posts: 15Registered Users
    My last perm was February 2011. Was a little scared at first to transition, but I stopped thinking about it so much and just did it. No regrets yet!!! I've had Senegalese twists, the BC (October 2011), an afro, and now marley twists. My hair has been growing like crazy and more importantly, it's healthy. I will NEVER go back to perms. Should've done this a lot sooner
    :afro:
    Hair type: 4b/4c
    Last perm: February 2011
    Big Chop: October 2011
    Reason for Transition: 1. perm chemicals are my hair's arch nemesis 2. desire to restore health and growth
  • AmathiasAmathias Posts: 28Registered Users
    I don't consider myself a "super" long transitioned but I am long time. I transitioned for a little over 2 years and cut off my relaxed ends actually on June 1st I believe, so now I'm all natural YAY! I did my own "BC" not really BC because I had a very small amount of relaxed ends left. My hair is armpit length. It was easy, except for my bangs. But yea hello fellow long time transitioners!
  • thisjazzyricanthisjazzyrican Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm 15 months in and I love it. At times I get so excited when I see my curls that I want to do my BC but at the same time I am so scared of the shrinkage. I want to go to a salon to get my hair cut but its hard finding one that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I think I am just going to get my hair trimmed every few months until the permed ends are gone. Besides I love my big messy bun :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file