L-Methionine Deficiency can cause dry brittle hair

CeladonCeladon Registered Users Posts: 26
I came across info that lack of the nutrient Methionine can cause dry brittle hair and nails. Researching it I found that the foods that are high in Methionine are things that I would eat on and off. I was already taking Biotin at the advice of my dermatologist, and now I'm testing taking B-6 and eating more foods rich in Methionine for stronger hair; here is some info from the web, fyi:

High levels of methionine can be found in sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, fish, meats and some other plant seeds; methionine is also found in cereal grains. Most fruits and vegetables contain very little of it. Most legumes are also low in methionine. The complement of cereal (methionine) and legumes (lysine), providing a complete protein,[9] is a classic combination, found throughout the world, such as in rice and beans or tortilla and beans.
Trichothiodystrophy and fragile hair: the distinction between diagnostic signs and diagnostic labels in childhood hair disease - Cheng - 2009 - British Journal of Dermatology - Wiley Online Library

Methionine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Vitamin B and Hair Connection
The B complex vitamins are indeed very important for the health and growth of your hair, particularly vitamins B3, B5, and biotin.
· Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)- Needed for health and growth of your hair.
· Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) - Needed for health and growth of your hair. A deficiency may lead to possibly hair loss.
· Vitamin B3 (Niacin) - Needed for health and growth of your hair. Promotes scalp circulation.
· Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)- Needed for health and growth of your hair. Helpful in preventing hair loss, dandruff, and gray hair.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps maintain hair health. Vitamin C also aids in improving scalp circulation.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that enhances scalp circulation. Vitamin E also improves health and growth of hair.
Inositol is vital for hair growth. A deficiency can lead to possibly hair loss.
L-Methionine is a sulfur-bearing essential amino acid that helps prevent brittle hair. It is necessary for hair and muscle production.
Iodine is a trace mineral that helps to regulate thyroid hormone production. The condition of hair is dependent upon a well functioning thyroid gland, thus preventing dry hair and hair loss.
Beta Carotene works with the B vitamins to keep hair shiny.
PABA (Para-aminobenzoic acid) is a co-enzyme necessary for healthy skin and hair pigmentation. PABA may restore gray hair to its original color if the graying was caused by a nutritional deficiency or stress. In addition, it may prevent hair loss.
MSM helps to nourish hair, thus promoting thicker and shinier hair.
Omega 3 fish oil – Essential fatty acids are known for their ability to improve hair and nail health. It helps to improve lustre and prevents dry, brittle hair, as well as many other powerful healthful benefits.

· Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) - Needed for health and growth of your hair. Deficiency can lead to possibly hair loss.
· Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) - Needed for health and growth of your hair.
· Biotin - Very important for health and growth of your hair. A deficiency can lead to possibly hair loss. Unfortunately, biotin will not prevent general hair loss. However, it can help restore hair growth in persons whose hair loss is due to nutritional deficiencies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file