Curl on curl hate

JewelCurlsJewelCurls Posts: 191Registered Users
Ok, curlies, let's stop the hate. I will just come out and say it: I like all your curls! From the cutest pixie cut to the wildest fro to the sexiest bedhead waves, you are wonderful!
I was stopped by this highschooler the other day who had a cute little curly bob/fro, and she *****ed me out for tossing my hair over my shoulder as I walked by. She told me that it was like I was telling her she was bald and ugly. I have long hair. Sometimes it gets in my way, and sometimes I do not have a hand free to inoffensively pull it out of where ever it has gotten so that you will not feel bad for having short hair. I was not trying to make her feel bad; I was not even looking at her! I feel sad because maybe other curlies had hated on her before. We have enough issues dealing with all the uninformed out there with straight hair to be turning on each other, people!
You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
Dangerously open to product suggestion
3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
Favs:
Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

Comments

• itsnikkiitsnikki Posts: 14Registered Users
    Aw... I think all curly hair is pretty! I've always wanted curly hair, and have been blessed with a little girl with loose waves/curves! Sound like she was insecure!

Sent from my MID using CurlTalk App
  • alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Posts: 421Registered Users
    I'm thinking she has self hair hatred. What did you say to her? That's really sad...):

And I totally agree. I mean, we should all band together not just as curlies vs straights but as people, especially females. People who don't look like Uma Thurman (or the P90X guy for all you dudes out there) are going to feel bad about themselves, even when they have a unique feature that makes them stand out in a beautiful way. And those that do look like that usually have insecurities of their own.They should focus on the good, and we should all encourage each other to flaunt what we have not dwell on what we don't. Waves, straight, curls, tall, short, curvy, skinny, brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, and all skin colors. (:
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I always feel a 'secret kinship' for ladies with any kind or wave or curl to their hair....
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• WavyTinaWavyTina Posts: 54Registered Users
    I'm thinking she has self hair hatred. What did you say to her? That's really sad...):

And I totally agree. I mean, we should all band together not just as curlies vs straights but as people, especially females. People who don't look like Uma Thurman (or the P90X guy for all you dudes out there) are going to feel bad about themselves, even when they have a unique feature that makes them stand out in a beautiful way. And those that do look like that usually have insecurities of their own.They should focus on the good, and we should all encourage each other to flaunt what we have not dwell on what we don't. Waves, straight, curls, tall, short, curvy, skinny, brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, and all skin colors. (:

alaskantsunami, I just wanted to say... That was beautiful. :crybaby:
    2b waves
    Medium texture, high porosity
    Bronde & shoulder length, trying to grow it past my shoulder blades.
    Went natural on June 4th, 2010
    My hair is hungry for PROTEIN!! :munky2:
  • BugEyeZBugEyeZ Posts: 314Registered Users Curl Novice
    :mrgreen:LOL!! Sorry, but that is seriously funny. Good thing she didn't give you a beat down for flipping your hair. Honestly, some ppl's children...lol :toothy6::laughing6::laughing6:
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know in high school I used to get really pissed at long haired girls who made a habit of flipping their hair in class because those of us who sat behind them would end up with a bunch of hair thrown back in our faces. I always thought those b*tches were extremely rude and inconsiderate.
    Once one of my classmates almost beat up a girl for tossing her hair in her face.
    But if you were just walking by and were nowhere near that girl then that's just weird.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • JewelCurlsJewelCurls Posts: 191Registered Users
    I was not up close to anyone that I recall... I have gotten my own hair in the face enough to know it is not fun lol! Just please don't take the length of my hair as a personal insult. That's all I mean to say... That's what this young woman was doing. She didn't tell me I hit her, just that she thought it was very self-centered of me to flip my hair out of my way, in essence. That is why I am encouraging more curl love... not so people can be inconsiderate with their hair, but so that people will appreciate curls of all lengths and textures.

I wanted to tell her that her hair was lovely (which it was) but I was concerned that it would sound patronizing, especially since she was younger than me, so I said that I was sorry that she felt that way since the length of my hair had nothing to do with her, and went on my way.
    You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
    Dangerously open to product suggestion
    3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
    Favs:
    Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
    Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
    Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

• lovely_eirenelovely_eirene Posts: 48Registered Users
    She told me that it was like I was telling her she was bald and ugly.

It was her telling herself that she felt bald and ugly, simple as that.

She was a highschool kid. She was pretty young, not too far into her journey of self-acceptance (whether it's accepting her curly hair or whatever else) that the rest of us are also on. She'll get there eventually, and when she does, she'll realise how ridiculous her behaviour was.

So actually it wasn't much to do with you flipping your hair or whatever, but everything to do with her ;)
    Fine 3c type, loves protein. BS length when straight, aiming for BS length when curly!
  • beautimusprimebeautimusprime Posts: 22Registered Users
    wow, its amazing that some people think this way..i agree with the OP..curlies and all women need to stop the hate on each other, its ridiculous. Women are so ready to accuse another chick of offending her when its completely blatant she didnt..it amazes me how some females are..so ready to believe that someones insulting them or looking down on them..ugh.
    in the pursuit of hair happiness :color:
    3B/3C

Weekly Shampoo:: CHI (Sulfate & Paraben Free one)
    Leave In:: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Random Styling ::: KCCC / Coconut Oil / LA Looks Sport, Denman, Diffuser (LSLH) & Lots and lots of MetaGrip bobby's!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file