CurlTalk

is there a mousse/gel out there with uv protection in it?

wavybeachbabewavybeachbabe Posts: 12Registered Users
Hello(:
I am a teenager and I have very long, wavy 2b hair. My hair was colored to cover up highlights about 8 months ago. I have decided I am never going to color my hair again(at least until I absolutely have to) and so far my color has held up very well. Since it is summer I love to be outside(: But I get paranoid that the sun is fading my color. Does anyone know of a mousse or gel with UV protection?
Thank you!:D

edit: I just found this product, http://www.garnier.com.au/_en/_au/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTIS_STYLE_WOMEN^STYLE_WOMEN_DISCOVER^STYLE_COLOR

would this work?

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    That link didn't work for me, but this is a very good ingredient to look for: Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride. If used in a conditioner or even a shampoo, it bonds to the hair and absorbs UV, so it doesn't necessarily have to be in a gel or mousse because it doesn't rinse right off.
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    Most hair products that are in clear containers already contain UV protective ingredient(s). They put it in so it doesn't discolor from direct exposure of being in a clear container.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    Chief Software Engineer & Web Developer
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fapps.facebook.com%2FPrincetonBrooke" class="Popup
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    Off the top of my head, gels that i've used with UV protection are:

Biotera firm hold styling gel
    Ecostyler sport (blue)
    Ecostyler Krystal (clear)
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Pulled this from The Curl Whisperer on Summerized Curls | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

So, if you live in an area where the sun's rays are strong, it is definitely not a bad idea to make sure your hair care products include a sunscreen or UV filter. The product ingredients you should look for on the label include:

- Benzophenone-2, ( or 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
    - Benzyl salicylate
    - Benzylidene camphor sulfonic acid
    - Bornelone
    - Ethyl cinnamate
    - Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate (octyl methoxycinnamate)
    - Octoxynol-40, -20
    - Octyl methoxycinnamate
    - Octyl Salicylate
    - Oxybenzone
    - Phenyl ketone
    - PEG-25 PABA
    - Polyacrylamidomethyl benzylidene camphor

IAgirl: Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride

Still looking for hair products (or skin products to use on hair) with sunscreen and that don't have insoluble silicones, mineral oil, or castor oil - this means the product will have to be re-applied after swimming.

So far I've come up with:
    L'oreal uv spray
    Neutrogena - Oil-Free Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Natural Color Retention Kit : Original Sprout, Baby Hair Care and Skin Care Products for Children
    Pure & Basic - Products - Hair Care - Conditioner - Reconstructing Coconut
    BRHG Amazon.com: Biosilk Rock Hard Gel, 6-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2): Beauty
    Buy PHYTO PLAGE Protective Beach Spray Online at drugstore.com

[/FONT]There are lots of sunscreen hair product with cones - Redken, Fekkai, L'oreal, Mane & Tail, Tigi, Terax, etc. You can also use diluted waterproof sunscreen in your hair to protect it, but you'll have to remove it later with shampoo (some say some lowpoos will do).[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • dabadckgrldabadckgrl Posts: 36Registered Users
    Condition 3 in 1 maximum hold mousse has sun screen.
    Colored & Highlighted, trying to cover the gray, 2c curls past my shoulders. Shea Moisture Thickening Shampoo, Leave in Kinky Curly Knot, Next day curl refresher spray: kinky curly curling custard mixed with distilled water and Jojoba oil. Pomade Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade. Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz.