We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Favorite protein products?

solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
What protein products work the best for you?

My all-time favorites, ones that I repurchase, are:

Kiehl's Amino Acid shampoo and conditioner - they are expensive but they work really well perking up my hair. The shampoo is not as cleansing as I would like, so I alternate it with other low poos and shampoos.

Tigi Moisture Maniac conditioner (soon to be discontinued) - this stuff makes my hair feel thicker and fuller after using it. It's a lightweight conditioner with a lot of power!

Sally's Neutral Protein Filler - I put this liquid directly into a spray bottle and spray it on damp hair before styling out of the shower. Sometimes I'll spray it on damp hair as a refresher. It's inexpensive, smells good, and feels good on my hair.

IAgirl's Protein Treatment - this stuff really revitalizes my hair when it gets limp. For me, the ACV covers up the smell of the gelatin.

I'd love to find a high-protein styler (I should try IAgirl's protein FSG). Those are my favorites--what are yours?
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    This is a good, protein-y conditioner for folks who don't get weighed down by rich conditioners: Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment Conditioner. It has protein, a UV absorber to protect color, all water-soluble cones and moisturizers: Water (Aqua); Cetyl Alcohol; Behentrimonium Methosulfate; Isododecane; Isohexadecane; Cetearyl Alcohol; Stearyl Alcohol; Hydrolyzed Soy Protein; Stearalkonium Chloride; Ceteareth-20; Panthenol; Glycerin; Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit; Tocopheryl Acetate; Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone/Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger)/PEG-12 Dimethicone; Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone/Algae/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf/Anthemis Nobilis/Lawsonia Inermis (Henna)/Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba)/Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary)/PEG-12 Dimethicone; Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride; Fragrance (Parfum); DMDM Hydantoin; Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate
    Works well as a leave-in.
  • techmomtechmom Posts: 300Registered Users
    +1 on the IAgirl's protein treatment. Just did one today and I hope it's not too vain to say...I love my hair today. (wow! that really brought out the poet in me -lol)
    2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
    RO TN Moisturizing .
    Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
    Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
    Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdesigndedication.com" class="Popup

saved by grace, walking by faith
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm loving Elucence's Extended Moisture Repair Treatment. Good stuff.

I liked John Master's Honey & Hibiscus Reconstructor. It was a bit pricey though so I may only repurchase in times of financial plenty.

It looks like the Nature's Gate line has more protein than in the past. I'm going to pick up a bottle or two because I did like this conditioner.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I'm adoring the SS protein spray, and finishing up my SS RPT bottle. I've gotten all the stuff to make IAGirl's homemade PT recipe, which I'm hoping I'll love.

My favorite protein stylers are Ecostyler and LALSG.

I'm still looking for a good protein condish that's also moisturizing after Loreal's Vive Pro for curly hair was discontinued, so I'll be watching this thread.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Posts: 228Registered Users
    I like SS protein spray for a daily boost of protein. Lamas soy hydrating condish is another favorite, it isn't a heavy protein treatment but makes my hair feel soft and silky.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
    Mane & Tail Condish and Protein Spray
    Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor

Also I just added silk amino acids to my non-protein containing Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine condish.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    Absolutely loving CJ BSC. I may be wrong but I think protein is actually pretty far down on the list (keratin) but this conditioner does wonders for my hair! It must be just the right amount along with being the right kind of protein since my hair can be a little picky.

I also find that conditioner to be pretty moisturizing considering it has protein. Love it!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    solidgold wrote: »

Sally's Neutral Protein Filler - I put this liquid directly into a spray bottle and spray it on damp hair before styling out of the shower. Sometimes I'll spray it on damp hair as a refresher. It's inexpensive, smells good, and feels good on my hair.

So you don't dilute it? I used this for the first time when I dyed my hair last time. But I followed the directions on the bottle.
    How long does it last in a spray bottle?

I'm going to add some to my next batch of FSG.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    How long does it last in terms of freshness/spoiling? I haven't had a problem in the months I've been using it.

How long does each bottle last in terms of usage? I think the 2 oz bottle lasted me 3 or 4 months, and I just bought the 4 oz bottle last month and I imagine it will last 6 months or so.

I don't dilute--I spray it directly on my hair.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • curlyberrycurlyberry Posts: 549Registered Users
    Aubrey Organic's GPB Protein Balancing Conditioner - This stuff is the best. It's a light protein and moisturizing conditioner, but it stops my breakage in its tracks quicker than anything I've ever used.

Aphogee's 2-Minute Reconstructor - This one i good too, but not as good as AOGPB.
    Type 4, fine/high density, high porosity
    Last Relaxer - March '11
    BC - August '11

Fall/Winter PRODUCTS

Clarifier - Paul Mitchell Three Low-poos - BoBeam Conditioners - TJ Nourish Spa, CJRM!, Co-Wash - N/A, Leave-Ins - N/A, Moisturizers - Afroveda Coco Latte, QBCTDG, CR Moisture Butter, Sealants/Stylers - Any BASK butters and creams, Jane Carter N&S, QBATB
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    CJ Repair Me

Strong dose of protein & leaves hair soft and moisturized...smells good too.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CJ Repair Me

+1 This replaces Nexxus Emergencee for me because I don't have to do a separate deep treatment afterward. Highly recommend this stuff!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Wavy_Girl1116Wavy_Girl1116 Posts: 209Registered Users
    CJ Repair Me

I want to try this!!!!!
    Type- 2a
    Texture- Fine
    Porosity- Normal
    Elastisity- Normal
    Density- Medium

CO- Vo5 kiwi lime squeeze, various sauve conditioners, loreal evercurl cleansing co.
    Style- beautiful curls wave enhancing leave-in, pure and clean gel, Shea moisture smoothie
    Techniques- plopping
    CG since- Jan. 15th 2013
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    L'anza Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Joico K-pak Reconstructor (the mineral oil doesn't bother my hair, I just rinse very well) and K-pak Intense Hydrator
    PM Super Strong Treatment
    Joico Joigel Medium (and Firm)
    Joico Curl Definer Creme
    L'anza Leave-in Conditioner
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • naturalbeauty89naturalbeauty89 Posts: 22Registered Users
    CJ and AO sounds pretty good.....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlTalk App
  • naturalbeauty89naturalbeauty89 Posts: 22Registered Users
    I alson heard tigi is a really good line. I'm going to stock up before it goes away.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlTalk App
  • FluffyZGigglerFluffyZGiggler Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm loving Cristophe Professional Leave-In Conditioning Spray. It's got a good amount of protein, no 'cones, and I can find it in the drug stores (a definite must for me, plus it's on sale at CVS right now). I spray some on before my leave-in and as a nice refresher for 2nd Day Hair.
    3c/4a Med-Low Porosity, Protein Friendly
    Poo: Neutragina T-Gel (yay seborrheic dermatitis!)
    Cond: Whole Foods 365 Cond - Lavender
    Leave-In: Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin, MC Leave-In
    Styler: Girls With Curls Curl Defining Cream, FSG
    Seal: Jojoba, Coconut (don't recommend), Vitamin-E, Avocado, Apricot
  • artbabeartbabe Posts: 29Registered Users
    Nexxus Emergencee has been my favorite for several years, I'll have to look into Repair Me though.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    IAgirl gelatin PT is the number 1 in my list! I love how you can tweak it and make it a heavy duty treatment, or add more moisturizers and use it a light PT.
    Ion Effective Care. I use this at least once a week.
    LALSG and Ecostyler, both really pump up clumps and wave in my hair.
    Protein FSG - I have been using silk amino acids, but bought the neutral protein filler to try in it, as well as use it for a protein spray!
    Colorful protein color filler, really helps prevent fading with red hair colors and works very well at refreshing the color in between colorings.
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Curl Junkie Repair Me! - the best.
    Aubrey GPB - good mix of protein and moisture, makes a great DC
    Natures Gate Biotin - a surprise find, has enough protein to stop breakage.. which says alot for my hair, I use it as an "emergency cowash" & it does the trick!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like Giovanni Root 66 - Directional Root Lifting Spray. It didn't work so well as a root lifter, but it's a great for an all over protein boost. It has a water soluble cone in it.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    CJ Repair Me

I must add CJ Beaticurls Strengthening Conditioner. I've been using this for the last month as a rinse out and my hair just loves this. I don't have to use alot and it detangles beautifully...leaves my hair soft and smoothe but not weighed down. Keratin is definately my hair's favorite protein and Curl Junkie ain't nothin but da bomb!
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Posts: 154Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlyberry wrote: »
    Aubrey Organic's GPB Protein Balancing Conditioner - This stuff is the best. It's a light protein and moisturizing conditioner, but it stops my breakage in its tracks quicker than anything I've ever used.

Aphogee's 2-Minute Reconstructor - This one i good too, but not as good as AOGPB.

Dont know if Im the only one, but my protein loving hair,snaps right off, when using the AO GPB condish. I love Megatek(or ovation) cell therapy KMS recontructorput silk aminos in my FSG, and LOVE john masters orange and silk protein gel. giovannias 50/50, and direct leave in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tried yogurt for the first time and I really like it. I kept hearing about it but seeing Naptural85's video really sold me.

DIY Natural Shine & Moisturizing Deep treatment
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    Quidad Botanical Boost. Loaded with protein (a few different proteins) and moisture. I could use it instead of conditioner for my fine waves. A great quick shot of protein, good for SOTC-ing or detangling or as a leave-in, no cones or heavy stuff and doesn't make me itch!
    I have a sample bottle. The scent is light. It's not cheap, but I think the big bottle would last a very long time.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,677Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sally's GVP Joico K-Pak is a staple for me for DTs. I liked the Joico stuff, but love saving $ more.

Love the Aubrey GPB conditioner! I get mine at Whole Foods because they have 2 different scents supposedly sold only at WF. I don't like the scent of the regular GPB; reminds me of athlete's foot cream.

I swapped for CJ Repair Me, but have not yet tried it. Sounds like it's a real treat!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    I'm loving Cristophe Professional Leave-In Conditioning Spray. It's got a good amount of protein, no 'cones, and I can find it in the drug stores (a definite must for me, plus it's on sale at CVS right now). I spray some on before my leave-in and as a nice refresher for 2nd Day Hair.
    I'll be looking for this! Thanks

Any other gel/stylers without glycerin that you nice folks can recommend? :)
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • JnthmomJnthmom Posts: 20Registered Users
    iHerb.com has AO GPB in scents, like whole foods does. Coupon codes for $5 off are all over the forums, free shipping over $20 and their prices are great too.
    2b, fine; 2cFi
  • wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    Jnthmom wrote: »
    iHerb.com has AO GPB in scents, like whole foods does. Coupon codes for $5 off are all over the forums, free shipping over $20 and their prices are great too.
    I currently use this it's in my siggie :) There definitely is no shortage of conditioners with protein. I was hoping to find some more gels/stylers that contain protein as this Winter my hair can't seem to get enough.
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file