Help for 3a Beginner

Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to this website, but have been following the CG method for about a month now. My curls are alright, but no where near the beautiful ones I see all over this site. My question to you is if you see anything that I can change that might help me....

Low Poo: AG Extra Moisturizing Shampoo
CW: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Shampoo
Conditioner: AG Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
Rinse Out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Extras: Re:coil

I still find that my curls are a bit dry, and are not scrunching nicely at all.

I got my hair cut short at a curly hair salon about 3 months ago, but I am growing it out (its just a little past my shoulders now) and I cannot get it to curl at the top and the rest of the curls are a bit subpar.

I am at a lost, please, any advice would be very appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Just wanted to welcome you to NaturallyCurly.

I moved your thread over here where you'll probably get some great advice!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • PhoenixLiz17PhoenixLiz17 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Oh, thank you very much!

I was having trouble finding the right place to submit my question. :)
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    This might be the reason your hair is dry....your shampoo....

water/aqua/eau,ammmonium laurethsulfate,cocamidopropyl betaine,sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate,sodium laureth sulfate,polyquaternium-47,lauryl pyrrolidone,salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract,chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract,rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract,melissa officinals leaf extract,archillea millefolium extract,prunus serotina (wild cherry) bark extract,cymbopogon schoenanthus extract,calendula officinalis officinalis flower extract,hydroxy-propylitrimonium honey,sodium PCA hydrolized oats,acetamide MEA,panthenol,hydrolized soy protein,hyaluronic acid,linoleic acid,linolenic acid,sorbitol,triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil,simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,tocopherol,sulfur,silk amino acids,cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolized keratin,acrylates/PEG-10 maleate/strene copolymer,tetrasodium EDTA,citric acid, ethlhexyl methoxycinnamate,parfum/fragrance, methylchloroisothiazolinone,methylisothiazolinone, red 40 (CI16035)

The two highlighted are very harsh sulfates which will dry your hair out. Around here we advocate either cutting out shampoo completely from our routine and replacing it with conditioner washing or "Co-Wash" or finding a "sulfate free" shampoo. There are tons of it. Hope that helps you a little. :thumbup:
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    To get your crown hair to curl, always finger comb your wet hair with styling product upside-down. This lines up the hair shafts so they start forming curls right near the root, at a right angle to your scalp, thus having a lifted effect.

Good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file