The tighter your curls, the "worse" they are?

littlemonster8littlemonster8 Posts: 7Registered Users
I have a neighbour, a little boy with blonde corkscrew curls. Mine are a little looser. When I said to my mom that he had hair like me, she said "No, his is much worse." I called her out on it. People's language needs to change.

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought blonde corkscrew curls were the ideal! I'll betcha that as that little boy gets bigger, people are going to ooh and ahh over his head of hair.

People are so........challenged by curly hair.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I've heard this many times before. Shame.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Posts: 295Registered Users
    This goes along the same lines as "Good Hair"
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've heard the same phrasing in similar contexts, it doesn't bother me. I guess I've learned to interpret what is meant, I don't think its meant as an insult, personally. I think in context, it's just meant that the curl pattern is tighter.

Sometimes an insult isn't meant, its just carelessness. I do understand what you mean though about language needing to change. It'd be nice if people's language would change, but to be honest - I know I'm not always careful 100% of the time when I speak and can be careless in using language. That's human nature, I think. I can refer to something as "worse" when worse is not what I mean exactly.
    Can you (not meaning to point fingers, just meaning a general "you") honestly say that you're never careless in your speech? Not about curls, about anything? I think a little tolerance goes a long way.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • curlsr2funcurlsr2fun Banned Posts: 269Banned Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I thought blonde corkscrew curls were the ideal! I'll betcha that as that little boy gets bigger, people are going to ooh and ahh over his head of hair.

People are so........challenged by curly hair.

I don't consider blonde corkscrew curls ideal. If i had blonde ringlets I'd look like a clown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3c Hair

Currently using: Kinky Curly Knot today leave-in and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
  • curlsr2funcurlsr2fun Banned Posts: 269Banned Users
    CurlyHaze wrote: »

White people are into that good hair bad hair stuff too? :geek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3c Hair

Currently using: Kinky Curly Knot today leave-in and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
  • rolltidegalrolltidegal Posts: 307Registered Users
    curlsr2fun wrote: »

As a white girl 3c who's been the recipient of many "bad hair" comments, I can confidently say that yes, we are.
    Roll Tide!
    I was at the 2009 and 2011 BCS National Championship Games :)

Medium-coarse, super high density, normal porosity, low elasticity.
    I'm currently trying out various Curl Junkie and Devacurl products.

Fotki: fotki.com/rolltidegal
    password is 'rolltide'
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users

Really?
    It's only a racial thing if you make it that. It's a CURLY vs. STRAIGHT HAIR thing.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LISA LISA wrote: »

Really?
    It's only a racial thing if you make it that. It's a CURLY vs. STRAIGHT HAIR thing.

I had tightly curled hair and I've had so many straight haired people come up to me lately, friends and complete strangers, and say they love my hair and they wish their hair would do that. Blows my mind because I usually think of curlies envying straighties.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • AfrotasticAfrotastic Posts: 37Registered Users

Really?

I would like to try to defend curlsr2fun's comment. She wasn't trying to make the "good hair, bad hair" thing a racial thing. It's just that in the black community, thats exactly what it is; a racial thing.

"good hair" in the black community is seen as curly, silky, and shiny. It's often refered to as "white people hair" and usually sported by biracial children. "bad hair" in the black community is ironically what most black people are born with: kinky or kinky-curly hair. Most black people don't have straight hair. Everyone has texture, but people with more "white-like" hair have the best hair.
    So to most black people (espically young girls) any type of "white people hair" is desireable (even curly hair that may seem undesireable to most white people). Thats why curlsr2fun posted her comment.

To be honest, I didn't even know that white people had the whole "hair hate" thing going on until I came to naturally curly. I thought it was just black people.

And also, I don't think its really a curly vs. straight hair thing. Its more about accepting how you were made and teaching others to accept it too, curly or straight.
  • laticka7laticka7 Posts: 198Registered Users

Really?

Not really racial most white people call our hair nappy untamable wild and most black people wish they had our hair and think they can do so much more to it and will fry it up as soon as they have it with there heating crap
  • laticka7laticka7 Posts: 198Registered Users
    There are multiple types of hair not white hair black hair mixed hair Chinese hair it's hair with curl or without hair with silk texture or dry hair
  • favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Posts: 287Registered Users
    laticka7 wrote: »

Really?

Not really racial most white people call our hair nappy untamable wild and most black people wish they had our hair and think they can do so much more to it and will fry it up as soon as they have it with there heating crap

It is racial in the "black community". The straighter your hair is the "better" it is. And actually, I don't wish i had "white people's hair". (Whatever that means) I actually adore my hair. :) And most white people AND some black people have complimented my hair. But since you are a troll, I'm gonna let that simmer a little. :D
  • FluffyZGigglerFluffyZGiggler Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm mixed, so I get hate from black people who are jealous of my hair. Then again, at the same time I have hate for my own hair for the dumbest reason ever: I will NEVER be able to run my fingers through my hair without straightening it. I play with my hair A LOT, so not being able to run my fingers through it drives me CRAZY.
    3c/4a Med-Low Porosity, Protein Friendly
    Poo: Neutragina T-Gel (yay seborrheic dermatitis!)
    Cond: Whole Foods 365 Cond - Lavender
    Leave-In: Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin, MC Leave-In
    Styler: Girls With Curls Curl Defining Cream, FSG
    Seal: Jojoba, Coconut (don't recommend), Vitamin-E, Avocado, Apricot

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file