CurlTalk

Needing moisture and repair

famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
My oldest daughter and I have low porosity hair. Once we get moisture in, it's locked for a while, but it seems this summer our hair is so dry. I ran out of Shea a few weeks back an Im thinking that is affecting our hair. We've also been swimming this summer. I'm thinking of doing a protein treatment in her hair, but I'm protein sensitive, my hair turns to straw when I use protein in the smallest doses and I'm scared she will have the same challenge.

When she swims, which is almost everyday, I spray it with a homemade cond with infusion, coconut oil, actor oil, jojoba oil, neem oil, alma oil, and honey. Then I put on a swim cap. But the hair is breaking on the edges and is SUPER DRY. Any advice?
Me: 3c, very thick
BC- May 2010
Current routine:
pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
Styling: HETT and castor oil
DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection

Comments

• bribrik10bribrik10 Posts: 203Registered Users
    Too much protein for low porosity I think is bad I'm not sure but u might need a swimmers shampoo unless that recipe gets out chlorine
    3a CG
    Cleanser: shea moisture's african black soap cleanser or moisture retention shampoo
    Conditioner: tresemme naturals, shea moisture restorative conditioner
    Syler: shea moisture's curl soufflé and smoothie.
    :angel8:
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    I am not a swimmer but I do remember reading a thread that suggested wetting the hair and using a LI before getting in the pool. Since her hair only holds so much moisture it will not absorb as much of the pool water. If I can remember the thread, I will post the link.

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
    Can't beleive I'm just getting out here to see this! Thank you ladies. I did the wetting and conditioning prior to her swimming and used a swim cap. It worked great! I'm so glad to have found this forum.
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    bribrik10 wrote: »
    Too much protein for low porosity I think is bad I'm not sure but u might need a swimmers shampoo unless that recipe gets out chlorine

My hair is low porosity and LOVES protein, so that's not it.

famus_darling, glad you've found something to work. When she's out of the pool and removes the bathing cap--the warmth of the sun may help her hair absorb more of the conditioner you're using. You probably want to check and possibly add more.

I'd also find products with a chelating agent (such as EDTA) that you can use to remove any minerals. I use the CJ Daily Fix every few weeks for that.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]