Using heat on transitioning hair?

hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
I'm 10 weeks post relaxer and I have been heat styling my hair for the past 2 weeks. I heat style every 5 days or so which I know is bad. But my hair gets oily after 5-6 days. I'm wondering if I should cut out heat styling all together until I'm ready to BC or go back to heat styling twice a month?
Products I'm currently :love10::
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    When I was transitioning I only used the blow dryer and flat iron twice a month and didn't do any touch ups in between. If it became too crazy, I'd just wash my hair and do a protective/transitioning style (my go to was a twist out) and then leave my hair alone.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    When I was transitioning I only used the blow dryer and flat iron twice a month and didn't do any touch ups in between. If it became too crazy, I'd just wash my hair and do a protective/transitioning style (my go to was a twist out) and then leave my hair alone.

Thanks. I'm going to air dry for the rest of the summer. Im going heat style one more time for the summer before I go away on vaca. I'm going back to my buns and braid outa
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • FabledBeautyFabledBeauty Posts: 145Registered Users
    Im going to tell you something I just discovered and absolutely fell in love.. I bought this curlers called curlformers... and when I took them out my hair looked like it was curled with heat even though I airdried over night.. the only problem is I live in DC and humidity is out of control in the summer so my hair poofed a bit but I also didnt put any product in it since it was a test run, since then Ive used different products and each time the results are better BUT the moral of the story is its definitely an option if you have the patience to make it work for you... I got ALOT of compliments.. and people didnt know I was natural.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Getting there slowly but surely!

Natural Since the Beginning of January 2011!:headbang:
    Current: Full Collar Bone
    Texture: 3B/C & 4A
    Goal: APL by New Years 2013 :afro:

See my Natural Journey on Fotki: www.fotki.com/fabledbeauty

Current Favs<3 Taaliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Vegetable Glycerin and Pure Argan Oil!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file