We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What did you make this week?

missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
Since I'm mixing something up in the kitchen at least once a week and I know there are others. Why not have a thread for it? Recipes are up to you. Maybe you'll inspire somebody! :mrgreen:
Southern Colorado Curly
Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair

Comments

• missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    Trying another flax cream. Using my usual FSG and BTMS this time.
    Southern Colorado Curly
  • CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    That's funny you mentioned the FSG with BTMS, I was just playing around with a formula myself for something like that. I'll probably try it this weekend.

Sat I made a few batches of CP soap and today I made up a batch each of my solid shampoo and solid conditioner. Tomorrow will be soap again.

Since I sell at my local Farmer's Market on Sun, I try to make something after work at least 3 days a week after my day job.;-)
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I have been working on a quasi curl fuel recipe.
    My first recipe was fantastic for curl enhancement, but was sticky. I am thinking maybe boiling the mag sulfate and agave with the water for a minute to help it really dissolve might help this.
    My recipe was
    1/2 c distilled water
    1/4 c AVG
    1/2 tsp agave
    1/2 tsp silk amino acid
    1 tsp mag sulfate
    1 tsp veg glycerin
    1-2 tbsp condish
    and a crap ton of FO to cover the antiseptic smell of the AVG. (LOTD)
    I may also scrap the AVG in favor of aloe juice. Which is what the curl fuel uses. I just used AVG cause that's what I had. Plus, until my husband finishes up that ginormous jar of pickles in my fridge, I have no where to store some aloe juice! LOL
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    I mixed castor and jojoba oils last night for an oil treatment. Left it in for about an hour and BAM awesome hair! I love oils more and more every time I try them :)
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Made a shea butter/amla oil/grapeseed oil sealant mix. I think the amla oil is giving me zits though, and not in good places -- behind my ears, for one! :silent:

I'm going to redo the mix with just grapeseed oil.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
    Great idea for a post!

By he way, can someone explain the benefits of BTMS to me? Is there a process for using it? I know it does not come in liquid, right?

This week I made a pre poo conditioner for my daughter.

Avacado
    Coconut butter
    Coconut milk
    Olive oil
    Liquid amino
    Yogurt
    Banana, apple, and carrot baby food

I have tons left so I'll use it for about a week; for my hair and my baby girl's hair.
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection
  • ShondadiniShondadini Posts: 205Registered Users
    Well today I whipped up some whipped Shea butter lol. I took about 8oz of Shea butter, about 3/4cup of evoo, and some orange essential oil. It's really creamy!
    Famus, it's a wicked good conditioning agent. I don't know specifics but a lot of curlies love it.
    Some info:
    Lotioncrafter BTMS - Lotioncrafter LLC
    Conditioners Containing Behentrimonium Methosulfate | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

My recipe last night didn't turn out as planned. My original FSG with BTMS didn't have enough BTMS so back to the drawing board. I decided to make it from scratch instead of doing a test sample with 1 3oz tube of FSG. I get the Flax extract done, the herbal extract done, mix them together, get the BTMS in and finally to the right temp.....
    Power goes out at 7:40pm :cussing:
    I'm sure it was due to the fire and they wanted to cut power to those affected and went into overkill. At 8:40p I finally went to bed, late. The power comes on at 10:12p and the electric company calls to let me know at 10:45p, uhhh thanks. :angry3:

So this morning I reheated it and blended it up. We'll see if it's shot when I get home.
    Southern Colorado Curly
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    I love the BTMS idea. Too heavy for me except in teeny tiny bits!

I tried adding polyquat-4 to protein-ed FSG. The first use was WOW, the second and third were less wow, so probably causing build-up.
    Today I added acrylates copolymer to FSG. I think I may like this better.

Last night I used a mix of hops, horsetail, chamomile, and nettles in a PT and it is always a really nice herbal mix for adding body!

Great idea for a thread, Missbanjo. I'll be back to see what creative things you all are up to!
  • CurlyCoilyMeCurlyCoilyMe Posts: 130Registered Users
    Deep conditioner of banana, avocado, coconut milk and olive oil.
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    I created what might be an awesome styling cream!

3 oz. Garner Fructis Fortifying Cream
    1 tsp unflavored unsweetened gelatin. (I used Knox)
    4 oz hot water.

Blend thoroughly. I saw a few lumps and took out my hand blender and it worked great. I let the mixture cool a bit and poured it into an appropriate 8 oz. bottle.

Used it once so far, and results are quite nice and lasting!! I'm excited to use it more and see if it stands up to the test of time.

Anyone here try using gelatin?
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Posts: 103Registered Users
    Made a batch of good old FSG, then made a batch of okra gel blended them together! Its kinda a slimy snotty mixture! Only tryed it once so far but the shine is unbelievable !!!

would the abbreviation be FSOG lol
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
    thecurly1 wrote: »
    would the abbreviation be FSOG lol

Lol, why not? I was going to make some cleansing condish and leave-in but my back had other ideas Tues. morning so I didn't get squat done.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    My cleansing condish was pretty good but a little too waxy so I'm shelving that recipe for a little bit, it had soapwort extract in it for cleansing properties. It's all gone now and worked very very well. I decided to try soapwort extract and lemongrass extract in Tresemme Naturals Nourishing condish.
    1 cup water
    1 Tbsp dried soapwort root
    1 Tbsp dried lemongrass
    1/2 cup condish
    1/4 cup extract blend

We'll see how I like it and I'm eyeballing the SheaM African Black Soap condish now...:laughing6:
    Southern Colorado Curly
  • madametjmadametj Posts: 119Registered Users
    What is BTMS? Didn't see it on the acronym cheat sheet. :confused5:
    Hair Type: 3b/3c (I think! lol)

Quit using heat 9 months ago :)
    Behentrimonium Methosulfate

I also cooked up some okra mudd this week. Used it once so far so not sure on it yet. I started from Kathymack's recipe of
    1/2 cup okra (used frozen)
    1 cup water
    1 teas marshmallow

I kept adding 1 cup water & boiling after straining until I made 3 cups. Then added:

1 Tbsp magnesium chloride
    1 1000mg tablet vitamin E
    1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
    2 1 4 tsp Optiphen preservative
    6 drops lavendar EO
    6 drops rosemary EO
    2 tsp xanthan gum

I wasn't going to add the EOs but it really did have the okra stench before I added them.
    Southern Colorado Curly
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,979Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hey everyone! Since you're all recipe-crafters, I wanted to ask you to please share your fantastic curly hair recipes with all the other NaturallyCurly visitors in our new recipes section! Lisa Price from Carol's Daughter is sponsoring it and we've got amazing curly hair recipes for all hair types!

Check it out and add your recipes, please!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    i made a mix of aleo vera gel honey tea tree and a bit argan oil, left it in my hair for an hour. i was just playing round with it, and its the first time ive done somthing like that so im still figuring out wat my hair likes. i found that it was really good at untangling and when i washed it out i was left with a really clean scalp but my hair wasnt really softer or smoother or shinyer......

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    I made flax seed gel for the first time, just 2 cups water 1/4 cup flax seed added a little castor oil and lavender eo. i really want to find vitamin e oil to put in next time but im not sure what to buy or where yet
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    A curly on a post I came across somewhere on nc.com said how much she liked using a DT of honey, olive oil, and OneC, but she didn't list amounts for each ingredient, so yesterday I tried out the following:

1T honey
    1T olive oil
    1T OneC

Pretty basic and easy to remember, plus it was just the right amount to cover all of my hair, and it had a nice consistency and smelled sweet (Thank you, honey). Best of all, it worked really well as a DT, so I'll definitely be using this mix again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • ajgrneyesajgrneyes Posts: 103Registered Users
    Devushka wrote: »
    A curly on a post I came across somewhere on nc.com said how much she liked using a DT of honey, olive oil, and OneC, but she didn't list amounts for each ingredient, so yesterday I tried out the following:

1T honey
    1T olive oil
    1T OneC

Pretty basic and easy to remember, plus it was just the right amount to cover all of my hair, and it had a nice consistency and smelled sweet (Thank you, honey). Best of all, it worked really well as a DT, so I'll definitely be using this mix again.

What is OneC ?
    sulfate, silicone and protein free since 6/11
    porosity - normal to low
    elasticity - normal

love my curls :love4:
    HGs:
    FSG
    Henna
    My own butter mixture
    My own version of Terressentials mud wash
    I believe Deva One Condition
    Southern Colorado Curly
    FSG
    ---
    Rinse out conditioner:
    4oz Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus
    4oz Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Condish
    1 Tbsp jojoba oil
    2 Tbsp apricot kernel oil
    1 Tbsp EV coconut oil
    1 Tbsp jojoba protein
    1 Tbsp honey
    1 Tbsp avocado oil
    ---
    IAgirl's FSC:
    1/4 cup Lustrasilk mix above
    1/2 cup FSG
    1/4 cup Mirra sculpting gel

It was clumpy so I heated it up and then used the hand blender on it. Had to add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum.
    Southern Colorado Curly
  • kinkyfloridakinkyflorida Posts: 2Registered Users
    Where do I find the cheat sheet for the abbreviations I'm seeing newly natural and I love to mix and make concotions for my hair I'm 4a and need lots of moister

Sent from my ADR6400L using CurlTalk App
  • maryeismaryeis Posts: 43Registered Users
    Kinkyflorida, Go back to CurlTalk Link, then to Newbies then it's in a "sticky" thread under that.
    3A,fine texture,medium thickness,below shoulder length for the 1st time in 30 yrs! colored dark blonde to hide gray.
  • NaturallyLovelyNaturallyLovely Posts: 12Registered Users
    Flaxseed Gel:
    3 cups of distilled water
    1/2 cup of whole organic flaxseed (RedMill) nourishing/rich in Omega-3
    3 Tbs of Marshmallow Root (Celebration Organic Herb Bulk Tea) conditioning/adds more slip

After FSG cooled: Mixed in...
    2 Tbs of Aloe Vera Gel (LOTD) ph balance 5.5
    3 drops of Peppermint EO (NOW) scent/stimulates blood flow/growth
    3 drops of Rosemary EO (NOW) growth
    3 drops of Tea Tree EO (NOW) antifungal/preservative.
    Makes 12 -16 oz. (Going by old EcoStyler Gel container stored in)

Sent from my LG-P509 using CurlTalk App
  • SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
    Protein Deep Conditioner:

2 levelled tablespoons of Real Mayonnaise
    1 egg
    Olive oil
    Rosemary oil (homemade)
    pinch of BofS (not using this again, though it didn't really damage my hair, just read that it was corrosive so I'm going to start avoiding it).

Directions:
    1. Get a bowl
    2. Mix everything apart from the egg in it till it looks like one thing and not 4 different things
    3. Add in the egg and mix it up really really well till again, the mixture looks as 1 and not 2 different things.
    Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.
  • SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
    Aloe Vera Hair Gel:

Fresh aloe vera (got mine straight from the plant)
    1 teaspoon of Rosemary oil (homemade)
    1 teaspoon of Canola oil
    1 teaspoon of water

Directions:
    1. Scrape the gel out of the aloe vera leaf into a bowl.
    2. Whisk it up with a spoon or fork for quite some time.
    3. Add in the oils and water
    4. Whisk it up some more (for a longer period of time now).
    5. If you want to, pour it into a blender. Blend it till it's smooth or however you want it. (optional)
    6. Pour it into a clean and clear seal-able bowl/a bowl with a cover.

I always get some shea butter in my hair before I use the aloe vera gel. This is to make sure my hair doesn't get dry, frizzy or crunchy.
    Oh! and yes, aloe vera is really, well, you'll see. When you place something in it then raise it out, a trail or line of aloe vera connects what you're holding and the aloe vera.
    To use the aloe vera gel, just get it on your hands, rub it up if you want to (if you don't want a possible mess, don't) then get it into your hair. It may look soapy or gooey kinda, but don't worry, once it dries up or is absorbed or whatever, it'll not look like that anymore. :chef:

I have to say, I love my aloe vera hair gel. :)
    Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    I made a batch of FSG last week and added a little gold colored mica powder . I used citric acid as a preservative and a little neroli oil for that orangey smell. Its a bit thin, so it slips through my fingers,
    I don't know if the gold mica actually got on my hair, but there are lots of sparkly spots on my floor.

The week before, I made FSG with some corn starch added. The thicker texture was easier to handle.
    Sammy, do you know how much AVG you end up with after you scrape it out?
    Southern Colorado Curly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file