Trouble with no poo

udoknowjacudoknowjac Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 247Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
After many years of trying no poo method and not liking the way it works I seem to finally be getting somewhere with it. But I have a few issues. I have 3B hair and live in Florida in case it matters!

Right now I am using Deva No Poo and One C. Then I use CK (about 2 or 3 puddles), Recoil (1 squirt) and BRHG. For the first few days I had wonderful hair. So good that I thought I had finally found my HG! But alas it did not last. What seems to be happening is that throughout the day my hair gets greasy and weighed down. I thought it might be that I was using too much product so I cut back a little on the CK. My hair did not look as good and still did get greasy.

I have been doing this for about 2 weeks now. I am wondering if I need to do an ACV rinse or something every once in awhile? Before going no poo I pretty much used all CG approved products. But I am not sure if I need to mix in a shampoo or ACV or something like that after a few weeks to perk my hair back up?

Perhaps it is the products I am using. The bummer is I get great bouncy curls but they do not hold or last the day. I also have KKKC and Knot Today. Perhaps that will be a better combo but I always had issues with the hold in that as well.

I am wondering if now that I am using Deva Products and no-pooing if I should shop around for other products to use. I really want to get big chunky curls!
I appreciate any thoughts or advice

Comments

• queenofdisks80queenofdisks80 Posts: 155Registered Users
    Your product line-up sounds good, I can't see that anything there would weigh you down in terms of being too moisturizing or oil/butter heavy. Are you using a LI? If you are, maybe try cutting that out, or using a lighter or just a smaller amount of RO.

Also, a strict CG routine isn't for everybody. You might try alternating co-washing w/ water washing or adding in a low-poo once a week or every two weeks. There's also clarifying w/ a baking soda and ACV routine. Play around and see what works for you. It's all about trial and error.
    3b/3c at nape/a little 3a on the sides, med-course, high porosity, colored.
    Protein sensitive, hard water.

spritz and condish
    low-poo: shea moisture, Y to Cucs (clarifying)
    RO: CJ A&OO, CJSL,GVPCB
    LI: CJ A&OO, CJCR
    DT:CJCR, GVPCB+evoo&honey
    stylers: FSG, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJCCCL, CJCIAB & Biolage gelee
    refresher:CJSL, CJCCCL, Lustrasilk OO
    PT: Sally's K-Pak, AO GPB
    Also, remember the dews in terms of your products. EHat might have worked for you in Spring might not hold up for you in a Fl Summer!

spritz and condish
  • udoknowjacudoknowjac Curl Connoisseur Posts: 247Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the advice. Right now I am not using a LI at all.

I am not able to get 2nd day hair at all so sometimes I am "washing" my hair every day. As I said above I use Deva No Poo and Deva One C in the shower. CK (about 3 puddles) Recoil (About 1 pump) and BRHG. As I stated at first my hair looked fantastic but now it seems to get greasy and weighed down very quickly

I have been reading posts and see alot of people tend complain about hair getting greasy after two weeks which is about where I am. Does anyone else have any ideas on what I might do?
    I haven't used those products, so I can't really tell you if they may be too heavy for your hair. Maybe someone else w/ experience of the Deva products can weigh in. I say try clarifying w/ an ACV rinse first. If that doesn't help, try the baking soda/ AVC combo as that's probably harsher than your Deva low poo. If you're still greasy, then maybe a true clarifying poo. I use the Kinky Curly Come Clean-it's apparently one of the harshest low poos around. Some find it too drying, but it leaves my hair softer than some of the other low poos I've tried (like Giovanni 50:50). I use it about once a month or so to help w/ hard water build up.

That's all I've got for now. Other than that, maybe you're having a reaction to an ingredient in one of your products? Maybe start using one at a time and see how your hair reacts. Start w/ just BRHG one day and if you're a little frizzy (due to lack of stylers) but aren't weighed down, then you know that's not the problem. Maybe even though CK+Re:coil+BRHG is usually a good combo, it's too much product for you? It's worth a try, but I'd definately start w/ some clarifying options.

spritz and condish

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file