Tips for Flat Ironing Transitioning hair

hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
I'm getting a flat iron this week and I'm new to using hair straightening hot tools. I haven't had my hair straightened with a hot tool since I was a little girl. I won't be flat ironing my hair often maybe twice a month or for a special occasion. I always use a heat protectant and never directly or indirectly style my hair with high heat. Are there any tips to avoid damaging both textures of hair?
Products I'm currently :love10::
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:

Comments

• Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    I'm getting a flat iron this week and I'm new to using hair straightening hot tools. I haven't had my hair straightened with a hot tool since I was a little girl. I won't be flat ironing my hair often maybe twice a month or for a special occasion. I always use a heat protectant and never directly or indirectly style my hair with high heat. Are there any tips to avoid damaging both textures of hair?
    Just make sure you have squeaky clean hair prior to that and moisturized with a dc.Apply any products you usually use heat protectant,moisturizer e.t.c. I usually blow dry also since my NG has lots of shrinkage but you might not need to.To avoid heat damage start using it at 360F(180C) and see how much your hair straightens.Work up the temperature till you have the straightness you want with only 2-3 at max passes (you can try the comb and chase method to see if it works on straightening your hair evenly).In some areas with coarser hair textures you will need to use more heat and places with fine hair less .That's all i can say.In your next wash day do a light protein treatment to just strengthen your hair and prevent split ends e.t.c that the straightening might cause.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file