Preferred Proteins

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
Which proteins does your hair prefer?

My hair loves hydrolyzed wheat protein and silk proteins. It does well with the others, but it just takes longer to see the results.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,305 Curl Connoisseur
    my hair prefers proteins that are not listed in the poll options.

first, Keratin

and second silk proteins

all others are 'meh' at best.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Keratin, and that's it. It hates the others.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    My hair likes all protein. I found for longer lasting porosity control I prefer Keratin the most followed by Wheat Protein in second place.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Banned Users Posts: 1,114 Curl Neophyte
    Keratin, Wheat & Silk are the best for me but it depends on the product formula. I tolerate most proteins though.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    Keratin, silk amino acids, and (I think) wheat protein also.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Hydrolyzed Collogen blows the other proteins away for me. But, my hair likes every protein I've tried so far (wheat, keratin, soy).
    I haven't specifically tried jojoba protein, but my hair hates jojoba.
    Afrosheenqueen- Sally's Neutral Protein Filler has keratin and wheat protein and is super cheap.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • Mimi2010Mimi2010 Registered Users Posts: 189
    This may be a silly question but is the best way to test which proteins one's hair likes? How does one know that their doesn't like protein?
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Registered Users Posts: 260
    My hair isn't protein sensitive, it's protein intolerant. LOL. I'm in a pickle because my porous hair needs protein and my coarse hair can't tolerate it. What's a gal to do?
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    nandiknits wrote: »
    My hair isn't protein sensitive, it's protein intolerant. LOL. I'm in a pickle because my porous hair needs protein and my coarse hair can't tolerate it. What's a gal to do?

I'm medium/coarse and porous.

I had to do a lot of trial and errors. There's no paper formula for telling which proteins at what concentration will work.

It's easiest to try one at a time. Testing in high dew points is also easier than testing in low dew points. I don't use protein at all in the winter, but I use a lot in the summer.

The only one I tolerate is keratin, and I use CJ Repair Me to get it. If I am out of that, I use the GVP knock off of Joico's KPak from Sally's.

Others do best with silk, others wheat or oats.

It's all trial and error. It can be frustrating, but it's what you have to do to find out what your hair likes.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Registered Users Posts: 478
    :toothy8: My hair loves wheat protein. I haven't tried any others, but the wheat protein really gives my curls bounce, and as long as that continues, I'll carry on using it.
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • MicrochipgirlMicrochipgirl Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Mimi2010 wrote: »
    This may be a silly question but is the best way to test which proteins one's hair likes? How does one know that their doesn't like protein?

New here. Did you ever find out/did anyone tell you about protein testing? Cause I'd love to know too :)
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    Microchipgirl:

First of all, welcome!

One easy way is to get two or three hair products that only has one of the proteins in them, and that protein is in the first five ingredients. After using them, you can tell how your hair feels afterward.

Sometimes, your hair reacts (positively or negatively) with a combination of proteins. With only one type of protein, your hair may not like it; but, with another protein, your hair will love it.

I began with one protein, and over the years discovered that soy protein works best on my hair when it's combined with another protein.

HTH :)
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • KirakishouKirakishou Registered Users Posts: 18
    Would you by any chance be willing to share any products you use that contain Hydrolyzed Collagen?
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Hydrolyzed Collogen blows the other proteins away for me. But, my hair likes every protein I've tried so far (wheat, keratin, soy).

Would you be willing to share what products you use that contain Hydrolyzed Collagen? I think my own hair might like it but I have to test it out again. A while back I colored my hair using Revlon's Colorsilk. It had Hydrolyzed Collagen in it and after I deep conditioned, my hair looked AMAZING! Never could replicate those results again lol But I think I might have found the culprit.
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Curl Neophyte
    The protein in gelatin is hydrolyzed collagen protein. Here's a very cheap way to get an amazing protein treatment:

http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/2012/05/science-y-hair-blogs-gelatin-protein.html?m=1
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Thank you so much! Is the Knox Original Unflavored Gelatine good for the gelatin I need in the recipe? Also, can you recommend a good moisturizer? I use Shea Moisture Raw Restorative Leave-In but it only causes build-up in my hair because it's so rich and waxy. I would like something with coconut oil as one of the first five ingredients in the moisturizer as it seems to keep protein from leaving.
    Yep, just the unflavored kind of gelatin that you find in the baking/canning/jello aisle :D

Actually, you'll get the most benefits from coconut oil when you put it on dry hair and leave it on overnight then wash/co-wash your hair in the morning. It's called an overnight pre-poo. I'll find some articles for you when I'm back home on the iMac. I'm riding shotgun on my way to a hair appt. at the moment.

As for the best deep treatments, I personally enjoy CJ Curl Rehab and Jessicurl Too Shea. I've heard nice things about the Sevi line also.

Sheamoisture is notorious for causing building up. Apparently it's the Shea Butter and there's a pretty substantial amount in most of their products. That line is referred to as being heavy, not rich.

You can make any conditioner into deeper conditioner by adding your own oil and honey to it. Like I said, I'll try and find better literature on these subjects when I'm back home.

Hope this helps for the time being.
    Upper Michigan Dews

Thanks! I can't wait to read them. I think I may finally be on to something with my hair. I've been struggling with keeping it moisturized for so long. I've pretty much given up on hairstylists. There aren't really many natural stylists in New Orleans and the one stylist I did have never tried to help me learn how to take care of my own hair. I even asked her and she just shrugged it off and told me to just keep up my appointments. :(

I always thought my hair was low porosity but not at all. Super highly porous. I'm taking all Shea Moisture products out of my routine. I can't deal with the build-up. I have the Moisture Retention Shampoo so I'm using it as a body wash to get rid of the rest of it. I wash my hair every week. I want to wash it every two weeks but I want to do protein treatments every week...How would that work?

I've switched to the Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo. It leaves my hair kind of squeaky clean but I usually do pre-poos before every wash with an Avocado, Castor, and Olive Oil mix. I might try Coconut Oil again as a pre-poo but in the past, it's never really done anything for my hair. But I was using it as a sealant so that might be why. I'll try it again and see what happens. I also use my own deep conditioner mix that I think works really well in conjunction with a protein treatment. I use Eden Bodyworks Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner, Palmer's Coconut Oil Protein Pack, Egg Yolks, Honey, Olive Oil and Avocado Oil and mix that together. I colored my hair with Revlon Colorsilk in Auburn Brown, used the conditioner that came in the box then deep conditioned with that mixture and my hair looked the best that it has ever looked. My curls were defined, moisturized and bouncy. I think I want to stick to that mix.

I also want to try the LOC method for my hair as well. I plan on using my spray bottle mix of water, Avocado Oil And Olive Oil (for now until I find a moisturizer) as my liquid, Avocado Oil as my Oil and Shea Butter as my cream. Do you think this sounds good? I hear that Olive Oil, Avocado Oil and Coconut Oil are the only oils with the ability to penetrate the hair strand but then there are other sources that say only Coconut Oil is small enough to...I'm so confused :(
    K, I'm back :D

Do you think you might benefit from a microscopic hair analysis? It would take all of the guess work of finding out exactly what your hair properties are, especially if you're not sure. Plus you could also get advice on ingredients that would be helpful to you and ones to stay clear of.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/GoosefootPrints

Yes, the Sheamoisture shampoo makes an excellent body wash, lol!
    I agree with you, the Kinky Curly Come Clean is very, very drying. Apparently it's the olefin sulfate in it that is especially harsh.
    Most people on these boards rave about the Yes To Cucumbers shampoo but I personally find it very drying as well so it's not something I would recommend if we have similar hair properties.

As for a very mild cleanser I am loving Jessicurl's Cleansing Cream. It has Cocamidopropyl Betaine as the 3rd ingredient after water and it is not at all stripping.

Here are a few articles that may be helpful:

Coconut Oil: Knowledge from our ancestors to our scientists
    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Coconut Oil: Knowledge from our ancestors to our scientists

Deep Conditioning, Part I
    Science-y Hair Blog: Deep Conditioning, Part I

Deep Conditioning, Part II
    Science-y Hair Blog: Deep Conditioning, Part II

Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?
    Science-y Hair Blog: Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?

I don't know much about the LOC method, sorry. I'd probably advise against using the shea butter again though!

Is there any reason why you don't wash your hair more than you do? Our hair needs some moisture (= water) so 2-3 times a week is beneficial. Even if you don't low poo, you could conditioner wash or even water wash.

Hope this helps :D
    Upper Michigan Dews

Mmm...Well I never really thought of washing my hair more then once a week. I did buy a co-wash recently so I think I might start co-washing once a week and shampooing less frequently but I'm often busy so I don't really have time to wash more then once a week. Thanks for all the info though. I'll be buying the rest of the ingredients for the gelatin treatment so I hope it works.
  • FimuFimu Registered Users Posts: 322 Curl Neophyte
  • africanaafricana Registered Users Posts: 65 Curl Neophyte
    Non vegan proteins.

- Type 4 hair
    - Trying CG life, again !

• virginbluevirginblue Registered Users Posts: 194
    ALL THE PROTEINS. Honesty, my hair almost can't get enough. Hydrolyzed collagen works the best, especially gelatin, which makes me feel kind of guilty being a vegetarian and all :/
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment
  • FimuFimu Registered Users Posts: 322 Curl Neophyte
  • virginbluevirginblue Registered Users Posts: 194
    Fimu wrote: »
    virginblue wrote: »
    ALL THE PROTEINS. Honesty, my hair almost can't get enough. Hydrolyzed collagen works the best, especially gelatin, which makes me feel kind of guilty being a vegetarian and all :/

I know that feel. But I'm wondering: isn't it just the same as buying leather shoes and bags? (if you do that)

Yeah that's true. I mean, hell, the seats in my car are leather. I just feel being a vegetarian means people see you as holding yourself to a higher moral standard, so it's more of a fear of being judged thing.
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file