Wig Shop Snub

adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I like to wear wigs to work and my natural 4a hair when I'm off. I went into this wig store today where I've made purchases twice before. My mother has also patronized this business. Anyway I look around and I'm not thrilled about the selection. I don't like really long or blonde highlite wigs because to me they look too unnatural. Plus, I work in tv and my boss wouldn't like it. Anyway I see one I like the shape but not the color. The sales lady sales pulls out two other similar wigs that are dar. A beverly johnson and a vivica fox.. both around $70. I say okay I want to buy a wig cap. And she says I can't try it on, not even looking me in the eye. Then she goes on to say "It's nothing against you but we had a customer with hair like yours and the wig was torn. My boss would have a fit if you tried it on. When you tone down your hair a bit, we'll be waiting."
I didn't say anything but I was pissed. I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. What do you guys think?
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    I like to wear wigs to work and my natural 4a hair when I'm off. I went into this wig store today where I've made purchases twice before. My mother has also patronized this business. Anyway I look around and I'm not thrilled about the selection. I don't like really long or blonde highlite wigs because to me they look too unnatural. Plus, I work in tv and my boss wouldn't like it. Anyway I see one I like the shape but not the color. The sales lady sales pulls out two other similar wigs that are dar. A beverly johnson and a vivica fox.. both around $70. I say okay I want to buy a wig cap. And she says I can't try it on, not even looking me in the eye. Then she goes on to say "It's nothing against you but we had a customer with hair like yours and the wig was torn. My boss would have a fit if you tried it on. When you tone down your hair a bit, we'll be waiting."
    I didn't say anything but I was pissed. I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. What do you guys think?

Hell to the naw your NOT overreacting! As a matter of fact I think you underreacted! I would have gone the hell off in the store after I asked that beyoth wth she meant. Knowing damn well she wouldn't have been able to provide me w/a good explanation I still would have afforded her the opportunity to clean up her statement & then all hell would have broken loose.

If I were you I definitely would have demanded to speak to a manager, made a complaint & if the manager didn't attempt to rectify the situation I would have ensured him that I nor my mother would ever shop there again, I would be telling all my friends to not shop there & I would have reported them to the BBB!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • CelladoorCelladoor Posts: 39Registered Users
    I agree, you are not overreacting at all! I, being my way-too-shy-for-my-own-good-self would probably not have been able to stand up for myself in-store, but I would definitely be fuming if somebody treated me that way.. and if my mum was there, I can only imagine the curses that would be coming out of her :P
  • CelladoorCelladoor Posts: 39Registered Users
    If I were you though, I would come back to the store, and let the manager know that you've bought there previously, but the last time you went you were treated unfairly and discriminated against, and that you are inclined not to shop there again.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Part of the reason I didn't say anything is that the clerk said this was coming from the owner. I've seen the owner before so I knew she wasn't there that day. I'm not going to bother arguing with clerk.

Anyway, I ordered a cute wig that is classy and reasonably priced. but I try to shop locally to support small biz even when I know I can get better deals on line. I actually had told the clerk that. Not anymore. They're not getting another dime.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • HedyHedy Posts: 173Registered Users
    If natural hair rips wigs, how come Miley Cyrus could fit all seven feet of her extensions in one? Teehee.
    So..um...I kinda fell off the CG wagon. I got sick of long curly hair about 6 months ago. I currently have a short a-line, which I flat iron, although I also wear it wavy sometimes. I still use sulfate-free poos (I'm madly in love with the Bodyshop's rainforest moisture) and silicone free conditioners.
    Want to get money back on your Drugstore.com, Walgreen and Sally Beauty purchases? Check out Sunshine Rewards!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Hell to the naw your NOT overreacting! As a matter of fact I think you underreacted! I would have gone the hell off in the store after I asked that beyoth wth she meant. Knowing damn well she wouldn't have been able to provide me w/a good explanation I still would have afforded her the opportunity to clean up her statement & then all hell would have broken loose.

If I were you I definitely would have demanded to speak to a manager, made a complaint & if the manager didn't attempt to rectify the situation I would have ensured him that I nor my mother would ever shop there again, I would be telling all my friends to not shop there & I would have reported them to the BBB!

+1 That's outrageous and totally unprofessional.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • BrittneeAubreex3BrittneeAubreex3 Posts: 309Registered Users

you're not overreacting. that's discrimination.
    :love2: as of 6/12/11.

COwash- Suave Juicy Apple.
    Rinse-out- VO5 Passion Fruit Moisture Milks.

Recovering from a bad glue-in extension job. :sad7:
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    She definitely could have handled things better but honestly, as a business owner, I do understand her concerns about ruining merchandise. If it was me, I would have insisted on helping you try the wig on, that way I could ensure you didn't pull to hard on it, which is what I assume is the reason the previous one was damaged.

Having tried on many a wig in my time, I always have a tough time with it, and actually would really welcome the help.
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    When you tone down your hair a bit, we'll be waiting."

I think this is where it goes WAY to far...I'm mean I can understand her being a little cautious because it HAS happened before (even though I don't believe it was because or her hair). BUT when she says when YOU should tone down your hair and WE'LL be waiting, it makes it sound like you should be great full for them even letting you try on their wigs. I would of just said fine and walked away. There no sense in starting a scene when you can do much more damage by taking your money else where. In these times, places like that need as much business as they can get. They can't afford to disrespect customers like that.
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file