The Big Chop!!!

hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
I'm thinking about doing the big chop in September or October of this year. I am currently 9 weeks post relaxer. I have about 2 inches of new growth. I'm wonder has anyone done the big chop? I'm pretty spontaneous however, cutting off majority of my hair is a big risk. My relaxed hair is pretty damaged towards the back of my hair. I really want to have my natural curl pattern back. How often should I do trims during my transition? Does doing a mini/big chop help ease the process of transitioning?
Products I'm currently :love10::
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:

Comments

• SimplyGracefulSimplyGraceful Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey I'm about 2 months post with an inch and a half of new growth. I plan to transition for the long term but I hear a log of people say that when they do the big chop it gets a lot easier to handle their hair. I am personally gonna get a trim every six months until I'm natural. How many times u get a trim would definitely depend on when you want to bc. I would think maybe do a mini chop now and the chop off the rest in October
  • almondy127almondy127 Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have been transitioning for 10 months now and I did a mini chop in January and a trim last month. To me it makes it easier only because I am trying to prepare myself for how I would look with shorter hair. But it does make me want to bc sooner than I planned. Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using CurlTalk App
  • NishaNickoleNishaNickole Posts: 8Registered Users
    Hi!!

I just completed my Big Chop last Thursday and although my hair stylist said other people have had to cut way more hair than me, it was still a shock and sometimes still is a shock to have majority of my hair cut off..

BUT i DONT regret it ONE BIT! :toothy4:I absolutely LOVE my natural hair and ALL of my styles come out way better now...

So my advice is to do it! No matter how short it may be you will love it when its finished !!!:iconbiggrin:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I have no problem doing a mini chop but I guess as my relaxed hair gets harder to maintain I'll be snipping off more than I usually do. I normally dust my ends on a regular basis. I hope to be natural by January 2012.
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Hi!!

I just completed my Big Chop last Thursday and although my hair stylist said other people have had to cut way more hair than me, it was still a shock and sometimes still is a shock to have majority of my hair cut off..

BUT i DONT regret it ONE BIT! :toothy4:I absolutely LOVE my natural hair and ALL of my styles come out way better now...

So my advice is to do it! No matter how short it may be you will love it when its finished !!!:iconbiggrin:

I agree short hair can look great on anyone. Babies are born practically bald so why not. I'm okay with short hair I have neck length hair as of right now. I think I would big chop once I have half natural half relaxed. I plan on doing a mini chop in October. I'll be 6 months post relaxer by then.
  • reCoiledreCoiled Posts: 21Registered Users
    I planned for a long term transition, but in practice it has been too much of a pain to have two textures. My last relaxed was Dec 2010, and my BC is this Sunday.
    3c/4a (too short to tell), Normal porosity, M/C
    BC: 06/10/11 CG: 06/22/11
    :occasion7:
    SheaM Poo, AOHR, KCKT, KCCC, homemade DTs
    tionna wrote: »
    I planned for a long term transition, but in practice it has been too much of a pain to have two textures. My last relaxed was Dec 2010, and my BC is this Sunday.

Congrats ! I hope all goes well. Post the results if you can.
  • NaturallyExotic17NaturallyExotic17 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey! I am also thinking about doing the big chop but im not sure if i should give it a few more months...however if you go the long route and get your hair trimmed every once in a while you have to remember that you have to treat your natural hair one way and your relaxed hair a diff way which is alot of work and if you are not extremly careful your relaxed ends will break off and you will end up having to get a big chop anyway. So just be really careful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file