Need advice on hair products!

NaturalyPrettyhairNaturalyPrettyhair Posts: 18Registered Users
Hello everyone I am 4 months into transitioning to natural hair! I need some info on some products, right now I'm useing mixed silk elements products also using silk elements olive oil mosturizing treatment conditioner, and once a month a do a cholesterol treatment with silk elements mega cholesterol, and I use hawiian silky and shea butter cream...and jabba oil. I love what these product do to my hair my hair absolutly loves them but my friend told me about the organix products and how they work really good and she told me that the shampoo I'm using from mixed silk elements is bad because it has laureth sulfate, but I haven't experience anything different with my hair. Should I switch up my products or should I keep them??

Sent from my SGH-T839 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• new@this[email protected] Posts: 5Registered Users
    I use the same Silk Elements products! When I read your post I thought I posted it. I love these products. I have been transitioning since feb. 2010 and I have always used Silk elements. I am not sure if we transitioners should be using them, I can't help you with that. But this is a great question, can't wait to see the responses.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using CurlTalk App
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    Hello everyone I am 4 months into transitioning to natural hair! I need some info on some products, right now I'm useing mixed silk elements products also using silk elements olive oil mosturizing treatment conditioner, and once a month a do a cholesterol treatment with silk elements mega cholesterol, and I use hawiian silky and shea butter cream...and jabba oil. I love what these product do to my hair my hair absolutly loves them but my friend told me about the organix products and how they work really good and she told me that the shampoo I'm using from mixed silk elements is bad because it has laureth sulfate, but I haven't experience anything different with my hair. Should I switch up my products or should I keep them??

Check out my thread in this forum titled Products for Transitioning Hair. I listed all the products I currently use for my hair. I hope this helps. Good luck with trying out products. If the products you're using now are working for you, stick with them.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • OrigNaturalGoddessOrigNaturalGoddess Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hi!
    I do not use silk elements, but I can tell you that using sulfate shampoos on a frequent basis can be bad for any type of hair. It is extremely important, though, in transitioning hair because the place where your natural hair and processed hair meet can become very dry and damaged, causing breakage. Your best bet is a sulfate free shampoo. I sometimes use sulfate shampoos, but I only use them once a month at the most, then follow with an overnight deep condition with a moisturizing and deep penetrating deep conditioner. I use oosika sulfate free thickening shampoo every week and aphogee shampoo for damaged hair about once a month. I also often do cowashes as well using suave naturals coconut conditioner or organix brazilian keratin therapy conditioner. I use cantu shea butter leave ins, aphogee leave in, aphogee 2 min reconstructor, raw organic coconut oil, evoo, tea tree oil, and a few other natural oils to seal in moisture as well. Another great deep conditioner is olive oil deep penetrating deep conditioner. These are a few of the products that I use that work for me. I was natural for two years, then texurized my hair last december, I have been transitioning since then (about six months now). I have a 3c texture. I hope this helped!

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using CurlTalk App
  • NaturalyPrettyhairNaturalyPrettyhair Posts: 18Registered Users
    thanks soo much all of you guyses advice helped.. thank you :)

one more question even though i use sulfate shampoo, wouldnt my hair be protected with the mosturizing conditioning treatmwnts im using? right now my current conditioners i use are mixed silk nourishing conditioner, silk elements olive oil conditioner, aphogee mosturizing conditioner and I'm using a colesterol conditioner, and my leave in is hawiian silky 14 in 1 conditioner.

• OrigNaturalGoddessOrigNaturalGoddess Posts: 5Registered Users
    Not necessarily, sulfate shampoos are filled with detergents. Similar to what you find in dish or laundry soaps. These can be extremely drying for the hair. A very good conditioner can replace much of the stripped moisture, but not the natural oils. Also, when rinsing out your shampoo or whilst applying conditioner, because your hair is very dry and fragile, just running your fingers through your hair can cause breakage. The wear and tear that does on your hair is detrimental. Just be super cautious. Remember that the ends of your hair are the oldest, making them more likely to become damaged. That damage can travel up the strand, damaging the healthy natural hair and making it that much harder to retain length.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using CurlTalk App
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    one more question even though i use sulfate shampoo, wouldnt my hair be protected with the mosturizing conditioning treatmwnts im using? right now my current conditioners i use are mixed silk nourishing conditioner, silk elements olive oil conditioner, aphogee mosturizing conditioner and I'm using a colesterol conditioner, and my leave in is hawiian silky 14 in 1 conditioner.

Sulfate shampoos can strip the hair (i have found some sulfate free ones that do the same thought) but sometimes they are beneficial because if your sls free shampoo doesn't do that and if you are using lot's of products on you hair with cones,heave oils e.t.c most likely they will build up on your hair to an amont that a sls free shampoo can't properly remove.So after that when you deep condition since an amount of build up is still there it doesn't enable you hair to fully absorb (if hair really does absorb) your moisturizing treatment.So for me i believe a normal shampoo or a chelating shampoo if you have hard water (not talking about a plain clarifying one because that is extremely drying) is extremely beneficial .
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
    Thank you guys this really helps! :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file