CurlTalk

Good cuts..(trims) for curly hair

I have TONS if split ends :sad10: and I really want to get my hair trimmed, but every time I go in to get it TRIMMED they cut it all off. I need to know what to tell them, so they dont cut it all off! Any pics or suggestions? HELP!

Thanks (:

Comments

• creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Tell them you want no more than a half of inch or one inch taken off.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Do a search on here for the term Deva Cut
    You'll be happy that you did :iconbiggrin:
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Ask for a "dusting", or at most, tell them no more than 1/4" taken off. Given that hair grows on average 1/2" per month (YMMV), with just a dusting or 1/4" max trim, you can still gain length while keeping your ends to your liking.

I usually trim 1/4" every 8 weeks and slowly gain length that way. However, 1-2x per year, I ask for a full inch off the bottom because sometimes the look and feel of my ends above that usual 1/4" or even 1/2" trim area needs more help.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • mellowgirl09mellowgirl09 Banned Posts: 188Banned Users
    I've gone through this as well. I tell them about 20 times that I am growing my hair out and not to trim any more then 1/4th inch. Then I tell them 10 more times. I don't care how ridiculous I sound. Some still trim too much but I make such a big deal about it I no longer leave with half of my hair gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: 3c, medium strand, high volume, soft
    About: Loves moisture
    Current Length: mid neck when curly / bra strap length when straight
    Goal: At least collarbone length when curly
    Regime: KC Knot Today leave in, KC Curling Custard and Aveda shine serum. Style of choice wash and gos and braid outs.
    Pet Peeves: Hair breakage at the nape if wearing tight ponytails. Different curl patterns, looser in front and tighter in back.
    Hair pros: High shine and bounce.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    Yup tell them 1/4" and be adamant about it. Just remember their idea of 1/4" and yours are completely different. They always seem to take off double (or more) what you tell them. Guess they haven't looked at a ruler lately? I've been so tempted to take in a measuring tape. :laughing1:
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • mellowgirl09mellowgirl09 Banned Posts: 188Banned Users
    missbanjo wrote: »
    Yup tell them 1/4" and be adamant about it. Just remember their idea of 1/4" and yours are completely different. They always seem to take off double (or more) what you tell them. Guess they haven't looked at a ruler lately? I've been so tempted to take in a measuring tape. :laughing1:

I ruler isn't such a bad Idea. I mean it's not like they're the one's that has to walk around with a fro 8-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: 3c, medium strand, high volume, soft
    About: Loves moisture
    Current Length: mid neck when curly / bra strap length when straight
    Goal: At least collarbone length when curly
    Regime: KC Knot Today leave in, KC Curling Custard and Aveda shine serum. Style of choice wash and gos and braid outs.
    Pet Peeves: Hair breakage at the nape if wearing tight ponytails. Different curl patterns, looser in front and tighter in back.
    Hair pros: High shine and bounce.