Coming off as being self-absorbed?

proctorsweetieproctorsweetie Posts: 93Registered Users
It seems normal for women to dedicate plenty of time straightening their hair, worrying about products aimed at straight hair, etc. However, now that I'm trying out the CG method and starting to take care of my curls, friends and family think it's superficial and self-absorbant to try and keep my curls nice. I'm not spending hours in front of the mirror, poking at myself--I'm simply buying new, CG-friendly products and following a different shower routine! It's irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction?
I think Bumble&Bumble put it best: WILD CHILD AMAZON WARRIOR BOMBSHELL

2c/3a Botticelli curls
started CG 27. May 2011
:wave:
Curl inspiration: Nicole Kidman's natural curls, the 80's/90's careers of Laetitia Casta & Eva Herzigova, the artwork of Milo Manara

Comments

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I first started experimenting with the CG method about 3 or 4 months ago, I bought a lot of new products to replace my old ones and spent so much time reading about hair... so naturally I ended up talking about hair ad nauseam. It's just a phase and I don't think it's self-absorption, just enthusiasm. People don't understand how much misinformation we've grown up with and how eye-opening the CG method can be.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People call my "obsession" with my hair vain and self-absorbed all the time. My response is..."You mad? How does this affect you? Oh yea, it doesn't. Moving on..."
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyAussieCurlyAussie Posts: 12Registered Users
    When people say nasty things about my hair, I really want to explain how hard it is to get it to look the way it is, etc. But i refrain because I'm worried they'll think im self absorbed! :/
    3a curls with a few 3b framing
    Normal elasticity
    Organic Care sul. free hydration shampoo once a fortnight
    Organic Care sul. free Con.
    Hair still gets a little frizzy :/
    :blob3: No one can stop me showing off my curls!:blob3:
  • WavyshibbyWavyshibby Posts: 165Registered Users
    Same thing with my family and friends. Granted, I'm hair obsessed, but I don't see it as a negative thing to try to make my hair the best it could be.I say, It's part of grooming, you want me to go out with messy frizzy hair? Fine, then I'll continue using products. And stop bothering me about my curls, at least I'm embracing my natrual texture instead of spending two hours in front of a mirror with a flat iron like my dad wanted me to do all the time.

To heck with them, I'd they had our hair they'd understand!
    2c/3a, fine texture, normal porosity, medium-to-thick
    Co wash: Vo5 Extra Body
    Conditioners: Deva One Condition, GVP CB, Loreal Evercurl
    Stylers: Devacurl ArcAngel, KCCC, AG Recoil, Iso Bouncy Creme, Ecostyler Krystal, CCCCL, KCKT
    Low Poo: Devacurl NoPoo, GTTT
    Hair likes: plopping, diffusing, SMaster's, coconut and argan oil, honey, protein
    "What makes a woman unforgettable? Her mind...surrounded by lots of naturally curly hair"
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I completely admit that I go a little overboard sometimes. My younger sister was making comments about how hair-obsessed I was when the family got together for the holidays. That night after mass, I had a woman approach me and say something along the lines of "not only is your hair absolutely gorgeous, but you have an amazing voice." Of course I had to mention the comment to my family :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • unicyclistunicyclist Posts: 181Registered Users
    Same :(
    However, I totally don't blame my friends and family for thinking that because I'm always checking up on my hair, changing products, coming in the room with t-shirts on my head...
    I think once I just find something that works I'll stop all this. I just feel so bad/guilty about it sometimes. Does anyone else?
    Routine
    Weekly Shampoo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean + Coconut Oil
    Co-wash/RO: Cure Care Skin & Hair Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Techniques
    • combing to detangle and separate curls
    • scrunch 'n pump!
    • t-shirt turban
    Hair :love1: coconut oil and protein
    Hair :angry7: silicones, sulfates, glycerin, synthetic ingredients

2c/C/ii/low porosity. Growing out!
    *November- above chin
    *January- at chin
    *March- around collarbone
    :)
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users
    unicyclist wrote: »
    Same :(
    However, I totally don't blame my friends and family for thinking that because I'm always checking up on my hair, changing products, coming in the room with t-shirts on my head...
    I think once I just find something that works I'll stop all this. I just feel so bad/guilty about it sometimes. Does anyone else?

HECK NO I don't feel bad, lolol! In my opinion, everyone has their own thing. For me, it's hair, makeup and nails. I stay in court wearing the same suit that I've had since 1998 after my freshman year in college :tongue5:. Yeah, I'm getting old. I just don't care about clothes that way. I don't care about accessories, purses, shoes (DSW is the debil), etc. I like what I like, and I make no apologies about it.

The flip-side is that I don't talk about it with others a lot either. It's my deal, and I indulge myself, but I don't talk about my purchases or routines with others, unless they're similarly obsessed.
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    you know what I like to say: if you've got it then flaunt it and just be confident!!
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file